PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Removal 04 Laredo

Lumpy
04-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Alrighty, the lil lady has an 04 Laredo with the 4.7 and QuadraTrack II. I was changing the oil over the weekend and notice the pan is terrible!!! I mean really bad to the point that I don't want to drive it. So I used some rustolium stuff on it to help just stop the rust and ordered a pan and gasket from Advanced Auto.

From the looks of everything all I have to do is lift the body till front axle drops and I should be able to get the pan out. Does this sound about right???

I've done a bunch of searching and nothing really out there. A few articles that basically state "unbolt and put it" Ummmmm ya ok.

Thanks guys!!!

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
sounds right but idk for sure. im pretty sure we disco'd the motor mounts on a friends ZJ 4.0 and just lifted the body, and then lifted the motor... again, idk. i doubt its like my Impala where you have to remove the whole subframe tho... teehee

Good Luck

Lumpy
04-01-2011, 01:40 PM
It "looks" fairly easy but I donno...When I pulled the pan on my 92 pickup I had to lift the motor, other guys drop the diff. I don't want to get into all that...I really hope it'll droop enough!!!

Super Scout
04-01-2011, 01:50 PM
I would imagine between letting the Suspension drop and if needed loosing engine mounts you could get enough wiggle to get it out. I say this with no exp I just like to type.

Lumpy
04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm really hoping worst case is that I'll have to drop the pickup tube.

Well even if you guys don't know what you're talking about I do feel much more better about doing this. :nod:

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
04-01-2011, 06:47 PM
/\ was just gonna write that. the pickup tube i think has to be unbolted fromt he motor and then the pan will come down with it.

Lumpy
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Well sorry guys no pic's I was too pissed off to take any.

Oil pan ($90.00) and gasket w/ splash shield ($50.00 Price match from Rock Auto)

1. Unbolt exhaust from manifolds (15mm)
2. Unbolt the hanger just about the cross member (15mm)
3. There is a little aluminum brace on the back of the pan that has to come off. (15mm)
4. Unbolt the pan (10mm)
5. Very important!!! Use a prybar and remove the gasket from the pan not from the block (I did the other way and made a mess)
6. Remove Pan
7. Remove pickup tube (13mm)
8. Remove gasket and splash pan

Now I did this in about 6 hours laying on the ground looking up at falling rust. Not a fun job. I was able to lift the jeep enough to get the pan out which was good. The thing that took the longest was trying to do this without dropping the exhaust and getting the gasket off. It was fused to the pan and block.

Better doing in the driveway than paying someone though.

Putting it back together went rather easily though.