PDA

View Full Version : Where to shoot??

bell22
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Looking for somewhere to shoot. Used to belong to PMSC years and years ago when it was actually still in Monroeville. But haven't belonged to a club in forever. Thought about joining another one, but looking to see if there's any pay-per-use ranges or anywhere else to shoot around the region.

ridgerunner97
03-07-2011, 08:06 PM
My dad is a member of PMSC, I'm going to renew my membership here pretty soon, I let it expire last year. I love the facilities there, they have a 300yd rifle range, outdoor pistol range, indoor pistol range, 3d archery range, trap, skeet, 5 stand trap, and a sporting clays course. Pretty sure they have some other things as well. The new banquet hall is extremely nice as well.

bell22
03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I haven't been up there since I helped build the indoor archery range when it was just opening. Kind of pricey for membership compared to others around but I guess they do have alot more ammenities.

ridgerunner97
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
^ Actually they were comparable when my friends were pricing around, at least locally to us.

sethman15210
03-07-2011, 11:29 PM
the state range in wexford is free,, just a thought. im actually going there tomorrow and wednesday

bell22
03-07-2011, 11:36 PM
the state range in wexford is free,, just a thought. im actually going there tomorrow and wednesday

But limited to I think 3 rounds in a rifle at a time right?

sethman15210
03-07-2011, 11:37 PM
ahhhh, its free. but sometimes if no ones there i forget to count (shhhh)

bell22
03-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I hear ya...just don't wanna get nailed with a fine after blowing thru a few 30 rd. mags.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I heard about some proposed legislation in PA after this past summer's public range douchebaggery* that would require you to have a permit to use any state owned public range. Not sure about where it currently stands.

I recommend you move to the country and buy some land and have the best time of your life. I would never, ever go to a public range where they require you to leave your weapon at the bench while you go check your target. What a joke.

*People from Jersey (go figure) and that militia guy that shot a lawyer while he was downrange checking his target so he could steal the lawyers sweet rifle.

bell22
03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I recommend you move to the country and buy some land and have the best time of your life. I would never, ever go to a public range where they require you to leave your weapon at the bench while you go check your target. What a joke.

*People from Jersey (go figure) and that militia guy that shot a lawyer while he was downrange checking his target so he could steal the lawyers sweet rifle.

That's my plan in a few years but until then I need to find somewhere. I agree, don't like the idea of someone 'watching' me go downrange while leaving my weapons behind.

HoodRN
03-08-2011, 09:39 AM
ahhhh, its free. but sometimes if no ones there i forget to count (shhhh)

It's only free till 4-1-2011, then you will need a permit to use the range. As far as mag capacity goes, just because you don't see anyone doesn't mean someone isn't watching (or listening).

EddyB
03-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Sadly you also have to worry about being shot while on the line from the poor handling skills of those there. I think the permit idea is great, it will keep the riff raff out. It is my understanding that if you have a current hunting license you would not need the permit.

PMSC is a great club and is very reasonable for what have access to. I shoot there once a month and would join if it were closer.

jackb1
03-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I belong to Millvale Sportsmen (near the 910 range). It isn't the best place around but has been making many improvements lately. It is, I think anyway, very reasonably priced.

Super Scout
03-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I shoot up at my uncles farm, whenever I want its fantastic lol

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Money from hunting licenses is what builds the game lands ranges right? (not being a smartass, just asking) I don't have a problem with only people who purchase a license being able to use them then. I go to the public range by laughlintown(sp?) or friends farms

JeepSteeler
03-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I belong to Millvale Sportsmen (near the 910 range). It isn't the best place around but has been making many improvements lately. It is, I think anyway, very reasonably priced.

Are they taking applications for members? I've heard it's a decent place to go but I don't know anyone who is a member.

jackb1
03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Are they taking applications for members? I've heard it's a decent place to go but I don't know anyone who is a member.

Now you do. As of Jan 1 they had openings, not sure if they've filled by now or not. Seems it is usually around 100% full but not usually quite full. You can find the info on the website about signing up. I don't recall anything about it myself. I think about $100 to sign up and $100 ($85?) a year.

ridgerunner97
03-08-2011, 07:44 PM
^ Thats about what PMSC's is last time I heard. I think most of the ranges around are pretty similar in price range.

YZEATER
03-08-2011, 08:18 PM
yes, the hunting license fee's pay for the ranges. you will need a permit or a hunting license to use the state game lands ranges if it passes.

thankfully i never had to use one of those ranges. at my buddies place we have a range right at his house, or we can take a ride to an old strip job and shoot as far as we feel like it that day.

JeepSteeler
03-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Now you do. As of Jan 1 they had openings, not sure if they've filled by now or not. Seems it is usually around 100% full but not usually quite full. You can find the info on the website about signing up. I don't recall anything about it myself. I think about $100 to sign up and $100 ($85?) a year.

Thanks for the info Jackb - I'll check it out and see if I can join up. I usually shoot at my camp but it's a 2 hour drive so it would be nice to have a local option that isn't the Wexford range. Much appreciated....