PDA

View Full Version : Jerky (not smooth) steering in the XJ

2002wranglerX
05-20-2011, 11:27 PM
99 with 145k miles on it. i haven't had it more than a few weeks and i noticed that the steering isn't smooth. when you make a turn it gets easier and harder and is kind of "jerky". you notice it the most when the steering wheel is returning back to straight.

the steering also feels a bit tight. it's like there's not as much assist as there should be. the pump isn't whining at all.

I checked the fluid and it's pretty nasty. I'm going to pull the low pressure line and flush it and replace it with new fluid.

Anything else i should check? do the ujoints in the steering shafts go bad in these?

Thanks guys!

Wrecker
05-21-2011, 07:50 AM
MY steering was stff in mine and it turned out to be balljoints. But it had sat for a few years.

tjblair
05-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Check the axel u-joints too.

2002wranglerX
05-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys... looks like I have some furtther investigation to do

muddeprived
05-21-2011, 11:28 AM
U-joints. Jerking on turns is usually dried up seized u-joints.

highlandercj-7
05-21-2011, 03:18 PM
I replaced a box one time for a bad steering intermediate shaft. Check the u-joints in the intermediate shaft they are also known the go bad.

2002wranglerX
05-23-2011, 11:26 PM
for those that say U-joint ding ding ding!

turned the wheel all the way to the right, jacked the front end off the ground. the driver side wheel/tire spins freely but the passenger side wheel/tire binds REALLY badly. you can turn it about 60 degrees but then it binds and i can barely push the wheel/tire past that point. then it frees again and then binds again. looks like a ujoint to me.

thanks for all the input. in 10 years and 20+ i've never had one do this! thanks again!

tjblair
05-24-2011, 06:21 AM
for those that say U-joint ding ding ding!

:109:Hey at least it is an easy fix. check the unit bearings while you have it apart:nod:

muddeprived
05-24-2011, 07:19 AM
I wish you luck replacing them unless you have a u-joint press or hydraulic press. My originals did not come out. The caps were so rust-welded to the ears that we broke em in pieces on the press. I had to get a dremel to grind them and tap em out. It was nuts.

2002wranglerX
05-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I wish you luck replacing them unless you have a u-joint press or hydraulic press. My originals did not come out. The caps were so rust-welded to the ears that we broke em in pieces on the press. I had to get a dremel to grind them and tap em out. It was nuts.

Thanks man, I have a method that i've developed over the years... Wel see if it works on these tonight

highpsi
05-24-2011, 09:59 AM
If they don't come out there is always the heat and beat technique......

muddeprived
05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
I think that's what she said about my little swimmers............

Sloth_Fratelli
05-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I think that's what she said about my little swimmers............

hahahahahaha.

heat and beat is where i woulda gone first before grinding all that shyt

muddeprived
05-24-2011, 12:27 PM
hahahahahaha.

heat and beat is where i woulda gone first before grinding all that shyt

I'd rather grind........

oh wait, are we still talking about u-joints????

skeebs
05-24-2011, 03:09 PM
/\ rofl

2002wranglerX
05-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Got it done. There were still needle bearings in there but rusted solid. I couldn't even move the ujoint in the one direction. It was rusted solid!

muddeprived
05-25-2011, 12:38 AM
That's what I usually deal with every year when I do muddin. Annoying but.....I play, I pay!

cityslicker
05-26-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm taking this straight to the bank.
replacing my u-joints tonight.
thank you for your vast knowledge pghoffroad, that's why I read all your dribble.

Super Scout
05-26-2011, 01:15 PM
So I gotta know dunbar, whats your method for U joint Replacement.

2002wranglerX
05-26-2011, 02:24 PM
So I gotta know dunbar, whats your method for U joint Replacement.

Lol, reverse beating...

I try the normal c clamp/socket technique, then I move to the hammer/big socket technique, I'd those are a no go THEN my pattened reverse technique comes out.

2 weird things I've found that works...

1 is the shock technique. Where you hold the shaft in the air and swing the hammer and it together. Sounds crazy but it seems to get a solid hit on the cap. I only use this method to break em loose.

The other thing is the reverse beating. I put a small socket down, the put the shft on top of the small (like 18 mm) socket, and il whack the outer ear of the shaft. Not near the ujoint cap so I don't gall over the edges, but I seem to have good luck with that technique.

My ujoint was so rusted in it took me a good 30 mins to get the clips out! The swing/dangle and reverse beat technique worked great.

cityslicker
05-27-2011, 09:09 AM
I beat the piss out of my U joint for a long time before going to get a u-joint press,, which. is completely worthless without a vice.
So now i'm ****t.. I think the Ujoint is original.

muddeprived
05-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Ball Joint Press will work. I use it on mine all the time. Crank it till it stops cranking then bang one end with a hammer and it'll pop loose.

jim91303
06-19-2011, 04:30 AM
socket .. hammer ... small block of wood. afew taps and they are out. c clamp to install

i need new bearing on 2 of my drive shafts ... the ball & needle bearing on front shaft.

1999tjsport
11-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Ball Joint Press will work. I use it on mine all the time. Crank it till it stops cranking then bang one end with a hammer and it'll pop loose.

i use the same technique just with a hydraulic press, pump it till you feel it tightening up give another half pump smack the yoke with a hammer to shock it and they pop loose works great