PDA

View Full Version : Calling all mechanics!!!!!

JEEPIN/J.S.A
10-25-2011, 02:22 PM
I have a 99 honda civic with a 5 speed tranny. the tranny is in need of replacement I lost third gear all together and now I fear fourth is on its way out. My question is how hard is it to change this car from manual to auto? I have had this car apart before to replace the clutch (twice in 4 years) and to replace the motor, so working on this car is very easy for me. but what all is involved in changing it over? My wife hates having two stick shift vehicles and as you can tell from the number of times I've changed the clutch in this car she is not the best at making them last. I know I need a tranny and all the linkage for the gear shift, but What else would I need to get? The engine that I put in the car was originally out of an auto so the wiring harness that I have is the correct harness for an auto. PLEASE HELP BEFORE I'M RESTRICTED TO A 45 MPH TOP SPEED......lol

joe_and_jeep
10-25-2011, 06:22 PM
99 so its OBDII, you'll need the auto computer.

tanz45
10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
I would imagine the half shafts are different as well.

DMG
10-27-2011, 10:18 AM
You would probably need a subframe, trans, shafts, a bunch of stuff. I would fix it, sell it and buy an auto trans car. Beware, Honda A/Ts of that era were problematic.

JEEPIN/J.S.A
10-28-2011, 10:51 AM
From what I can see in the Hayes manual it should be direct fit from manual to auto I can't see or read where there is any different brackets or mounts. But that is not the best way to tell, I know. But until I find a better way that is all I got for now. Unless anybody on here has an auto I can take a peek under? Shafts might be different but I found used ones on eBay pretty cheap. The computer might be a little harder but I'm sure I can find a used one of those too. What were the problems with the autos? Do you know specifics? I don't have the cash to fix and sell and buy a new one I only get one shot at this. Either fix what I have or make the swap. Either way ill still have to buy a tranny just depends on which type.

DMG
10-28-2011, 11:45 AM
In that case I would go on Car-part.com and find a local yard that has the tranny you need. Call them and tell them what you intend to do and see if they will sell you everything you may need for a set price. If they are willing to be helpful they can use the Hollander interchange manual to tell you if you need a new subframe, axles, radiator, etc.

RalphDogg
10-28-2011, 06:01 PM
put in a junk yard manual trany and sell the honda for an automatic car....what dmg said

JEEPIN/J.S.A
10-31-2011, 01:01 PM
In that case I would go on Car-part.com and find a local yard that has the tranny you need. Call them and tell them what you intend to do and see if they will sell you everything you may need for a set price. If they are willing to be helpful they can use the Hollander interchange manual to tell you if you need a new subframe, axles, radiator, etc.

"Hollander interchange manual"??????? whats that?

"see if they will sell you everything you may need for a set price."......not a bad idea...thanks

JEEPIN/J.S.A
10-31-2011, 01:13 PM
put in a junk yard manual trany and sell the honda for an automatic car....what dmg said

there is a whole lot of history with this car that I would go nuts trying to explain. but just know I cant sell it right now. I need to keep it and fix what I have....If I could afford it right now I probably would.... but I cant and no bank in the world would loan me money right now, nor would I even be dumb enough to take on more bills when I'm having trouble getting by as it is. Its not worth selling anyway I would loose my a$$ if I tried. I intend to drive this thing until the wheels fall off, and then put it back together and continue driving it until pennsylvania will not legally let me drive it anymore. and even then I might be tempted to drive it.....lol