PDA

View Full Version : Need a 12 ga.- Mainly for killing zombies and other personal protection issues.

DixieJeeper
11-19-2011, 04:46 PM
Like I said I am looking for a new shotgun. I was forced to sell my remington 870 when times got tough a few years ago. I never realled used it but for some trap shooting a few times. I think its time to squander some money and get prepaired for the up-coming zombie plauge and perhaps global instabilty too. I am looking for a 12 ga perferably pump action- I was wondering if anyone had some recomedations for the budget minded consumer. So recomending a Benelli would be nice.. but I am trying to keep it under 300.

ridgerunner97
11-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Used Mossberg 500 or 835 or a used Remington 870. Look for just the plain jane hunting guns, cut the barrel down to 18" and go to town... You'll be under 200 if you take your time and find one. Wait them out you can get em for under 200 used...

condortaco01
11-19-2011, 10:23 PM
I've got an 870 I was thinking about selling. I fired 2 3-1/2" mags thru it and put it away. It also has the rifled slug barrel. I was looking to get about 300 for it. Its in new condition.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-19-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm looking for one too. I made the mistake of buying a Chinese made Ultra 87 pump shotgun a little while ago for a cheap pump. Ended up being a money pit as I tried to keep it working. Only gun Century Arms has let me down on. Stay away from Chinese made shotguns.

So I'm back to looking.

condortaco01, if turboTJ doesn't want your gun let me know where you're located and we can talk.

DixieJeeper
11-20-2011, 01:03 AM
I've got an 870 I was thinking about selling. I fired 2 3-1/2" mags thru it and put it away. It also has the rifled slug barrel. I was looking to get about 300 for it. Its in new condition.
Yea I am interested... its it woodgrain or gray? got a picture?

jlovbasz3
11-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Savage and New England both offer home defense shotguns for under $300

condortaco01
11-20-2011, 07:03 PM
It has wood furniture and the metal is matte black. I'll get a picture up sometime tonight.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Savage and New England both offer home defense shotguns for under $300

I was looking at those in the store this past weekend. They're Chinese made and look identical to the Ultra 87 that tormented me. I would stay far away from those shotguns.

I was reading reviews on the Savage 350 bottom eject shotgun which is under $300. Seems like 50% work fine. Unacceptable for HD/zombie killing.

The_War_Wagon
11-21-2011, 09:47 AM
If you don't go 870 again, consider a Mossberg 590. All the aftermarket goodies that fit a 500, fit a 590, but the 590 is better quality components (especially the aluminum safety, as opposed to the plastic one on the 500.

Take it from the man who owns a 500, and WISHES he had bought a 590... :oops:

jlovbasz3
11-21-2011, 10:52 AM
I was looking at those in the store this past weekend. They're Chinese made and look identical to the Ultra 87 that tormented me. I would stay far away from those shotguns.

I was reading reviews on the Savage 350 bottom eject shotgun which is under $300. Seems like 50% work fine. Unacceptable for HD/zombie killing.

Thats some good info I never looked at them only seen them in the paper.

EddyB
11-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Here's a good quick read on defensive shotguns.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72535

condortaco01
11-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Hre's some pics, sorry it took so long.
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad106/condortaco01/DSC04030.jpg
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad106/condortaco01/DSC04027.jpg

MemorEsto
11-23-2011, 01:36 PM
If you're gonna buy something, do it up right and save for what really counts. Saiga 12 with a 20 round drum!!!

joshs1ofakindxj
11-23-2011, 02:32 PM
If you're gonna buy something, do it up right and save for what really counts. Saiga 12 with a 20 round drum!!!

I shot my friend's Saiga 12. They're pretty much worth the money from a function and fun perspective. If I don't find a Draco to buy and a pump shotgun I'll just roll both purchases into a Saiga 12. Converted ones at the gun dealer over by Indiana are like $750 I think.

EddyB
11-23-2011, 02:50 PM
I've shot the Saiga 12 and FWIW I'll stick to my Mossberg. The main problem I have with them has to do with loading and reloading. A loaded mag cannot be inserted(or even a downloaded mag) without the bolt open. If the bolt would hold open on an empty mag, then no problem. That is however not the case. Sure you can modify them to all extents to make them work properly, but that just adds money to an already expensive gun. Those high capacity mags are bulky as hell to boot. With a regular tube fed magazine you can top off when needed and still keep shooting.

MemorEsto
11-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I was thinking of buying one of these, Gander Mountain had one last time I was there. Mossberg 500 Tactical / Turkey

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/26892.jpg

DixieJeeper
11-23-2011, 08:36 PM
although I am not quite ready to build my bomb shelter- I know how effective the sound of racking a shotgun is at "crowd control" and nothing does the body bad like toss a bunch of lead down range- so I hate not having an uber home defense weapon. I don't classify my self as an alarmest- but there is alot of bad news out there and I alway have the feeling there might just come a time in the next 50 years were life turns upside down where having a few more "tools" at your disposal would secure your family better.

My glock is nice and I got extended mags from my previous life... but need to get something for those just incase momoments. Don't get me wrong I would also like to budget for saiga and a barret .50 cal for that reach out and touch somone moment. Just not in the budget but I want quality not cheap or prone to malfunction.

I have had buddies that needed their sidearm to work. And in an instant they regretted not doing reglar maintence to it when it jammed or stove pipped. Then they had to go hand to hand when it all would have been over in a pop luckily they all opened the keg of whoop ass and made it home at EOT. Thats why I hesitate purchasing a budget line long gun.

But if the worst that happens in the world is the zombie plauge I do have a tool shed fool of shovels and pick axes. :)

I might see if I can't go back to an 870 its a pretty basic but reliable gun.

The_War_Wagon
11-24-2011, 09:28 AM
although I am not quite ready to build my bomb shelter- I know how effective the sound of racking a shotgun is at "crowd control"...

I dunno... I always thought if something went bump in the night, the only sound I want to make, is a soft little *click*... of the safety coming off... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy009.gif

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_7593.jpg

YJBIZ
11-24-2011, 11:56 AM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/Slant022/StagM4BenelliM4.jpg

Just by a Benelli M4... Save your money!

joshs1ofakindxj
11-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Benelli does rule all.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't classify my self as an alarmest- but there is alot of bad news out there and I alway have the feeling there might just come a time in the next 50 years were life turns upside down where having a few more "tools" at your disposal would secure your family better.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it I always say.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

DixieJeeper
11-24-2011, 11:01 PM
In a previous life standard issue was an 870p police special. You don't always have the option in that line of work to do more than rack em.... but sometimes all you need is to rack em to get somone's attention.

DixieJeeper
12-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Picked up a remington 870 from Dick's Sporting goods- on sale fo $246- with a special in store spend 250 on remington products get (2) $40 giftcards- and I had an additional 15% off coupon, got an 870, two boxes of buck, and a soft case- under 300- if you include the free gift cards- and subtract them from the total I go the long gun for under 200.

Tis the season

condortaco01
12-11-2011, 09:38 PM
That's a hell of a deal. I couldn't even sell my used one for that. Does that have the black poly furniture? Great buy!

DixieJeeper
12-11-2011, 11:54 PM
Yea man the wife turned me on to the deal- I wish it was black- its dark wood finished... but for the price as long as it knocks down a clays and if need be put some hurting to a zombie or two... I will deal with the finish. :)

joshs1ofakindxj
12-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Sweet deal. Where did you find that 15% coupon?

DixieJeeper
12-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Online my wife scrounges some website like 'printable-e-coupons.net?' not sure if that is it or not- she printed it out for me. It was one of those 7 day or 5 day only coupons.

muddeprived
12-21-2011, 11:33 PM
What ya guys make of the Rem 11-87 (3" 12ga)? I was talkin with my stepfather today at lunch and told him pretty much what the OP said about zombie protection and he said "you can have my 11-87 premium". I got all excited and googled it and found out that it's a semi-auto which would be nice to take out the bigger zombies. Anyone got experience with it? The good? The bad?

DixieJeeper
12-22-2011, 01:05 AM
11-87 is Standard issue police shotgun much like the 870 I have it is a versitile gun hunting, clays, self defense. My buddy has an old 11-87 circa 87 or 88? perhaps he said he got it about 20+ years ago, it his old faithful he is a big pheasent hunter, duck and fowl hunter along with clays. Although he has multiple guns, he falls back to the 1187 all the time.

I used the 11-87 on the job- with a shorter barrel and my professional opnion is it would stop a large zombie with no problem inthe close rnage with the 14" barrel. His ia longer barrel but not sure of the length he uses. I like it its accurate not horrible on the kickback his is beat up and occasionally jams feeding the next shell from the magazine. But only when hot. Id get one for an all around zombie, clay, selfdefense shotgun.

ridgerunner97
12-22-2011, 09:02 AM
I shot a state issue one that was for the AG's task force, fast, lighter recoil, and cycled mixed loads well, we were stacking buck and slugs for demonstration purposes, had an 18in barrel and 8 or 9 shot mag extension, it was flush with the muzzle.

joshs1ofakindxj
12-22-2011, 09:28 AM
They only thing I hear about the 11-87 is o-ring issues, involved with the cycling of the action. I've never owned one so I don't know if it is a maintenance issue or what.

ridgerunner97
12-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Maintenance. I'm not really a semi fan but the guys that were issued those were pleased with their performance, I love a reliable pump gun.

DixieJeeper
12-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Yea most departments go 11-87 or tride and true 870's.

RockinTJ
12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Scott, all the above info. is great....Look on cheaperthandirt.com , there you can look at all the options, and find the dealers selling them.

HoodRN
12-23-2011, 12:25 PM
They only thing I hear about the 11-87 is o-ring issues, involved with the cycling of the action. I've never owned one so I don't know if it is a maintenance issue or what.

I used one on patrol for 5 years, wasn't very reliable with issued ammo (Winchester Ranger). I'm back to an 870P magnum pumpgun w/ extended mag and a Mesa sidesaddle on it. That sucker is reliable as sunrise with ANYTHING you stuff in it. IMHO, any autoloader used to defend one's life with should say "Benelli" on it somewhere :)

DixieJeeper
12-24-2011, 01:11 AM
^ Thats why I took the engraver to the remington 870 tonight and wrote "Benelli" in the stock. :)

joshs1ofakindxj
12-24-2011, 11:57 AM
IMHO, any autoloader used to defend one's life with should say "Benelli" on it somewhere :)

Quoted for truth

muddeprived
12-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Alright I received my 11-87 this morning and loving it! It's a sick gun but needs some minor modifications to fit my preferences. It has a standard walnut stock and ammo capacity. I'm looking to upgrade the stock to a tactical style and increase the ammo capacity. I been looking around on the web but i'm a noob and having a hard time finding what I need. Suggestions?

DixieJeeper
12-28-2011, 10:52 AM
surf guns and ammo's site for articles, cheaperthandirt or go to local gunsmith for advice- a mom and pop setup will be more than glad to help you I am sure.

HoodRN
12-28-2011, 04:20 PM
Alright I received my 11-87 this morning and loving it! It's a sick gun but needs some minor modifications to fit my preferences. It has a standard walnut stock and ammo capacity. I'm looking to upgrade the stock to a tactical style and increase the ammo capacity. I been looking around on the web but i'm a noob and having a hard time finding what I need. Suggestions?

J.D. McGuire at AI&P Tactical www.aiptactical.com is a magician when it comes to Remington shotguns. Contact him, he can tell you what you need, and what you don't. He built my 870P that I use on patrol. Tactical stocks, laser, lights, electric shavers, and DishNetwork dishes on shotguns all look cool for posting on www.zombieresponse.com, but aren't worth a hoot in a shootout. Simple and reliable is good, believe me, your skills deteriorate quickly when rounds are coming AT you. Extended magazine tubes are always good, as are sidesaddle ammo carriers. Save the money you'd spend on whiz-bang stuff for ammo, and the shoot the heck out of that 11-87.

DixieJeeper
12-28-2011, 04:47 PM
J... Tactical stocks, laser, lights, electric shavers, and DishNetwork dishes on shotguns all look cool for posting on www.zombieresponse.com (http://www.zombieresponse.com), but aren't worth a hoot in a shootout. Simple and reliable is good, believe me, your skills deteriorate quickly when rounds are coming AT you. ....

Amen.. back in the day when I looked at my OIS report I was amazed at the facts of how and where rounds went, and how effective myself and other 'good shooters' weren't as effective as you are punching paper at the academy. Not to say you loose all your skill but bouncing from concealment to cover and back again all the while watching cross fire limits your abilty to take the perfect Danny Glover Lethal Weapon shot :)

commando72
01-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Been looking at this one online. Anyone see one in person? Estimated costs? Should I just buy a 870 Magnum and build my own?

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-887/model-887-nitro-mag-tactical.aspx

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/remington-887-nitro-mag-tactical.jpg
(http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-887/model-887-nitro-mag-tactical.aspx)

ridgerunner97
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
^ Build your own 870 or a Mossberg 590

HoodRN
01-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Been looking at this one online. Anyone see one in person? Estimated costs? Should I just buy a 870 Magnum and build my own?

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-887/model-887-nitro-mag-tactical.aspx

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/remington-887-nitro-mag-tactical.jpg
(http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-887/model-887-nitro-mag-tactical.aspx)

You can build an 870, or get in touch w JD at www.aiptactical.com and check out the line-up of 870s he has. I use one of his Police 2 shotguns on patrol. He builds a great 870. Nothing you prob couldn't do yourself, but he's a Remington master armorer and knows EVERYTHING about their shotguns. Since my *ss depends on this weapon, I elected to have him assemble/go over it.

cityslicker
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
You can build an 870, or get in touch w JD at www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and check out the line-up of 870s he has. I use one of his Police 2 shotguns on patrol. He builds a great 870. Nothing you prob couldn't do yourself, but he's a Remington master armorer and knows EVERYTHING about their shotguns. Since my *ss depends on this weapon, I elected to have him assemble/go over it.

that HD/Duty is exactly what I want. though I like wood stocks. It is otherwise perfect.
Nice stuff, do you know the guy personally? and what area do you enforce? Try not to ticket my big ol XJ.

HoodRN
01-18-2012, 10:30 PM
that HD/Duty is exactly what I want. though I like wood stocks. It is otherwise perfect.
Nice stuff, do you know the guy personally? and what area do you enforce? Try not to ticket my big ol XJ.

Don't know him personally, although we've spoken on a number of occasions. He does good work, and he stands behind it. Even if it's your fault it's broken (870s are hard to break). I work for the state, and I'm not a big fan of writing tickets unless someone is BEGGING for one.