PDA

View Full Version : Where dat oil go?!

muddeprived
07-15-2011, 09:23 AM
I was filling up at get-go early today and decided to check the oil on the grand am. Nothing........stuck it in there again...wiggled it...pulled it out....nothing. :103: (similar situation happened before but....that's another story)

Oil be gone....but where'd it go? I don't see any leaks coming from underneath and the car runs like a car should run.....so.........who's stealing my oil?

Anyone have any experience with missing oil in a 99 grand am or similar model?

I told my lady we have to trade it for a JK soon cuz it has 99k miles and usually when we hit 100k, things go wrong and this is a preview of it. She didn't buy it but....i tried.

anodyne33
07-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Uh-oh... what does your coolant look like? Is there anything on the dipstick when it's cold?

muddeprived
07-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Uh-oh... what does your coolant look like? Is there anything on the dipstick when it's cold?

Coolant's green. I haven't checked it cold but I'll do that tmw morning when I get back from work. Not expectin much of a difference since there was nothing on the dipstick 5 min after shutting it off. Takin the clunkin-long-arm jeep 2nite.....

JeepSteeler
07-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Drain the pan to see how much is actually left.

muddeprived
07-17-2011, 08:50 PM
About a quarter and half in there. I was surprised how low it was. Filled that sucker up with valvoline and then spent 30 minutes fighting with the filter. That bitch was on so tight that I could not get it loose with both of my hands and twisting till my veins nearly exploded. It took three attempts till it finally broke loose. The seal on the filter was squashed paper-thin and the filter actually wore a groove into the block from being so damn tight. Damn @$!#!@ers at walmart don't know how to put on a filter? I'm taking it there tomorrow and showing them this shit. Gonna give em a earful.....

tjblair
07-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Wonder how much oil they put in it.

commando72
07-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Damn @$!#!@ers at walmart don't know how to put on a filter?

That be the problem. NEVER trust a place like that to change your oil...

muddeprived
07-18-2011, 07:29 AM
I didn't trust them, my gf did LOL. She had a coupon for a free oil change. Coupon probably said "This is a coupon for a half-ass oil change by our trained morons."

JeepSteeler
07-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Ugh. I like to use the K&N filters that have a nut tacked to the top (1") - makes getting one off a bit easier. Next time before you give yourself a hernia and all other methods fail, just drive a large screwdriver through the filter and use it to turn it. This is assuming you have another ready to install.

muddeprived
07-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Ugh. I like to use the K&N filters that have a nut tacked to the top (1") - makes getting one off a bit easier. Next time before you give yourself a hernia and all other methods fail, just drive a large screwdriver through the filter and use it to turn it. This is assuming you have another ready to install.

The K&N's are nice but pricey. No reason to pay that much for a filter when you can put it on hand tight and easily take it off next time. Those goobers at walmart need training. I bet they were transferred as a Produce stocker straight to an oil changer. Stocking green peppers is a little bit different than installing an oil filter.

Thanks for the tip. I tried that once on my TJ and it worked but was messy lol. If that ends up failing and you rip the filter in half, then it's gonna be a PITA from then on. I can only imagine....

I did have an oil filter wrench, the kind that has a belt and tightens on the filter, but it was sized for the larger filters that my jeep uses and I couldn't get it tight enough on the little baby filter that the grand am had.

Sycotik Skier
07-18-2011, 11:12 AM
there is more reason to get a k&n filter than just the nut on the end. They have a far superior filter element so you get cleaner oil. Maybe I'm just weird but my car always gets full synthetic Mobil 1 or Castrol edge along with a K&N filter every oil change.

JeepSteeler
07-18-2011, 12:57 PM
The K&N's are nice but pricey. No reason to pay that much for a filter when you can put it on hand tight and easily take it off next time. Those goobers at walmart need training. I bet they were transferred as a Produce stocker straight to an oil changer. Stocking green peppers is a little bit different than installing an oil filter.

Thanks for the tip. I tried that once on my TJ and it worked but was messy lol. If that ends up failing and you rip the filter in half, then it's gonna be a PITA from then on. I can only imagine....

I did have an oil filter wrench, the kind that has a belt and tightens on the filter, but it was sized for the larger filters that my jeep uses and I couldn't get it tight enough on the little baby filter that the grand am had.

They are about $13 at least for the Rover/ZJ that use the same filter. For the importance of the job they do I don't consider it pricey but that's just my opinion. I also agree with Skier - very good filtration and build quality. I've come across times where I didn't "smoke" the filter on by hand but damn if it wouldn't come off without a lot of swearing and screwing around. Nut - 1" socket - done. Sold me on it.

I've had to use those rubberized strap wrenches. I think every time I use one it breaks. The screwdriver method definitely is messy and has a decent chance of going totally wrong on you I agree. Last resort.

Sycotik Skier
07-18-2011, 01:30 PM
there is a filter wrench that is a slip joint plier like channel locks that is awesome for removing filters with out the nut.

JeepSteeler
07-18-2011, 03:19 PM
I have one. Couldn't get it in there on my STR. They apparently had a contest at the factory to see where the most inaccessible place you could put an oil filter would be.

My wife's SAAB has a cartridge filter. I think I am a convert - those are so easy and you don't get oil everywhere.

muddeprived
07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
there is more reason to get a k&n filter than just the nut on the end. They have a far superior filter element so you get cleaner oil. Maybe I'm just weird but my car always gets full synthetic Mobil 1 or Castrol edge along with a K&N filter every oil change.

I agree about their excellent filtering capabilities.....but....this is a 99 grand am SE 4 banger and nothing works on it anymore. I have my dad's old vice grips inside the door panel holding up one window. :( It's just a daily beater that I can't fathom spending so much on. Despite my cheap treatment towards it, it has been pretty much flawless (drivetrain-wise) since we got it. Only major issue was a fuel pump going out and that's about it in 99,600 miles.

Aren't there filter relocators for jeeps and maybe cars? I know I saw one for jeeps in the past where it would relocate the filter up higher. I think it was for a TJ.

Dragonslayer
07-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Ahhhhhhhh, that was your car??? Sorry man, I was walkin past and needed something to drink really bad.

JeepSteeler
07-19-2011, 07:53 AM
I agree about their excellent filtering capabilities.....but....this is a 99 grand am SE 4 banger and nothing works on it anymore. I have my dad's old vice grips inside the door panel holding up one window. :( It's just a daily beater that I can't fathom spending so much on. Despite my cheap treatment towards it, it has been pretty much flawless (drivetrain-wise) since we got it. Only major issue was a fuel pump going out and that's about it in 99,600 miles.

Aren't there filter relocators for jeeps and maybe cars? I know I saw one for jeeps in the past where it would relocate the filter up higher. I think it was for a TJ.

Yep there are filter relocators - they make universal ones for anything. They can be kind of bulky however.

toocheaptosmoke
07-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Sounds like my gran damn. :042: Drivetrain thrives on abuse, but the body is falling apart around it. The other day I was hammering on the mighty 3.3L and when it downshifted the front seat bolts pulled through the floor! Almost ended up in the backseat. Might be time to pull the engine and scrap the rest.

Sycotik Skier
07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
lol^^

DixieJeeper
07-31-2011, 12:07 AM

I made a relocation kit on the TJ... the oil filter now sits atop the R/f fender behind the headlamp. (Had to because the turbo's down pipe interfered with stock location)

Are you puffing smoke out of the tail pipe? I mean the engine is it puffing at the tailpipe at all? I bet you have worn rings or bad valve stem seals. Rings will blow a bunch of smoke when vaccum is highest, deaccel down hill. Valve stem seals will puff at startup, at idle or when you take off from a light.

muddeprived
07-31-2011, 08:03 AM
I made a relocation kit on the TJ... the oil filter now sits atop the R/f fender behind the headlamp. (Had to because the turbo's down pipe interfered with stock location)

Are you puffing smoke out of the tail pipe? I mean the engine is it puffing at the tailpipe at all? I bet you have worn rings or bad valve stem seals. Rings will blow a bunch of smoke when vaccum is highest, deaccel down hill. Valve stem seals will puff at startup, at idle or when you take off from a light.

Nope and nope. Engine runs and purs like a kitty. It's not farting out any smoke or anything abnormal. I'm betting wal-fart didn't put full 4 quarts in it. I changed the oil and it's been full since then. Lookin for some cheap ramps so I can get under there and change the oil myself from now on. Damn thing has like 6" of clearance.

JeepSteeler
08-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey Mud - about the ramps. I just took a couple of 2x6 planks to make a "pre-ramp" to get my low slung STR up on ramps.

Cut 2 2x6's (or 2x8 or whatever) about 18". Then cut 2 about 9-10", with a 45 degree mitre on one end (to act as a ramp on top of 1st board). Then screw the smaller planks to the larger plank. You just made a 3" pre-ramp. If you want to get extra fancy, mitre the backside to match the ramp slope where it meets the ramp for a smooth transition.

This works to give me just enough room under the front lip to get started on the ramps. Just an idea that might work for you. There are ramps you can buy that have extensions for low cars, but they are really expensive.

muddeprived
08-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Hey Mud - about the ramps. I just took a couple of 2x6 planks to make a "pre-ramp" to get my low slung STR up on ramps.

Cut 2 2x6's (or 2x8 or whatever) about 18". Then cut 2 about 9-10", with a 45 degree mitre on one end (to act as a ramp on top of 1st board). Then screw the smaller planks to the larger plank. You just made a 3" pre-ramp. If you want to get extra fancy, mitre the backside to match the ramp slope where it meets the ramp for a smooth transition.

This works to give me just enough room under the front lip to get started on the ramps. Just an idea that might work for you. There are ramps you can buy that have extensions for low cars, but they are really expensive.

I was going to make a set but I figured getting some at Harbor Freight would be cheaper.......and easier lol. They have a set of 6" ramps for $40 and I have a 20% off coupon for one purchase there. Hmm....dunno. Just have to wait till I'm in the area (robinson).

beat1078
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
I was going to make a set but I figured getting some at Harbor Freight would be cheaper.......and easier lol. They have a set of 6" ramps for $40 and I have a 20% off coupon for one purchase there. Hmm....dunno. Just have to wait till I'm in the area (robinson).

See..here is where you need to ask yourself. "Do I trust something I purchase at Harbor Freight to securely suspend my vehicle and not come crashing down on my head and upper torso while I am underneith of it."

Personally I would say no. IMHO for something that is designed to keep me safe, I can kick up a few extra bucks and get some solid stable ramps.

JeepSteeler
08-02-2011, 07:36 AM
^X a bajillion. No scrimping on safety!!!

Sloth_Fratelli
08-02-2011, 08:45 PM
this is a little late but sears makes a three pronged filter wrench with a hole in the end for a ratchet, i have one i use at work and i love the thing. unless its a canister (paper) filter, i can gurantee youll get it off, it failed me on one oil filter since i got it and thats only because the filter was on so tight i ended up crushing the filter. i think its like five bucks, ill try to find ya a link