PDA

View Full Version : Diff Cover question & idea

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-03-2011, 04:15 PM
the rear diff cover on my D35 has the fill hole with the rubber grommet that says Dana Corp on it.... it leaks... two things: i am worried about water getting inside, and it destroys my lime green paint job. so i am wondering, can i drill and tap the hole and use a regular plug?? maybe the plug from a front dif cover? will this cause any issues, other than the fact that, like the front, i will need to hae a wrench to remove and inspect the fluid level. i got the idea from the fact that the front dif is always engaged (AWD + Full time hubs) and it gets the same workout as the rear dif does, and its fine. one time i actually ran without the front dshaft, and the front was ice cold, but the rear was extremely hot... i also saw this today on my twitter timeline:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02/the-new-diff-cover-for-the-ram-hd-is-a-work-of-art.html

for the lazy:
http://blogs.cars.com/.a/6a00d83451b3c669e2014e86178254970d-800wi

b4 it starts, its Dodges new stock dif cover for HD tow package... its designed to cool better due to its heat sink design. if it gets clogged so what, it wont cool any better or any less, it will be just like a reg diff cover, and air cooled quads and bikes dont overheat when i run mine thru the mud...

i like the idea of the fill plug... so, is this possible on the D35 cover? i have a few laying in my shop, and i figure, why not? has anyone tried this with good results?

OverkillZJ
03-03-2011, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't spend more than the cost of a roll of duct tape and tube of JB weld on a Dana 35. Let it leak a lil'

Super Scout
03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Yeah I agree

john00TJ
03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't spend more than the cost of a roll of duct tape and tube of JB weld on a Dana 35. Let it leak a lil'

well said

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-03-2011, 09:42 PM
i cant afford, nor want 60s under my rig... it was just an idea... which i will tackle later tonight... not everyone has 44As, 44Ss, 60s, 70s, or 9s under their rig....

tjblair
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
just get a new rubber plug and put a little RTV on it.

OverkillZJ
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
i cant afford, nor want 60s under my rig... it was just an idea... which i will tackle later tonight... not everyone has 44As, 44Ss, 60s, 70s, or 9s under their rig....
That's fine and dandy - all the more reason not to drop more than $5 on your 30. Those finned covers are pricey.

wozz
03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
How the heck is a leaking diff destroying your paint job? Unless you painted your diff and are taking about that.

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-03-2011, 10:24 PM
i do have it painted... i even clear coated it... its peeling away when i pressure wash the oil off the cover..

i never said i was buying a new finned diff cover... re-read it... i said i have a spare 35 over sitting here... i said i wanted to fix the leaky oil and that i wanted to tap the hole for a standard plug...

OverkillZJ
03-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Your 2nd to last sentence led me to believe you were considering the purchase. I admit I don't read every word of every post, honestly because with the likes of Doty and Gibson lately, I'm afraid that if I read more on here I'll just become stupid.

Jokes aside - if you have the time I don't see why it couldn't be done, I just wouldn't invest the time myself. There's more productive things. Like sleeping.

There are covers available with screw in plugs, but it comes down to money. Other option is time. For me both are valuable so I'd still clean the plug with brake cleaner, apply RTV,and probably be leak free. My a44 plug leaks (also rubber) - I just couldn't care less.

wozz
03-03-2011, 10:39 PM
i do have it painted... i even clear coated it... its peeling away when i pressure wash the oil off the cover..

i never said i was buying a new finned diff cover... re-read it... i said i have a spare 35 over sitting here... i said i wanted to fix the leaky oil and that i wanted to tap the hole for a standard plug...

I wouldn't wash it. Let your jeep proudly mark its territory!!

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-03-2011, 10:39 PM
i understand, but now that i'm jobless, and i cant fill out apps at places that are closed, and i can only take so much of the online stuff, that when its 2 in the morning, i need something to do in the garage... i'll post up the one or two pics... my fluid needed changed and filled up anyway, and this is just an excuse....

muddeprived
03-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Do it. What harm can it do? My rear 8.25 rubber plug is leaking and I sealed it with RTV....still leaking.

jim91303
03-04-2011, 04:52 AM
here is what i have done to my derby trans and diffs.
1. drill out hole to size you want ... i went with 1/2''
2. bolt in a 1/2'' bolt in the hole
3. weld the nut to the inside of cover
4. pick up small pack of teflon washers and bolt it up.

i never had issues of leaking or water. plus if ya damage the pug on the trail ... a 1/2'' bolt will fix ya up.

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-04-2011, 05:08 AM
i'm likin the fact that i would be able to carry a $5 bag of spares on the trail...

highlandercj-7
03-04-2011, 08:07 AM
How big is the hole when the rubber plug is removed? The only way I see it not working is if there is not enough clearence to the ring or carrier behind the hole. I'd tap it and put a pipe plug in it. Fixed for less than 1.00

joshs1ofakindxj
03-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Use an NPT tap for a pipe plug like the front differential has so you get the best possible seal. You can get those taps individually at Fastenal.