PDA

View Full Version : Question about my YJ Wranglers 4 wheel drive system

crazyasianofpa
03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Ok, I bought my 94 wrangler, had it for a week and put about a 100 miles on it. Now it sits at the garage waiting for a throw-out bearing, clutch and pressure plate. Now here's my question. My mechanic started working on it today and he told the 'ol father in law that the vacuum line that shifts the jeep into 4 wheel drive is missing and/or disconnected. He said the jeep is in 4wheel drive now. I'm not to sure it is cause I had the jeep stuck and had to engage the 4wheel drive to get out. If this is the case though and it's in 4 wheel drive now and the vacuum line is disconnected/missing, where do I get a new one and what does it take to get it fixed? Is it as simple as re-installing a "line?" Does it require opening up the transfer case or whatever it hooks up too. I'm kinda lost on this one. Of course I didn't get to talk to the mechanic myself, the jeep is still in the garage and my father in law isn't too knowlegable about vehicles so he might have relayed the wrong info or got it confused.

Yarz
03-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Maybe the previous owner permanently moved the fork on the axle over, or switched to TJ/XJ axleshafts, and the front axle is in 4 wheel, but the transfercase still needs to be shifted into/out of 4 wheel drive.

crazyasianofpa
03-25-2011, 08:21 PM
Maybe the previous owner permanently moved the fork on the axle over, or switched to TJ/XJ axleshafts, and the front axle is in 4 wheel, but the transfercase still needs to be shifted into/out of 4 wheel drive.

Yeah I don't know. I still have the number for the guy I bought the jeep off of. Might give him a call to see if he knows anything about this. I know for a fact though that I had to engage the 4wheel drive to get up my snow covered alley. Back tires were spinning, I pulled back the shifter and it went up the alley.

After looking at the haynes manual, I don't see any reference to any vacuum lines or vacuum assist for the 4wheel drive. Guess I'll talk to the mechanic myself on monday.

Yarz
03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
I found it very briefly mentioned in my haynes. Section 8-15. It talks more about the front axle shift motor itself than the vacuum line going to it, but I'm positive there's a diagram for its routing and connections online somwhere

Sleeper
03-25-2011, 08:50 PM
on your front axle do you have a small box on the pass side axle tube? if so you either have straight axles bypassing the vac or else you ripped the hose off somewhere, if you do not have that box then the previous owner might of swaped out the front axle with a non vac one.

crazyasianofpa
03-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the help so far. I won't be able to look at the jeep until monday since it's still at the garage.

tjblair
03-25-2011, 09:47 PM
someone probably put in a Perm-lok in it
http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_jeep.html