PDA

View Full Version : Advice on choosing a varmint rifle

jlovbasz3
09-06-2011, 12:50 AM
I already know the caliber I want (.22-250). What I'm looking for is input on manufactures. I was looking into Savage 12 series varmint rifles either the 12 BTCSS or the 12 FCV. I read a lot about them on the web and they have good reviews but does anyone here own one or have any other advice about them? I have a Savage 93R17 BTV .17 HMR and love it but the 17 doesn't have the power at long range. Another one I was looking into was the Mossberg MVP http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=46&section=products it seems like a cool gun and I heard rumors that it uses a Howa action but looks aren't everything. And it's only chambered in 5.56 not saying it's a bad round I just like the specs on the .22-250. But I do own a Mossberg 100 ATR in .30-06 and it's been a good gun so far. I'm open to any suggestions.Thanks.

jasons85gt
09-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Ive had a savage in 22-250 and a remington in 22-250. My favorite in the remington 700 sps varmint. If you can wait Dicks sporting goods usually have them on sale with a cheaper scope. yes the savage should have the accutrigger but the remington pro mark is hard to beat.

ridgerunner97
09-06-2011, 04:49 AM
Savage with an accu trigger and you will wonder why you didn't buy one before you did. My brother has a 114 american hunter in .30-06 and its the most accurate out of the box rifle I've EVER shot, and i've got a hell of a lot of trigger time. A friend has a Remington 700 VTR I think it is with the triangle barrel and its ported from the factory in .308, its a real tack driver but i've just never been a lover of the 700, seems like a good option though for the money but its not nearly as good as the savage as far as accuracy and in my opinion quality and finish go...

JeepSteeler
09-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Brother in law has a Remington 700 22-250 - I've shot it many times and find it to be pretty solid all the way around. Very accurate with the right loads. Don't know about the Savage, but every Savage I've had or shot hasn't disappointed. Either one I think you'd be in good shape.

jlovbasz3
09-06-2011, 11:09 AM
My .17 has the accu trigger and it's very good for a factory trigger. I looked into the Remington's but I'm a little unsure about them. I heard some bad things about the 700 mainly the gun accidentally firing.

jlovbasz3
09-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Yet another to think about the Weatherby Vanguard sub-moa varmint? http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard/submoa_varmint

MemorEsto
09-07-2011, 07:15 AM
I haven't shot this particular gun, but have been reading on it. Rock River Arms .204 Ruger. Most of my buddies that hunt coyote are using .204's

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/dpms_rfa3-204-b.jpg

jlovbasz3
09-07-2011, 08:36 AM
204 is a nice little round over 4200 fps. with 32gr. and RRA makes some sweet ar's! Unless things changed you can't use a semi auto rifle to hunt with in PA??

JeepSteeler
09-07-2011, 12:08 PM
No you can't use a semi auto rifle in PA for hunting.

However, I had a yote come after me and my dog near N. Park about a month ago. If I happened to have a semi auto rifle with me, which I did not, it would have had to do.

I have a Rem 700 in .270, haven't experienced any accidental discharges. Its not my favorite rifle but solid.

Have you considered a Ruger M77? Or the Tikka T3? Marlin also sells a varmit rifle, the XS7 in 22-250 for about $400.

jlovbasz3
09-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I did look at Ruger and Marlin. Ruger has some good offerings but I don't care much for the Marlin I shot the X7 before and didn't like it. But that was a few years ago maybe they improved them? I'll take a look at Tikka I did read some things about them.Thanks.

MemorEsto
09-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Sorry, no, legally you can't "hunt" with the semi auto. But depending on distances I'd still rather go with the .204

wozz
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
My .17 has the accu trigger and it's very good for a factory trigger. I looked into the Remington's but I'm a little unsure about them. I heard some bad things about the 700 mainly the gun accidentally firing.

Are you basing this on the Remington under fire report?

I'm just curious if you know someone with first hand knowledge or not?

JeepSteeler
09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I did look at Ruger and Marlin. Ruger has some good offerings but I don't care much for the Marlin I shot the X7 before and didn't like it. But that was a few years ago maybe they improved them? I'll take a look at Tikka I did read some things about them.Thanks.

I think the new Marlin varmit just came out like last year. Dunno then if it is the same you shot. Hard to beat the Savage but might give you another choice/price. I have a soft spot for Marlins I will admit, and I am a Ruger fan as well. The good thing is you have a lot of solid options for a reasonable amount of cash.

People rave about the Tikka T3 too. I've only shot one once but not in .22-250 and I thought it was a well crafted tack driver.

You may want to consider guns chambering .220 Swift as well, particularly if you handload.

jlovbasz3
09-07-2011, 05:39 PM

No I don't know of anyone first hand just what I seen on TV and internet reports.But my uncles have 700 from the 70's and never had a problem. I guess I'm not that big a fan of Remington's.

ridgerunner97
09-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Happened to my younger brother with a not so old 700 in .30-06 I was there and can verify the trigger was not touched when it discharged.

jlovbasz3
09-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I think the new Marlin varmit just came out like last year. Dunno then if it is the same you shot. Hard to beat the Savage but might give you another choice/price. I have a soft spot for Marlins I will admit, and I am a Ruger fan as well. The good thing is you have a lot of solid options for a reasonable amount of cash.

People rave about the Tikka T3 too. I've only shot one once but not in .22-250 and I thought it was a well crafted tack driver.

You may want to consider guns chambering .220 Swift as well, particularly if you handload.

I like the 220 Swift. My friend has one and it's awesome! The only problem is I don't reload if I did I would be using my Ruger .22ppc for whistlepigs lol! The Marlin I shot was the X7 in 243 when they first came out the only thing I didn't like was the way the bolt felt it was kinda sloppy. Thats the problem I have too many choices maybe I'll buy one of each hahaha!!

JeepSteeler
09-07-2011, 07:20 PM
LOL - I like that idea! I lose my brain in gun stores...too many guns to pick from. 220 swift ammo sure isn't as readily available as 22-250, velocity difference is not huge between most factory loads anyway. But I do like how they shoot.

Press release for that Marlin was Jan 1, 2011. Here's the info on the varmit: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/CenterfireBoltAction/x7vh.asp

Might be the same model you shot just in a different caliber. I like the user adjustable trigger option tho.

Dammit I think this thread is gonna end up with me walking out of a gun shop with a new rifle too....

YZEATER
09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
i may have a nice m700 sps 22-250 4 sale.

jlovbasz3
09-07-2011, 11:07 PM
The price on the Marlin is tempting about $353 out the door! For looks I like the Weatherby sub moa varmint plus it's guaranteed to shoot sub moa's. It's priced about $853 out the door. I know the Thompson Center Venture predator has a moa guarantee as well it's about $475 before tax and fees. AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON...

JeepSteeler
09-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Hmm - seems to be some good options for less than $500. I guess it comes down to what you want to spend. I doubt the yote's much care what brand of gun you have! LOL...

You could get a Marlin and a TC for about the same cost of the Weatherby (it is a nice looker I agree).....

jlovbasz3
09-08-2011, 08:34 AM
That sounds like a good idea maybe the Marlin for whistlepig's and the T/C for yote's! lol

jlovbasz3
09-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Well I went to Gander Mountain today to look at varmint rifles and walked out with a Mosin Nagant. I'm still going to get a varmint rifle this is just something to play with until I make up my mind! Plans are ATI stock and long relief scope for a scout rifle look.

jlovbasz3
09-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Well I took the old Mosin to the range yesterday and was able to hit a 10'' x 10'' steel plate at 200 yrds right out of the box (after cleaning it). It shot good but the bolt was a little sticky I think I'm going to polish it up today.