PDA

View Full Version : ***WTB AX-15 or NV3550***

UPJ Wheeler
05-23-2011, 04:32 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229350_10100154879996183_14223962_47934644_737252_ n.jpg

4 trail rides into the AX15 swap, and I broke the mounting bracket off of the case at the Big Rubbers Spring Thaw. Im in search of an AX15 good or bad. Im pretty sure I can get away with just replacing the rear trans case section and be ok. It shifted well. I would also be interested in a Jeep NV3550 if someone had one of those laying around.

Thanks!

2002wranglerX
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
I am buying guys nv3550 on here. My ax15 needs rebuilt but you could just put your parts in it. Mostly the synchs are the issue in my ax...

gonecheenin
05-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow Brian - looks like you need stiffer motor mounts or a flexier trans mount!!!!

UPJ Wheeler
05-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Yup... just need the rear half of the case.... How much? I've got a few leads, so Im trying to figure out what option most logical and easy to get a hold of....

You could also sell me the NV3550 Dunbar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPJ Wheeler
05-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Wow Brian - looks like you need stiffer motor mounts or a flexier trans mount!!!!

I installed MORE HD motor mounts after I broke the tranny mount on my T5 last fall. That time the trans mount broke because I broke a motor mount and kept wheeln. This time around I had a 1/4" plate mounted to the trans, and some hockey pucks (similar stiffness to Urethane mounts) in between that and the 1/4" skid plate. I actually some how bent the drive side of plate that mounts to the trans up about 3/4" or so. I also think the bolts that held that plate to the trans backed out just a little. Which surprises me because I DOUSED them with lock-tite after they backed out the first time.

I really need to just build a separate crossmember and stop trying to mount it directly to the flat skid, even with some pieces of angle to stiffen it up, it flexes too much (another part of this problem). There's not a whole lot of real-estate to build a crossmember under there with the front drive shaft on one side, and the exhaust on the other side though.

2002wranglerX
05-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Yup... just need the rear half of the case.... How much? I've got a few leads, so Im trying to figure out what option most logical and easy to get a hold of....

You could also sell me the NV3550 Dunbar!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, i need the 3550 for my tj!

you can have the AX15 for scrap price. i would just give it to you but i was supposed to give it to my brother in law for scrap (in exchange for some plumbing work)... so whatever scrap price is is cool with me.

UPJ Wheeler
05-24-2011, 07:19 AM
no you dont.... sell it to me! Where do you live again? Im going to be heading to Pymatuning this coming weekend, so Ill be in your general neck of the woods Friday evening, and Monday evening. Shoot... I just need the rear half of the case, your brother in law can still have the rest of it for scrap, plus it's less for me to haul around.

highlandercj-7
05-24-2011, 08:19 AM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/2399121921.html

UPJ Wheeler
05-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Thanks rod!!!!!!

UPJ Wheeler
05-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Called and talked to him, Im now the PROUD owner of an NV3550!!!! Thanks agian Rod!!!!

Im still interested in the rear of the AX15 case Dunbar, so I can have a spare.

highlandercj-7
05-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Cool Brian! That was a heck of a deal. Glad you got it.

gonecheenin
05-25-2011, 06:28 PM
I installed MORE HD motor mounts after I broke the tranny mount on my T5 last fall. That time the trans mount broke because I broke a motor mount and kept wheeln. This time around I had a 1/4" plate mounted to the trans, and some hockey pucks (similar stiffness to Urethane mounts) in between that and the 1/4" skid plate. I actually some how bent the drive side of plate that mounts to the trans up about 3/4" or so. I also think the bolts that held that plate to the trans backed out just a little. Which surprises me because I DOUSED them with lock-tite after they backed out the first time.

I really need to just build a separate crossmember and stop trying to mount it directly to the flat skid, even with some pieces of angle to stiffen it up, it flexes too much (another part of this problem). There's not a whole lot of real-estate to build a crossmember under there with the front drive shaft on one side, and the exhaust on the other side though.

I got MORE 1" lift HD mounts in my red jeep too & have never had an issue no matter what abuse I threw at it - what part of the mount actually broke?

gonecheenin
05-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Called and talked to him, Im now the PROUD owner of an NV3550!!!! Thanks agian Rod!!!!

Im still interested in the rear of the AX15 case Dunbar, so I can have a spare.

Check that tub out for me while your there, he's right down the road from me even!

UPJ Wheeler
05-25-2011, 08:02 PM
The stock motor mount broke the first time, which is what caused the T5 mounting bracket that is cast into the case to break. Which is why I installed the MORE mounts

This time, the same bracket that is cast into the AX15 case broke... Im pretty sure due to the bolts going into that bracket backed out just a turn or so, and the belly pan that it was mounted to flexing.

Ill check out that tub, Im probably going tomorrow night since I have to go to warrendale for a dentist appt

gonecheenin
05-26-2011, 11:41 PM
This time, the same bracket that is cast into the AX15 case broke... Im pretty sure due to the bolts going into that bracket backed out just a turn or so, and the belly pan that it was mounted to flexing.

Ohh, ok. I thought you meant the MORE mounts broke, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how!

UPJ Wheeler
05-27-2011, 07:24 AM
Checked out that tub last night buggy man. From what I could see it's CLEAN and rhino lined! definitely worth the asking price, BUT its a TJ tub ( '98 ), and as a bonus it's already red.

UPJ Wheeler
06-13-2011, 06:36 PM
still looking for an AX15 to rob the rear case from... the NV3550 I bought needs an input shaft, and the place I ordered parts from sent me the wrong stuff... Im just trying to get this thing back on the road...

oros35
06-15-2011, 08:49 AM
I have an NV3550 that I'm parting out. Might have what you need.

UPJ Wheeler
06-15-2011, 09:03 AM
replied on NEC