PDA

View Full Version : Need tire shopping advice...

GeneralTso
01-02-2005, 09:45 PM
What's the best place in the area to get a good deal on new or slightly used 31" mud/off-road tires?

Also, any recommendations for a good off-road tire at a good price? I'm looking for something that'll be good under a lot of conditions (mud, rocks, hills, etc...)

Thanks,
Jeff

OverkillZJ
01-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Everyone here knows I'm gonna tell you to get some MTR's ;)

GeneralTso
01-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Everyone here knows I'm gonna tell you to get some MTR's ;)

Is it worth the price difference to get MTRs over something way cheaper like Kumho Venture MTs?

LordAthens
01-03-2005, 03:23 AM
The MT\R's wear like iron and will last quite a long time. IMO, their mud performance could be considerably better. (Look at the pics from Wellsville with the Rubi's.. Granted, TSL's would still have a hard time in that crap)

I'm a big fan of Swamper TrXus. IMO, it's the best all around tire you can get, though you do make a sacrafice in mileage.

BFG MT's work very well in this area and wear very well too.

fsidari
01-03-2005, 08:30 AM
I've been running Firestone Destination M/Ts and have been very happy. I haven't noticed much tire wear, even though I use my rig a DD and they are pretty quiet for an aggressive tire. Only downside is that the biggest they make right now is 33x12.5s.

I got a good price by pulling some print-outs from TireRack.com and bringing them into NTB. NTB is supposed to match or beat an advertised price and by going this route I didn't have to pay shipping and got a road-hazard policy.

GeneralTso
01-03-2005, 09:29 AM
I've been running Firestone Destination M/Ts and have been very happy. I haven't noticed much tire wear, even though I use my rig a DD and they are pretty quiet for an aggressive tire. Only downside is that the biggest they make right now is 33x12.5s.

I got a good price by pulling some print-outs from TireRack.com and bringing them into NTB. NTB is supposed to match or beat an advertised price and by going this route I didn't have to pay shipping and got a road-hazard policy.

That's good to know about NTB....Thanks!

Jeff

Bill
01-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I currently have the TrXus M/Ts. They look aggressive and they perform well off road. However, I will never buy another set. They wear very quickly, and they are almost impossible to balance, at least in the 33x12.5x15 flavor. I know others have had 31s and had no issues, but I know of myself and two friends that all have the same balancing issue with the 33s.

The MTRs came on my Jeep from the factory. I know that some people swear by them and they do have a lot of pros to them. The sidewalls are GREAT. There is nothing out there that is comparable unless you get into the BFG Krawlers. The MTRs are GREAT on the rocks out West too. They do however leave a little to be desired in the PA mud, and if you wheel around here PA mud is just about EVERYWHERE.

If I lived out West my next tire would without a doubt be the MTR. Since there is no plan on heading out that way to live I think the next tire is going to be back to the BFG MT KMs. I had them on my old TJ and loved them. They perform well in the mud, the tread life is EXCELLENT, and they do okay on the local wet rocks too. They do hum a bit going down the road, but I figure my bling-bling exhaust will cover the majority of the sound of the tires anyway.

HTH

mrpistol
01-03-2005, 11:55 AM
i would recommend BFG mt's as well, i love mine and they're wearing pretty damn well after a year or so.

when i was price shopping i got the best deal from essey's tire on 51 south near belle vernon (across from rostraver airport) and right by the webster trails :unibrow:

MF Steve!
01-03-2005, 06:48 PM
id recommend bf goodrich all mud terrain km's. i had a set of 32x1150's that lasted me close to 45,000 miles. rotated them at every oil change (3,000miles) ive got goodyear mt/r's now, i like them so far, but its been less than 1000 miles.

all bf goodrich tires have free shipping from www.crawltech.com thats your call though. a few people know the story behind the free mt/r's...