PDA

View Full Version : Inspection and emissions question

mbg
10-23-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't drive my jeep on the road anymore but i like to have the option if i would need a back up vehicle. The jeep has current inspection and emission stickers, but needs inspected and emissions testing in Washington county for oct. I have only put about 1200 miles on it since last inspection. The check engine light is on.*

It should be exempt from emissions since I put less than 5000 miles on it since last emissions testing? Correct?

Obviously i wont drive it on the road if i let the inspection go over.*What I want to know is, say I get it inspected and emissions done in the future, let's say may of 2012. *Will it still be exempt on emissions? And what month will the inspection sticker say? TIA.

joe_and_jeep
10-23-2011, 10:54 AM
If your exempt (less than 5000miles in 1 year) then the check engine light don't matter. If your exempt there is no visual. If it was up in Oct you'll get an Oct sticker or current month. As long as its at least a year. So if it was up in Oct but you waited till November u get a Nov sticker.

P.S. This doesn't mean you can cut your converter off. Thats a part of the State Safety Inspection. So you could still fail that.

88wd21
10-23-2011, 10:58 AM
your new stickers will be a 1 year interval (if you get it done in April, you get Aprils type deal) unless you specify you want it to match the plate and get shorthanded some months. As for exemption, as long as it's under 5,000 miles and a year to date or longer from the last emissions test, your legit exempt. Don't matter if it sits for 4 years and pulls into the emissions bay with 4,999 miles from the last test.

88wd21
10-23-2011, 11:02 AM
P.S. This doesn't mean you can cut your converter off. Thats a part of the State Safety Inspection. So you could still fail that.

and I think non-emissions counties have to check for converters but registered in an emission county the converter don't have to be there for safety insp. since it's 'part' of the emissions inspection. And being exempt will bypass that part (not that I'm saying "Go register in Allegheny County, be exempt and scrap your cat!" )

mbg
10-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Great info. Appreciate it.

Sloth_Fratelli
10-24-2011, 12:28 AM
and I think non-emissions counties have to check for converters but registered in an emission county the converter don't have to be there for safety insp. since it's 'part' of the emissions inspection. And being exempt will bypass that part (not that I'm saying "Go register in Allegheny County, be exempt and scrap your cat!" )

still has to be there for saftey inspection regardless of the county and im pretty sure thatd fail emissions too, even if they diddnt notice it was missing. (machine plugs into your obd port and takes readings from sensors and stuff)

Sloth_Fratelli
10-24-2011, 12:29 AM
oh and btw, a jeep converter is worth like 20-30 bucks last time i checked, not even worth it lol.

not to mention the power loss...

village_idiot
10-24-2011, 12:33 AM
clear your codes before you go....trust me, we turn people away constantly for CEL issues.

notmYJ
10-24-2011, 03:07 AM
clear your codes before you go....trust me, we turn people away constantly for CEL issues.

The check engine light is irrelevant as he is exempt by mileage. It could be blinking and its still exempt. If it wasnt exempt and he cleared the codes right before going (provided its OBD II, guessing its the 99 TJ in his sig) then he would be rejected as untestable. When you clear the codes, you also reset the monitors which makes it untestable. When teh monitors are ready to test, they would command the check engine light again. SO if you fall under the mileage exemption the check engine light doesnt matter. If you have to test, then you need to fix the problem that caused the check engine light to come on in the first place.

village_idiot
10-24-2011, 03:27 PM
The check engine light is irrelevant as he is exempt by mileage. It could be blinking and its still exempt. If it wasnt exempt and he cleared the codes right before going (provided its OBD II, guessing its the 99 TJ in his sig) then he would be rejected as untestable. When you clear the codes, you also reset the monitors which makes it untestable. When teh monitors are ready to test, they would command the check engine light again. SO if you fall under the mileage exemption the check engine light doesnt matter. If you have to test, then you need to fix the problem that caused the check engine light to come on in the first place.
thank you for clearing that up. you learn something new everyday!

Sloth_Fratelli
10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
hell i was just clearing up the whole cat thing lol. only way you can get around a check engine light for an emissions test is if you can find an ASE master tech to give you a waiver (dosent happen often)

2002wranglerX
02-21-2012, 05:06 PM
please help me regarding on this matter. Do you have any idea about home inspection Toronto (http://emmanuelhome.net/)? For me we have to be aware about this so if there any instances that we need their help it could be easy for us how to look for them.

Reported