PDA

View Full Version : Junkyard LA solution??

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-18-2011, 11:02 PM
i've been following this, and i am kinda curious as to whether it will work or not. i mean it should, in theory, work, as to whether it will be functional and worth it, is another point. what do you think, PGH??

here, all on one page:
http://www.nagca.com/forum/printthread.php?t=43503&pp=40

i only ask, because me, being the cheap azz i am, would have access to a great many of the Ram, Rodeo, and PathFinders when Amy restocks the u-pull-it side, and would prob be better than the tin foil control arms that a stock grand has. dont get me wrong, the control arms and bushings are the only thing that hasnt given me trouble, but, i figure, as stated in the link, that the rear CAs are longer than the front. so i could in theory use Ram CAs in the back, and stock rear ZJ CAs in the front and that would be better for a F>R swap. thats the theory anyway. so criticize, debate, and share, plz. then the only thing that would hinder me would be the section of the control arm bracket on all four lowers that would would hit the tops of the CAs, yes? so i would clearence one or the other, maybe a little off both? again, all speculation, so tell me yes, no, ur baked, gtfo, good idea...

ridgerunner97
03-18-2011, 11:55 PM
If you don't move the frame side mounting points and make the control arms longer, all your doing is lengthening your wheelbase and then you hve to redo all the steering, and the tracbar for it to all line up. Epic bad idea batman. HOWEVER, I have seen the reuse of 70s ford radius arm setups in the front of XJ's with great success, obviously the individual doing the swap made a custom belly pan for the Ford Radius arms to attach too. I wouldn't **** with it, if your going to the trouble, garbage pick some steel and make a crossmember and your own custom longarms, joints are expensive, but it would be easier and much more worth it than trying to cobble together a ****stick special and causing headaches for yourself. Just my .02 Gary, not trying to piss on your parade, but am trying to be realistic :)

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-19-2011, 12:05 AM
If you don't move the frame side mounting points and make the control arms longer, all your doing is lengthening your wheelbase and then you hve to redo all the steering, and the tracbar for it to all line up. :)

i understand, you're not hurtinmy feelings, thats why i posted, for input. however, when you lift a quadra-coil veh, (i.e.my ZJ) to about 4-5 inches, the CAs fold under the vehicle, and shorten the WB, not much, but a tiny bit. so in theory, if i were to do the project above, with the stock Ram and ZJ fixed CAs, it would kinda be like a vehicle came like that at the stock hieght. kinda like if ZJs came stock 5 inches higher than they were, but stock that way, idk how to explain that one, but...
like i said above, if it does work, ill only have to buy one pair of coils, and 4 new shocks at $33 a piece with my discount. if it doesnt, my veh stays stock on 32s, and i will continue to work on and build my own full suspension with new crossmembers, and all 8 adjustable links, both trac bars, the tie rod, and all new ends... to me, tho, if i can spend 400, or over a grand, im gonna spend the 400, and have an equally capable rig, with all stock Mopar parts, so all i gotta do if a piece breaks, i simply go to the JY 5 min away, or to a napa, and im good. no waiting for shipping from CA for a ballistic joint, johhny joint, piece of DOM, etc. not tryin to sound like a smart ass, you know me, but thats how im lookin at it. dont get me wrong, if i could, everything would be all powder coated DOMtubing, all heims and JJs, and 4 skyjacker coils, and fox shocks, but i r not rich... baha

ridgerunner97
03-19-2011, 12:19 AM
LOL you don't gotta be rich to get it done right Gary, you know how I operate. I still don't think your going to have hte clearance due to the control arm angle interfering with the top of the control arm pockets on the lower axle mounts. You follow? They brought it up in the NAGCA thread. I've mangled my XJ's and all it did was weaken them, I guarantee I hit a rock face pretty hard or even a tall root or something hard, its going to pogo them into pretzels and they will fail cuz they are dented and crinkled from contactin the top of hte lower control arm mounts. I'd save my penny's and do it right. I'm in the process of saving my pennies to longarm mine. If I can save the money being a broke ass college kid, i'm certain you can save just the same :) Be patient, watch for deals.

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-19-2011, 02:14 AM
i see what you're sayin... it kinda was spur of the moment, cause im kinda sorta tired of being stock. im not sayin i need 60s, but i dont wanna have the lowest veh there. although the flex it has is awesome, i want a lil bit more. but as i typed that, i realized that i havent encountered a single situation where i was limited by flex (i dont run bumpstops on any corner) but even still, even a mild coil lift would suffice me, even if adjustable short arms. im not lookin to get out my sawzall an grinder, because i plan on keepin it on 32s. after that size, i'd need bigger wells, wider wheels, then with wider rims, i need either spacers, or zero turn radius.... hmm, the ZJ, huh. shoulda left it stock.. baha.. damn you PGH and Mallcrawlin.. bahaha j/k... thanks dude...

ridgerunner97
03-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Just do the ole front to rear swap, slap some pucks on top if you want a little more altitude after the F/R swap, get some cheap adj. arms and call it done and FUN

brooks294x4
03-19-2011, 07:25 PM
like was kinda said before, your lookin a bit too far into it. build your own links and be done with it, it costs a little more but will pay off in the end. i see ya live in dawson, go up to bailey machine and tell him you need some tubing, he has a shitload out back and is pretty good on price, thats where i get all my material at.

muddeprived
03-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Someone in the for sale forum is selling JK arms for $125. There are 6 of them. perhaps you could make use of them if it's even possible. Cut off one end and add a flex joint and done. Need a crossmember with pockets. Not sure of the width of the bushings though.

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?16534-4DR-BDS-Control-Arms-125.00

http://forums.hrja.org/showthread.php?13028-4DR-BDS-Control-Arms-125.00

Deadman 94 xj
03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
It's easy, it's called LEAF SPRINGS. Done and done. :D

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-19-2011, 09:21 PM
/\ negative /\ i wouldnt give up my 4 corner coils for every material given to me for free to do leaf springs. nothing against them, i just dont like them.

i'll head up to baileys... just to be sure, u mean the one in cville, right beside walmart, or the one about 1 mile passed butchko brothers?

brooks294x4
03-20-2011, 10:12 PM
yes, bailey machine in cville

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
03-21-2011, 06:18 AM
ill prob be going by there later... ill give them a try.. anyone in particular i should ask for??