PDA

View Full Version : I'm a noob, I need help & I love my Jeep

Pitt Dogg
09-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Hey guyz,, soo im here again because I need guidance..I need help, either a Psychiatrist or a mechanic... Whoever finds me first lol.. If you dont want to read my jeeps life story, Please SKIP to the pictures below.

Honestly think you guys are the only people that can help me.. Soo.. A little BG info for anyone who likes to read! Soo, The first few times I was on this forum I was at the beginning of a new chapter in my life. Few weeks prior to finding this site, I had just bought a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited... (My first car, that im not shareing wit anyone.) With that said, I think I love it more than my girlfriend.

It has a lot of miles (145k) but it still runs like its fresh off the lott, sounds sexy when i turn the key, and i like it when its dirty more than clean. I was even in a accident, destroyed the other car and all i had was a dent in my bumper cover! TANK! I rather spend all my extra money on my Jeep than myself, im not rich by any means, but i get by pretty well because im good at budgeting my money and saving to buy things i want.. I have patience. Before my Jeep, I was driving a cavalier and it was a piece. Anyways... The story goes... One day traffic was bad, I took a shortcut through sleepy hollow on stormy day, the path was treacherous, but was a much diffrent experience in a Jeep than it would be in a Cavalier.... You know how the rest goes.. I fell in love with it, and now I treat it like its my first born son (I do love my son more thou).

Too make a super long story short, im BRAND NEW at the whole *Do It Yourself* concept. If it wasn't for my love of this jeep and economic situation, I probably wouldn't be in this situation. It started with a dead battery (Yes im that much of a noob that i never changed a battery, took hours lmfao) I could do it in NO TIME now thou. After that it was a audio system (once i got over the fear of getting shocked by the battery HAHA) after that I thought I reached my limit on working on my car. Months later a serious issue came about where my seat broke off the hinge (checked online and its a common defect for the few models of jeep seats) so the replacement seat was 250 plus shipping, then would be a hundred or so to install it... "Its a powered heated memory seat " said Jeep dealer. A lot of money but necessary if i want to stay off the bus... Thought hard for a solution, then seen a sears add for a mechanics 200 pc tool kit for $99.99 and then realized I could * Do It Myself* I mean i did save money from doing my audio system, and that was a great learning experience, this would be too.

Ever hear that saying "Dont give a bum a dollar, give him a job."? Thats what came to mind one night and i had a eureka moment. Dont spend $100 dollars for somone to fix somthing for you, buy the tools with that hundred and do it yourself. Should be a famous quote. I spent over a thousand dollars. I bought "new head lights, tail lights, new bumper cover, fog lights, the seat, new heated side mirror, steel floor mats (too keep the water from soaking into the carpet and rusting my seats underneath) a Darth Vader Bobble head... and various other things. Every thing ive done so far as been super fun and i would have paid a lot more if it was done by a shop. Plus i get more pride in knowing ive done it myself.

Butt here is where i need help, and i hope someone can at least guide me in the right direction.

First, the Headlights came in the mail a few days ago and the process was pretty easy for the most part. now that they are in, they are not 100%. I don't know if i wired something bad, or if i accidentally broke a few bulbs. The right lamp has 2 bulbs out. yesterday the only light out was the second to the last. Turn signal LEDs work on both lamps.
http://tinypic.com/r/qrd7cl/7http://tinypic.com/r/qrd7cl/7http://i55.tinypic.com/qrd7cl.jpg

The left lamp has one out. Not sure what the problem is. Should i just try new bulbs?
http://i54.tinypic.com/30d8eo0.jpg

Im also trying to get these Fog lights to work. Cant figure it out for the life of me, should be pretty simple the Instructions are POORLY written. I dont know if they are defective or if i just know know what im doing... Probably the last thing i said... lol. They say you have 2 optional ways to install. either with your stock switch (with will make it so the halo and projector come on at the same time) or with a switch they supplied with it that makes it so u can power the halo and projector seperatly. Now i dont want another switch to worry about installing, i just rather have the fog lights work the same as my stock fogs. The picture below is with the wiring harness and the fog lamp. No matter how i wire it, i don't get power!

http://i51.tinypic.com/5v97p0.jpg

Thanks for any help, sorry for the ridiculously long post lol. This all started when i was asking questions about finding a installer for a lift kits. And someone said, "If you don't understand how they work, you shouldn't 4x4" so my goal is to do everything because its fun, and saves money!

Sloth_Fratelli
09-17-2011, 08:23 PM
did you touch the glass before you put the bulb in?

Pitt Dogg
09-17-2011, 10:09 PM
ohh man... I might have i cant remember.. is that bad? Why would that hurt the bulb? Should i just go buy new bulbs and use gloves?

Sloth_Fratelli
09-18-2011, 05:24 PM
i think its the halogen bulbs if you touch the glass before installing them they can explode... id check the bulb/filaments first to rule that out

Sycotik Skier
09-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Body oils cause hot spots on the glass causing the bulb to prematurely fail.

Pitt Dogg
09-19-2011, 02:05 PM
OK so i went to andvanced auto and swapped the bulbs and their fine now thanks for that tip.

That wouldnt have anything to do with the fog lights thou right? since i didnt actually touch the bulb? I cant get them to even light up for a brief moment.