PDA

View Full Version : Cav with wheel stuck on.....

Ed_Lorentz
11-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Anyone ever hear of not being able to get a wheel off a chevy cav? My buddy was trying to change his tire last night because it was flat but it is stuck on there and he can't get it off but it still will spin. Any ideas on what might be happening here? My guess is that it somehow rusted on because nothing appears bent. What are your thoughts?

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
11-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Steel wheels? Probably rust. I thnink the tool you need is called a "BFH"

joshs1ofakindxj
11-18-2011, 02:47 PM
If it wasn't flat you could do what someone I know did: Loosen the lug nuts a hair and drive around a parking lot till it comes loose.

Other than that, hammers and pry bars.

Super Scout
11-18-2011, 03:00 PM
I had one get stuck on an Olds, big hammer. Make sure the car is supported well your gonna hit it hard.

fmlyof4whlrs
11-18-2011, 04:24 PM
happens a lot...a work most of our trucks are hub centric wheels with aluminum rims on steel hubs. The two different metals cause corrosion that makes the rims stick. Support the vehicle well and then use a large hammer to strike the tire (not the rim). Be careful as there will be some bounce but after a few hits it should shake itself loose.

wozz
11-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Haha yep corrosion is the culprit.

About a year and a half ago one of my roommates gets a call from one of his friends that has the same problem. Five minutes later the other roommate and I roll out of a lifted one ton at this kids place. The kid looks like he couldn't lift the 4 way to get the lugs off. My roommate gives the tire a swift kick (damn near knocks the car off the scissor jack) and off it comes. Says: "Welp that outta do ya" and gets back in the truck. Look on the kids face was priceless.

End of random story

wozz
11-18-2011, 04:51 PM
If it wasn't flat you could do what someone I know did: Loosen the lug nuts a hair and drive around a parking lot till it comes loose.

Other than that, hammers and pry bars.

Meh its only flat on the bottom

Wrecker
11-18-2011, 05:03 PM
A kick. A long board against the back of the rim. Loosen lugs and drive a little. Have do done all the above when I ran road service. Dead Blow is also a good choice.

jlovbasz3
11-18-2011, 05:12 PM
x2 on the bfh

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
11-18-2011, 05:51 PM
happens a lot...a work most of our trucks are hub centric wheels with aluminum rims on steel hubs. The two different metals cause corrosion that makes the rims stick. Support the vehicle well and then use a large hammer to strike the tire (not the rim). Be careful as there will be some bounce but after a few hits it should shake itself loose.

I don't see how hitting a flat tire with a hammer is going to do anything. Tire will just absorb the blow

97V10MN
11-18-2011, 07:41 PM
I think he meant when the tires still had air in it. I've had to do it on my old chevy, even my dodge does it where you have to smack the wheel a few times to get it to pop off.

fmlyof4whlrs
11-18-2011, 07:46 PM
yeah an inflated tire works better, not sure if he can put some air in it or not from a portable air tank. Just didn't think it would be wise to go ape on a rim and ruin it.

tjblair
11-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Use a heavy soft faced hammer and beat on the rim from the inside. Put one lug on loosely so it doesn't go flying off. If you don't have a soft faced hammer. Hold a chunk of 2x4 against the wheel and beat on that. 5-10# sledge works best. Hitting the tire can work but the tire absorbs the force. And if the tire is flat will get you nowhere.

SirFuego
11-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I had a bunch of issues getting my wife's tires off to change the brakes.

First tire, I left the lugnuts loose and let the jack down. Once the weight of the vehicle came down on the tire, it popped off.

Other side, I drove it all over the parking lot at our apt complex and didn't pop out. My buddy brought over a bigass plastic deadblow hammer. Jacked it up, left one lugnut loosely on, crawled underneath and gave it a couple blows with the hammer from the inside. Came right off.

I needed to get the tire off a couple weeks later and I still needed the deadblow hammer to get it off -- which baffled me because it was the middle of the summer and I knew the rust wouldn't have been THAT bad in the short timeframe. Turns out that the center of the wheel is a slight "press" fit around the hub when the lugnuts get tightened.

Wrecker
11-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Those "press fit" ones will get worse with age. The rim will have some scale. That makes it worse. Take a piece of emory cloth and clean it a little. Some anit-seize will help greatly.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-18-2011, 10:30 PM
How about what is way worse are Honda CRV front brake rotors. They're such a tight fit on the hub that rust turns into into an almost interference fit. I've layed on my side swinging a big sledge hammer at those for hours to knock them off. What a pain in the ass that was. Luckily the girl that was paying me to change all her brakes paid me well for it. I ALMOST miss working on people's cars for beer money when I had spare time for that shit.

Sloth_Fratelli
11-18-2011, 11:45 PM
How about what is way worse are Honda CRV front brake rotors. They're such a tight fit on the hub that rust turns into into an almost interference fit. I've layed on my side swinging a big sledge hammer at those for hours to knock them off. What a pain in the ass that was. Luckily the girl that was paying me to change all her brakes paid me well for it. I ALMOST miss working on people's cars for beer money when I had spare time for that shit.

you sure you took the screws out? lol

and yeah just jack it up and kick the sumbitch with your heel hard as you can, itll come off. i have a deadblow at work i use almost exclusively for getting wheels off, rotors and drums sometimes too.

if you use a steel hammer try not to hit the actual rim, if its on there good youll destroy the rim before the wheel comes off

Mykal
11-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Tell him to put down his purse and put on his big girl panties.

wozz
11-19-2011, 12:32 AM

and yeah just jack it up and kick the sumbitch with your heel hard as you can, itll come off. i have a deadblow at work i use almost exclusively for getting wheels off, rotors and drums sometimes too.

if you use a steel hammer try not to hit the actual rim, if its on there good youll destroy the rim before the wheel comes off

Those screws are the biggest pain in the butt in the world. I broke an impact driver trying to get some out. If it was my car I would have just drilled them out.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-19-2011, 09:18 AM

I don't waste time trying to remove the screws. I just drill them out as soon as I take the wheel off.

muddeprived
11-19-2011, 11:58 AM
a 10 lb hammer swung like steriod-pumped Mark Mcquire will take any rust-stuck wheel off. (hit da wheel, not the tire)

But a rotor is another story. I tried it and cracked the rotor in half, and it was STILL stuck on the hub.

SirFuego
11-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Those "press fit" ones will get worse with age. The rim will have some scale. That makes it worse. Take a piece of emory cloth and clean it a little. Some anit-seize will help greatly.
We are getting rid of her car next year. I'm hoping that the next tire rotation is the last time I have to take off the wheels.

If there is one good thing about Sarah's Vibe (which is basically a Toyota Matrix) it's that her rear drums had threaded holes in them designed so that you could use a couple bolts to pop them off. I was NOT looking forward to taking off her rear drums and got giddy like a schoolgirl when I saw those threaded holes that made my life infinitely easier.

Sloth_Fratelli
11-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Those screws are the biggest pain in the butt in the world. I broke an impact driver trying to get some out. If it was my car I would have just drilled them out.

haha the HF driver with the orange handle? i took 3 screws out with mine before it broke while the matco guy was at my shop. needless to say i wasnt without one for long lol

wozz
11-21-2011, 05:33 PM
haha the HF driver with the orange handle? i took 3 screws out with mine before it broke while the matco guy was at my shop. needless to say i wasnt without one for long lol

No this one was actually from one of the auto parts stores. I think auto zone but am not sure.

Sloth_Fratelli
11-21-2011, 11:05 PM
performance tool isnt far behind HF. unless you have access to a snappy/matco guy id go lisle ftw (can get em at sears)

wozz
11-24-2011, 06:52 PM
performance tool isnt far behind HF. unless you have access to a snappy/matco guy id go lisle ftw (can get em at sears)

Yea it did not seem to be high quality. The kid that owned the car bought it so I didn't really have a say in what brand he got.

Rumor has it I could get 50% off snapon through school but I'm not sure that offer stands anymore. Even with that deal, I know the tools are nice but I cannot justify them over the craftsmans that I've used all my life. Plus when they break I can go to a local store and I don't have to wait for a snap on truck.

Sloth_Fratelli
11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
where you go to school? i had 60% off list at rosedale and really regret not taking advantage of that

wozz
11-27-2011, 09:57 PM
where you go to school? i had 60% off list at rosedale and really regret not taking advantage of that

I go to school at the Rochester Institute of Technology. The discount was through one of our baja team sponsors but I'm not sure if they sponsor us anymore.