PDA

View Full Version : 93' Grand repair & buildup

gonecheenin
10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Spent 6 hours Sunday straightening the smashed front end so it would line up with the hood & accept the new composite headlight support again (as shown below)

I'm pretty proud of myself, I'm no body man & all i had was a Harbor freight slide hammer, a big pair of channel locks, a couple pry bars, a 8 lb sledge, and a 3 lb sledge

Actually used the 8 lb sledge fairly often as a body dolly while i smashed metal with the 3 lb'r (thats good ole fashioned redneck body work right there :047: )

Wish i had better pics of the crumbled front end before i worked on it, the center of the bumper support was about 4"s closer to the engine then in the pics, and the forward part of the right front fender was pushed back even with the start of the wheel opening (battery didn't even fit right anymore)

I got it almost exactly where it needs to be now so once i get all the cracks & such MIG'd back together I'll finish installing the headlights & such then start making plans for my channel bumper :003:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand003.jpg

gonecheenin
10-02-2006, 10:47 PM
BTW: Yes i realize its red too
What can i say, I hate being left out:icon_fU:

Hey OverkillZJ, you got that Steel city offroad deal going yet?

I'm about to spend a couple hundred on this ZJ & I'd prefer to spend it local if i could

You open for buisness yet?

gonecheenin
10-02-2006, 10:50 PM
The interior (needs detailed real bad, thing was NASTY inside when we bought it :095: )

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand004.jpg

Proof a bone stock ZJ will fit 31's no problamo' :icon_super:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand002.jpg

gonecheenin
10-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Future plans involve;

Swapping the Kenwood in from the 95' Grand i wrecked

Strengthening the unibody brackets here & there

Making a 4.5" lift with RE front coils, JKS stuff, stock stuff (front coils in rear with spacers), and some other stuff

Gonna have a rear tubes welded to diff & trussed Super 35 with 4.56's & a detriot (got it cheap)

Front tubes welded to diff HP30 from an XJ with 4.56's & a EZ locker (almost as cheap)

Various JKS stuff (Kevins trac-bar conversion, control arms, disconnects, ETC)

Gonna try to stick with stock upper arms for now at least (long as the front tires clear when turning I'm golden)

And I'm still not sure on tires, gonna be 33" radial muds at first cause thats what i have, but I'm leaning towards 33 12.50 15 Boggers in the future (read: tax income time :icon_super: )

andrew2516
10-02-2006, 11:13 PM
BTW: Yes i realize its red too
What can i say, I hate being left out:icon_fU:

Damn!!! What is up with New Ken and the red Jeeps!?:043:

The body work looks good...looks like it will be a clean lookin rig once you get it up off the ground.

hummog
10-03-2006, 07:27 AM
Hey Jason............ya know we're overdue on making a visit to see Billy!!.........Road trip:s-ctf:

gonecheenin
10-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Damn!!! What is up with New Ken and the red Jeeps!?:043:

The body work looks good...looks like it will be a clean lookin rig once you get it up off the ground.

Must be the water :036:

Yeah it should be a fairly clean looking rig when i put the lift on, but probaly not so much once i put it in the woods a few times :cool:

Hey Jason............ya know we're overdue on making a visit to see Billy!!.........Road trip:s-ctf:

HEY, your the one thats running around every weekend playing golf :098:

You suggesting needing a couple co-pilots in the Hummer :047:

gonecheenin
10-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Sounds like a nice setup...If grands are anything like XJ's...I've still got stock uppers at 6". Sounds like it will be a nice trail rig:s-minigun:

Yeah...thats always the nice thing about wheeling with different people...you find new places:039: . I know a lot of the local places that all have different types of wheeling.

and I see your going with SuperSwampers....thats the only way to go if you wheel!

Front ZJ suspension is a carbon copy of front XJ suspension.

You don't have those drop brackets or anything for your control arms?

If your still using the stock uppers on the stock brackets at 6" turning 34's then thats the info i've been looking for.

I know they'd be strong enough, i was just concerned about clearance when steering, thanks man that takes a load off my chest right there :icon_super:

I blew another radial tire in the rocks of Wellsville about a month ago & at that exact moment I swore I'd never EVER go in the woods with anything but a bias ply Swamper ever again if given the choice!

OverkillZJ
10-03-2006, 10:41 AM
BLING BLING!

Check your PM's.

jeepxj3
10-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Sweet!! It will be nice to wheel with a ZJ again! They are somthing different. I wish I still had my ZJ, the luxury options were somthing else....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Jeep%20Pics/IMG_1483.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Jeep%20Pics/IMG_1486.jpg

Those are the best pics I have of the old girl. RIP 94 ZJ Limited... :(

andrew2516
10-03-2006, 11:33 AM
No, I don't have drop brackets for my control arms...and the uppers are stock. You would defanitly need lowers though...I have seen stock lowers fold pretty easy under pressure. The stock uppers are the same as the stock lowers...but I don't think they get as much pressure.

Should be a nice looking grand...I've never wheeled with one:icon_super:

gonecheenin
10-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Definitely plan on lowers no matter what if for no other reasons then flex clearance, toughness, and death wobble resistance

Nice ZJ, why did you get rid of it?

My 95' Laredo i have is a limited in everything but the name & paint, that thing was sweet even on the trails (2" BB & 31's with a stick shift), damn shame i wrecked it :disgust:
Oh well, at least its making me money parting it out

This 93' ain't near as nice, but for a cheap trail rig the driveline will rock and besides beggers can't be chosers :icon_eyes:

Will do Matt

jeepxj3
10-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Definitely plan on lowers no matter what if for no other reasons then flex clearance, toughness, and death wobble resistance

Nice ZJ, why did you get rid of it?

My 95' Laredo i have is a limited in everything but the name & paint, that thing was sweet even on the trails (2" BB & 31's with a stick shift), damn shame i wrecked it :disgust:
Oh well, at least its making me money parting it out

This 93' ain't near as nice, but for a cheap trail rig the driveline will rock and besides beggers can't be chosers :icon_eyes:

Will do Matt

Personally I would replace all stock arms, but thats just my thoughts. You will understand what im talking about as soon as you take them off, I was able to twist my uppers in my own bare hands...

Got rid of the ZJ because it was totaled a week after a bought it. Dude side swiped me, and there was some other problems with it I was planning on fixing but thought since I had a functional Jeep I would just rather total it and take the money and run! :102: It paid off the rest of the Jeep and bought the ARB on the front of the XJ as well as started building the 6in lift I have on it now.

gonecheenin
10-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Personally I would replace all stock arms, but thats just my thoughts. You will understand what im talking about as soon as you take them off, I was able to twist my uppers in my own bare hands...

I know they twist easy, but thats also why they flex so well.
Since the uppers are tucked away so good the only strength they need to have is lengthwise to be safe & strong (all the other ZJ's I've had (at 3.5" of lift or less) ran stock uppers too, the only reason i was questioning keeping them was length reasons for steering clearences on 33's at the 4.5" lift height)
High quality control arms are too damn expensive to buy if you can get away without them just fine :gear_cool2:

Got rid of the ZJ because it was totaled a week after a bought it. Dude side swiped me, and there was some other problems with it I was planning on fixing but thought since I had a functional Jeep I would just rather total it and take the money and run! :102: It paid off the rest of the Jeep and bought the ARB on the front of the XJ as well as started building the 6in lift I have on it now.

I feel your pain man, losing my 95' hurt :icon_hang:
But i also understand you taking the money & running, no reason to dwell on something like that

Whats done is done.

andrew2516
10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Sweet!! It will be nice to wheel with a ZJ again! They are somthing different. I wish I still had my ZJ, the luxury options were somthing else....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Jeep%20Pics/IMG_1483.jpg

Good thing your not wheeling that! you might be afraid to get a little mud on the leather:033:

jeepxj3
10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
I feel your pain man, losing my 95' hurt :icon_hang:
But i also understand you taking the money & running, no reason to dwell on something like that

Whats done is done.

:werd: V8 was nice too, but being able to see my gas mileage really sucked.... :012:

gonecheenin
10-04-2006, 03:31 PM
:werd: V8 was nice too, but being able to see my gas mileage really sucked.... :012:

Mine was a 4.0l :gear_cool2:

gonecheenin
10-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Heh Heh Heh Heh :gear_cool2:

RUBICON EXPRESS
Order Confirmation
Product# Description Quantity Unit Price Sub Total
RE1345 Coil Springs ZJ 4.5" Front 1 $174.95 $174.95
RE1383 3" Front Bump Stops 1 $33.95 $33.95

Sub Total: $208.90
Tax: $0.00
Est. Shipping - UPS Ground: $29.70

Total: $238.60
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ORDER

andrew2516
10-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Heh Heh Heh Heh :gear_cool2:

Nice...always get that good feeling when you know some parts will be showing up at your door:111:

Cebby
10-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Nice...always get that good feeling when you know some parts will be showing up at your door:111:

Ain't that the truth. I've got a little somethin' coming Friday (hopefully) :023:

OverkillZJ
10-04-2006, 11:24 PM
I know the feeling, just had a few "small" parts for the surubon show up :}

gonecheenin
10-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I WILL be getting the Kevins JKS track bar conversion setup eventually, but since I'm quickly running out of current available moneys and I need something for now.
This morning i went with the cheapest thing i could find that would still allow me to flex more the the stock setup without breaking things

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Adjustable-Front-Track-bar-TJ-ZJ-XJ-Jeep_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQihZ002QQite mZ120037491046QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Adjustable-Front-Track-bar-TJ-ZJ-XJ-Jeep_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33585QQihZ002QQite mZ120037491046QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

With the bends i'll be able to get away with way more droop then the stock setup, but also since it was the cheapest thing out there i'll be losing as little money as possible when i go to the Kevins setup in the future

Plus i figure i may be able to make my own double shear horizontal bolt setup with a rod end & a chunk of 2" box tubing to replace the tie rod end dealio if i so desire :040:

BTW: Since the Kevins rear JKS track bar is so cheap, I'll be getting that for the back of the ZJ now, and when i do the front Kevins JKS conversion I'll also purchase the super hard bushings for the rear at that point

OverkillZJ
10-05-2006, 10:03 AM
I have a Front JKS bar for a ZJ sitting around, too late I guess :fing:

gonecheenin
10-05-2006, 10:12 AM

Are you freaking serious

OHHHH, you suck really bad :075:

gonecheenin
10-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Out of curiosity, how much?

OverkillZJ
10-05-2006, 10:45 AM
It's the old school style JKS which personly I'd want to rotate to make double sheer, but it never gave me in issue. It's like this (this is one my buddy just sold): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260037133649

The front track bar conversion is the way to go, but I've never seen one of these break. Kind of surprising considering the leverage that's put on the bolt in this setup, but I ran it right up until buggy mode, and hell it did better then ;)

Edit: I guess $55, didn't wanna turn your thread into my for-sale zone though!

gonecheenin
10-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Man, that sucks :(

I'd have bought that in a heart beat if i didn't already have this one coming (and you know how ebay is about renigging on a "Buy it Now")

andrew2516
10-05-2006, 11:41 AM
If its like a XJ...you could have just drilled a new hole for the trac bar also, but ZJ's are probably different.:s-chainsaw:

OverkillZJ
10-05-2006, 11:55 AM
ZJ's are special, they hold more groceries!

gonecheenin
10-05-2006, 12:15 PM
If its like a XJ...you could have just drilled a new hole for the trac bar also, but ZJ's are probably different.:s-chainsaw:

Like i said before the front suspension of a ZJ is almost a carbon copy of an XJ's (excpet for some stuff on the frame side)

and yes you can redrill the axle side trackbar mount to recenter the axle which would work just fine on the street, but that does nothing to help your track bars binding during flexing while offroading with your sway bar disconnected (which mine frequently is)

Even my 95 on a 2" BB (and longer shocks) bound up the trac bar bad enough while flexing offroad to bend a big U shape into the end of the front axles trackbar mounting bracket.

Thats why the bends in the aftermarket bar are so important, it makes the bar "think" it isn't lifted so that the axle & frame brackets have as much range of motion available as possible using the factory mounting style

andrew2516
10-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Thats pretty crazy that it would bind enough to actually bend the trac bar. I don't think I have seen to much binding out of my stocker even though a new HD trac bar is on the list after a few other things.

TimMichaels
10-05-2006, 01:24 PM
ZJ's are special, they hold more groceries!

:043:

I'll vouch for that one. I just brought in a huge shipment of junk food from Wal-Mart... mmm Hot Pockets....

gonecheenin
10-05-2006, 01:38 PM
:042:

Cebby
10-05-2006, 04:09 PM
It's the old school style JKS which personly I'd want to rotate to make double sheer, but it never gave me in issue. It's like this (this is one my buddy just sold): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260037133649

The front track bar conversion is the way to go, but I've never seen one of these break. Kind of surprising considering the leverage that's put on the bolt in this setup, but I ran it right up until buggy mode, and hell it did better then ;)

Edit: I guess $55, didn't wanna turn your thread into my for-sale zone though!

Will this fit a WJ? ;)

OverkillZJ
10-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Actually I'm not sure, but I think it was listed as ZJ/XJ/TJ so I'm betting no, but I could be totally wrong. My dad never let me tear into his WJ too much, he was smart, it was put to a stop at a BB and disconnects ;)

gonecheenin
10-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Decided there was no way in hell i was spending $160 on freaking shocks for my budget street & trail wheeler.

So after digging through the Napa Catalog here at work i found a longer exact fit rear replacement, but for the front there is no good longer shock option with that stupid front bar pin thing on the bottom, so i went to the same type of lower mounting the rear has and i'll fab a new bolt in lower bracket to convert the stupid original front lower mount to accept the new rear shock lower mount style.

That decided I found 4 shocks that will work great with my 4.5" lift along with my front 3" bumpstop extensions & rear 2" bump stop extensions plus give me an extra 7"s of overall travel for a grand total of $60 my cost (got a real good employee discount 8) )

front 4.5" lifted Napa part# 94198
(94198 spec's are C-15.6", E-27.3", T-11.6"
Front Stock were C-13.0", E-21.1", T-8.1")

Rear Napa part# 94252
(94252 specs are C-16.6", E-28.3", T-11.6"
Rear stock were C-13.4", E-21.5", T-8.1")

gonecheenin
10-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Hey Matt, what do you think about doing a shade tree adjustable rear track bar?

I'm getting kinda tight on money rounding up these parts, and the only major thing left i need is a rear track bar ( i REFUSE to use a bracket of any kind)

I could get the JKS one now but it would hurt (I will get it for sure eventually), So i'm considering building one.
But since i'm no engineer i'm worried it might no hold up on the street?

I've fabbed steering linkage for my bluggy & it has turned the 38's with no ill effects, but the bluggy never went 70mph down the interstate either!

I'm thinking about cutting the lower bushing end off, welding two grade 8 3/4 fine thread high nuts together, welding them to the cutoff bar end, then welding a tube or pipe sleeve over top of it all

then I'll thread in a 3/4 fine heim & bingo, cheap (temporary) adjustable tie rod.

Thoughts?

OverkillZJ
10-07-2006, 12:14 PM
I"ve seen shade-tree done to last, but always with an ajuster rod and threaded inserts: Don't know about the nuts welded to the rod, but I'm no engineer either!

gonecheenin
10-07-2006, 01:18 PM
I did the traction bar on my Bluggy like that & it held fine, but once again the Bluggy doesn't do 70 mph on the interstate

If my welding & fab skills hold up well enough to turn locked 38's in the rocks I'd think it will hold up in this situation

I'm gonna try it out & see what happens, since its the rear it shouldn't be near as stressed (or as dangerous) as the front anyway

mudforblood
10-07-2006, 05:33 PM
On my 95' ZJ I just cut the bar and welded a piece of "tube" (1" sch 40 pipe, don't tell anyone) inside and outside on the short end and the outside on the other. I have roughly a 4" lift and only needed to be 3/4"-1" longer?? Its kinda hard to pull the over to center without making squat and then measure. Seems to be pretty close though. I didnt think mine needed to be adjustable since it is only temporary$

Cebby
10-07-2006, 07:16 PM
I"ve seen shade-tree done to last, but always with an ajuster rod and threaded inserts: Don't know about the nuts welded to the rod, but I'm no engineer either!
IMO, do it right or buy one which means tube insert for your fabbed one, not a nut. I don't want to be driving down the road with you next to me and have that booty fab let loose...

Sleeving it (lengthened) gives me more of a warm & fuzzy than the nut method.

gonecheenin
10-07-2006, 11:38 PM
IMO, do it right or buy one which means tube insert for your fabbed one, not a nut. I don't want to be driving down the road with you next to me and have that booty fab let loose...

Sleeving it (lengthened) gives me more of a warm & fuzzy than the nut method.

Thats what i had in mind to strengthen the design, See below qoute from above

then welding a tube or pipe sleeve over top of it all

The nuts are simply the "Inserts" that allow me to thread in a Heim, i would think that welding the nuts together, THEN sleeving them too would be stronger then a little insert with only one bead around the outer edge (and maybe a couple plug welds)

since the bar is solid i can't use a tubing insert anyway.

Why is making a double welded adjustable track bar "Booty Fab" ?

Booty fab to me would be just cutting & lengthening the bar with only two welds to hold it all together.

gonecheenin
10-07-2006, 11:41 PM
What material is the tubing inserts made out of?

I have total confidence in the strength of Grade 8 high nuts & their weld compatability, but i'm curious what the material comparasions are?

BTW: If i could afford to buy one, this question would no longer be needed. :003:

gonecheenin
10-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Whelp, I sucked it up and decided to purchase OverkillZJ's old JKS front trac-bar instead of running that el-cheapo from Ebay
Along with also getting a brand new JKS rear trac-bar simply to put my mind at ease while travelling with this rig on the highways.

I got all the headlight adjusters i needed from Jeep
Got the turn signal lens assemblys from NAPA
Got the front end all Mig'd together & primer on it

Once the weather allows me to put a final coat of paint on the front end metal i should have the wreck repair completed in a jiff 8)

AND I also recieved the 4.5" front springs & bumpstops from RE today :twisted: :047:

andrew2516
10-12-2006, 01:26 PM
When is all this going together!? We need to get that into the woods!

gonecheenin
10-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Hopefully by the end of the year?

Planning on driving it for a couple weeks till my trucks fixed, then I figure a couple more weeks to get the brackets reinforced, locked axles installed, and lift completed

So i'm hoping it will be completely ready for some snow wheeling on X-mas break at the latest :001:

gonecheenin
10-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Hmmm, very interesting mount beef up article

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/SRlowerCtrlArmMount/lcamount.htm

gonecheenin
10-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the trac-bar Matt

The Ebay one looks better then i thought it would, definitely a step above stock in strength AND flex clearance

But that JKS is still the best option overall :080:

jeepxj3
10-16-2006, 02:55 PM
we need update pics of yur junque!

gonecheenin
10-16-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm working on it, having some problems with the headlight assembly retainer clips right now though

when thats solved the front end (sans the stupid bumper cover) should be complete :biggrin: then its some minor wiring issues and the Heep will be driveable

gonecheenin
10-16-2006, 06:54 PM
STUPID FARKING HEEP DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arghhhhhh :icon_hang:

They don't sell the damn clips seperately, so know i have to buy two new headlight lens assemblys :009: (Junkyard ain;t gonna work either, these clips get old & bust like a locked D35 on 37's)

FARK.

Well at least I work parttime for NAPA so maybe they won't be too bad through the aftermarket ($130 apc through Heep)

Hmm, Matt your headlamp assemblys still laying around?
If the clips are still in good shape & the same style as the 93' maybe you could help me out here :icon_pray:

gonecheenin
10-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Sweet, headlamps are only 40 something a pc my cost through NAPA, seems there ARE benifits to working saturdays for 6 years :047:

Bunch of other small stuff to figure out, but as of last nights fluid top off she's mobile again anyway :004:

Hmmm, Wish i had remembered to get pics of the Tranny & Powersteering cooler setups before i painted them black & bolted a headlamp support pc in the way

gonecheenin
10-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Found out it doesn't have a AW4, just a 42re like most of the rest
But eh, it works fine & I have a stick shift backup :icon_madu:

Headlamps in, New grills in, all lights working, Engine & T-case fluids changed, T-case linkage fixed, and the front ends tight :056:

Brakes, exhaust, heater motor, and horns then shes ready for an inspection sticker :035:

(Need to remember to take pics in the daylight)

gonecheenin
10-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Exhaust done (glass pack sounds pretty good), brakes done, horns done

Blower motor & a broken tranny crossmember to unibody bolt i found (this should be fun) and we're motoring Heep style :080:

gonecheenin
10-27-2006, 07:52 AM
Running & driving as of last nights trip to Wendys for a vanilla flurry :112:

It don't look a whole lot different then before all this except it now has headlights & a grill, but i'll get the pics up stat :080:

andrew2516
10-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Posting up that you are driving and no pics yet...:flamer:

Did you get that lift on yet?

gonecheenin
10-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Did you get that lift on yet?

nope, got all the parts I'll need, but that jobs on the "to do list" for after i get my truck back from the shop

I'm hoping to get the on sometime in early november, till then I'm sure we'll have to do a little stocker wheelin' though :gear_cool2:

gonecheenin
10-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Just some pics of her Pre" lift, locked axles, & 33's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/93Grand013.jpg

gonecheenin
12-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Updated pics with the new "Jay built" bumper, disconnects, cheap & quick 2" lift (needed way more time to do the 4.5" & locked axles then i had available at this point), and 31" recapped Mud's 8) 8) 8)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/93Grandbumper006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/93Grandbumper007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/93Grandbumper008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/93Grandbumper009.jpg

mudforblood
12-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Nice work. Did you weld the bumper/skid to the stock rad. support? Should protect the rad pretty good.

You shoulda left the plastic on under the doors to cover up the dents:003: I think mine are made of tupperware or something, if I look under mine it's all smashed but the plastic looks good as new(well almost)

How much did the tires cost ya? They look pretty good for a recap.

gonecheenin
12-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Nice work. Did you weld the bumper/skid to the stock rad. support? Should protect the rad pretty good.

Nothings welded to the ZJ itself, that entire bumper is bolted into the stock tow hook mounting holes AND also has steel plate on the outside to sandwich the unibody frame rails for maximum strength

I built it so that it would mount right up to any ZJ I have or get in the future

Was gonna cap the top of it for looks, but after further thought I'm just gonna leave it all open and add extensions to the sides plus build a highlift jack mount on top along with an intergel 2" reciever for my future removable winch setup :004:

You shoulda left the plastic on under the doors to cover up the dents:003: I think mine are made of tupperware or something, if I look under mine it's all smashed but the plastic looks good as new(well almost)

I would have except I ripped it off already stocker wheeling up Big Murph and haven't got a chance to rob a new pc off the parts ZJ yet, besides the dents add character & proof :036:

How much did the tires cost ya? They look pretty good for a recap.

$52 a pc from Highland tire in Tarentum

They measure out to what would be considered a 32", they work great in the mud AND slippery rocks @ 18 psi (really amazing on the slippery wet rock actually) and the most impressive part is they run really smooth out the highway at speed!!!!
Of course they'll wear out fast, but we don't drive this vehicle all that much and for $52 apc we can afford another set much quicker.

See above

Speedjunkie
12-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Looks like its coming along good.

andrew2516
12-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Nice looking bumper:036: ...now you just need to come out wheeling with us sometime!

gonecheenin
12-11-2006, 10:38 PM
That would be much easier if you weren't ripping your Heep apart :icon_hang: :098:

I been wanting to get enough done to the street & trail ZJ where it would be half decently capable on a light duty ride or else I'd have been out with you guys already

If feasible i plan in hitting one soon :gear_cool2:

andrew2516
12-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Yeah we'll have to hit the trails soon! Theres a few local trails I'd like to check out...Kittanning again, Creek Falls. Surprisingly we have some nice trails that are pretty close. Jason(jeepxj3) will probably be wheeling a stocker but Seth(seth7517) just put some 35"s and BW's on his jeep and they need testing!

mudforblood
12-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeah, I would probably leave the top of the bumper open, then you could clean out the mud and garbage easier. The rocker plastic hasnt fell off of mine yet somehow but its ready to. I will be getting steel soon to chop the rockers out and have some nice sliders.

If feasible i plan in hitting one soon :gear_cool2:

How's this weekend? Depending how much choppin I get done I might just throw my 31's back on and go out this weekend.

gonecheenin
12-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I would probably leave the top of the bumper open, then you could clean out the mud and garbage easier. The rocker plastic hasnt fell off of mine yet somehow but its ready to. I will be getting steel soon to chop the rockers out and have some nice sliders.

Yep, some new rockers is on my list as well
A nice 1/4 steel 1x4/2x6 (not sure what size would be best yet) would be sweet to not only keep the doors opening but also maintain ground clearance and act as nerf bars too :112:

How's this weekend? Depending how much choppin I get done I might just throw my 31's back on and go out this weekend.

No can do this weekend, X-mas party on Saturday night and gotta help a buddy move into his new house on Sunday

Weekend right before X-mas maybe?

See above

gonecheenin
04-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Heading to NTW tomorrow morning to P/U the 33" TSL's for this project http://www.blwa.org/phpbb/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

Soon as Jaybird gets Seismik's Trac-Lok install finished on her 94' Grand so that she won't need the 93' everyday anymore, the 93' is headed to the Gee-Rage to get the lift, axles, and t-case swap done to make this
Bee-Atch a Mo-Cheen :040:

Schimiz3306
04-05-2007, 09:50 AM
to make this
Translation? This bitch is going to be sick?

gonecheenin
04-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Translation? This bitch is going to be sick?

Sure, that'll work :080:

andrew2516
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
33" TSL's:icon_madu: ...post up on here if you need a hand, i should be around this weekend

What kind of t-case and axles are you swapping in? NP231?

gonecheenin
04-05-2007, 11:31 AM
What kind of t-case and axles are you swapping in? NP231?

Locked & 4.56 geared HP30 front axle
Locked, trussed, & 4.56 geared Super 35 rear axle
And a YJ 231 :gear_cool2:

andrew2516
04-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Locked & 4.56 geared HP30 front axle
Locked, trussed, & 4.56 geared Super 35 rear axle
And a YJ 231 :gear_cool2:

Nice...where did you find the axles?

mudforblood
04-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Heading to NTW tomorrow morning to P/U the 33" TSL's for this project http://www.blwa.org/phpbb/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif

Soon as Jaybird gets Seismik's Trac-Lok install finished on her 94' Grand so that she won't need the 93' everyday anymore, the 93' is headed to the Gee-Rage to get the lift, axles, and t-case swap done to make this

Sweeeett!! :035:

Copycat!:003:

So by Monday you should be ready to wheel? :098:

YZEATER
04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
that's gonna be a heck of a street wheeler.

gonecheenin
04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Nice...where did you find the axles?

Had the rear for about 2-3 years now (jumped on a good deal from someone with a TJ going bigger)

Had a front non-disconnect XJ axle built with new Yukon gears & bearings and a used lockright locker last year

Sweeeett!! :035:

Copycat!:003:

So by Monday you should be ready to wheel? :098:

Riiiiiiight

I'm getting old buddy, projects take time these days :019:

It actually wouldn't take too long honestly except I have to finish building the hybrid lower arms, weld & truss the rear housing, swap the stuff from the TJ axle housing into the Grand housing with new bearings & seals, redo all the brakes while I have it apart, change out that stupid 242 T-case over to the 231 & then make the shift linkage work, and finish assembling the front axle assembly

But I'll get it done, how long it takes is how long it takes :gear_cool2:

gonecheenin
04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
that's gonna be a heck of a street wheeler.

Thats the plan :icon_super:

mudforblood
04-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Riiiiiiight

I'm getting old buddy, projects take time these days :019:

It actually wouldn't take too long honestly except I have to finish building the hybrid lower arms, weld & truss the rear housing, swap the stuff from the TJ axle housing into the Grand housing with new bearings & seals, redo all the brakes while I have it apart, change out that stupid 242 T-case over to the 231 & then make the shift linkage work, and finish assembling the front axle assembly

But I'll get it done, how long it takes is how long it takes :gear_cool2:

Just jaggin ya.:044: It sucks cause I remember pulling all nighters all the time not to long ago. Now I wake up on the creeper and smack my head off of a transmission or something.

We should have a poll to see who all has feel asleep working on their vehicles. My buddy used to do it all the time working on his truck. How fast do you think a cranked up 460 with open headers wakes someone up??:044: :044: That was great!! Wish I had a video camera back then.

gonecheenin
04-05-2007, 03:53 PM
We should have a poll to see who all has feel asleep working on their vehicles.

Definitely done that myself :082:

gonecheenin
04-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Mission accomplished (b4xs even picked up some 38.5 Boggers for his YJ project while we were there) :twisted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Swampers/Swampers001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Swampers/Swampers003.jpg
Of course while we were there we needed to browse the Bogger isle 8)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Swampers/Swampers005.jpg

Wow,
54"s of BAD arse rubber right there
:jawdrop:
(I seem to have the "Full Metal Jacket" pose going on right there too :101: )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Swampers/Swampers004.jpg

OverkillZJ
04-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Jay....

WTF are you doing to that tire!?!?!?

I don't think that's how you put a rubber on, unless I've been doing something wrong!

gonecheenin
04-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Jay....

WTF are you doing to that tire!?!?!?!

I'm a freelance tech for Interco and I was testing their new 54" Bogger for its level of resistance against "small" punctures :040:

gonecheenin
04-07-2007, 09:25 AM
Jay....I don't think that's how you put a rubber on, unless I've been doing something wrong!

Ribbed;
For HER pleasure :081: :044:

XJchris98
04-07-2007, 10:16 AM
mmmmmmmmm NTW..............:drool:

YZEATER
04-09-2007, 09:01 AM
now that's a scary picture.

trailerrails
04-09-2007, 10:31 AM
now that's a scary picture.

If you think that is bad, there is another pic somewhere of him, a 39.5" bogger and an air hose, I'll let you figure it out from there. :078:

gonecheenin
04-09-2007, 10:38 AM
If you think that is bad, there is another pic somewhere of him, a 39.5" bogger and an air hose, I'll let you figure it out from there. :078:

What, I just "enjoy" my hobbie

:082:

andrew2516
04-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Nice...I seen it the other day and almost thought it was stock for a second...we can't have that!

I can't wait to see those mounted up:118:

gonecheenin
07-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Some progress pics :twisted:
Got the old frontend out;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject001.jpg

Drugg the new locked & geared HP30 over to start installing it;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject005.jpg

And found that it wasn't as nice of a housing as I was told it was;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject006.jpg

So after some thought about how much I didn't want to start over with another housing, I decided to fix those dilapidated lower control arm mounts with some much thicker material heavy duty re-enforcment plates/control arm mount skids;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject011.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject012.jpg

Offroad bumpers make great work benchs :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject009.jpg

All finished, painted pretty, and ready to install
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject013.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject014.jpg

Then of course I had to mount up the Tuxus's on the rear to see how they fit/looked 8)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject017.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/Grandproject015.jpg

Got the TSL's mounted up & balanced their rims this week too :twisted:

Heh, Heh, Heh
I love this shit :D

gonecheenin
07-22-2007, 09:07 PM
got the front HP30 installed & tightened down today with the rigs weight sitting on her springs
(Theres a Brian in the pic for scale :lol: )
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5RElift004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5RElift001.jpg

Was gonna build brackets to allow me to install the NAPA 94198 shocks on the Grand, but after some thought I decided it would take more work to reinvent the wheel so I simply pushed the bar pins outta the old shocks with my balljoint press & pressed them into the 94198 to replace the steel sleeves & everything mounted up great with the shocks maxing out travel right when the control arms bound against my custom clearanced lower control arm mounts 8)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5RElift003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5RElift002.jpg

still gotta install BJ's, steering, Trac-bar (old school JKS rebuilt with all new stuff), & Etc.... but I'm still pleased with the progress :rock:

andrew2516
07-23-2007, 11:29 AM
looks good...HP30 FTW:thumbsup:

gonecheenin
07-23-2007, 12:10 PM
FTW:thumbsup:

Alright, educate me

What the hell is FTW? (I keep seeing that everywhere & I can't figure out what it means, "F**k the world" is the only thing that comes to mind & that don't really fit, least I don't think so anyway :040: )

andrew2516
07-23-2007, 01:20 PM
:043: F**k the World!

it actually means for the win

btw...those lower control mounts look bad ass...I want to do something like that with mine. The stock ones are so thin I don't really think it would take much to rip one of them off.

gonecheenin
07-23-2007, 03:20 PM
:043: F**k the World!

it actually means for the win

Gotch Ya' :023:

btw...those lower control mounts look bad ass...I want to do something like that with mine. The stock ones are so thin I don't really think it would take much to rip one of them off.

Yep, was pretty easy to do too both in plating and trimming for articulation

Might not be as easy to do with the axle installed though since you'd have to work upside down :108:

gearhead313
07-23-2007, 05:47 PM
sweet stuff man... i remember notching my shock perches out for my long arms. that should be more than fine how you have it setup there. Do you have 297x shafts in it?... i cant remember if you had alloy stuff for that or the back

gonecheenin
07-27-2007, 09:29 AM
sweet stuff man... i remember notching my shock perches out for my long arms. that should be more than fine how you have it setup there.

Cool, I thought about boxing the cut part in but I couldn't get to the inner steel anyway, plus even chopped open like that it still looked like it was pretty strong construction that would hold up fine

Do you have 297x shafts in it?... i cant remember if you had alloy stuff for that or the back

The 93' grand (its a 4.0/NP242 combo) came with the standard 297 size joints in it, but I'm swapping the 27 spline Warn alloys & ranger style hub kit from my YJ purchase into the Grands HP30 (changing the YJ over to fullsize 1/2 ton axles with alloys & etc...)

so the Grand will be alloyed front & rear with Precision 371 joints (same joints that turned the 38" boggers on my Bluggy without any noteable breakage) in the Warn shafts with full circle clips, should hold up pretty well I hope (only thing that sucks is now I have to buy a $130 Warn stub to carry as a spare unless D35 TTB outers will work or something)

gonecheenin
08-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Got some more progress made recently
(Once again I know I'm not a great welder so I don't wanna hear it (specially since nothing I've welded/over welded has fallen off/broken yet :wink: ))
I pulled the rear housing out, stripped it almost bare, welded the tubes to the housing, and trussed the center section for strength (Now its a REAL SUPER 35 :047: )
Its now ready for cleaning, painting, and reassembly :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup009.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup018.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup015.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup014.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup019.jpg

Got penetration? :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup017.jpg

Next step on the fabrication list is reinforcing the notoriously weak (In a lifted short arm application) ZJ unibody upper control arm mounts.
As you can see in the pic they are totally unsupported on the outer top of the bracket which is EXACTLY where the stress is transfered once the vehicle is lifted (the control arms drop down to an angle where they quit pulling back & start pulling down)
I plan on doing a plate & ear design that will bolt through the floor to a larger plate tied into the structural areas under the rear seat.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup013.jpg

Also disassembled the spare HP30 housing I picked up for the steering knuckles to replace the severely worn ones the Grand had on it stock
Slowly but surely I'm making headway 8)

gonecheenin
08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Got the rear all painted up pretty & ready to be reinstalled
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/rearfab003.jpg

Got the 3/16" upper control arm brackets braces built, drilled, & mocked onto the jeep to use for a template to drill the holes up through the rear floor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/rearfab001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/rearfab004.jpg

I spoke with a friend of mine who used to build roll cages in unibody race cars & he said that a 6"x6" 1/8" plate sandwiching the floor top & bottom meets NHRA standards for mouting the roll cage & saving a life at 100+ MPH.
Soooooo, I figure that a 6"x3" 3/16th plate welded into a T to a pc of 1.5"x1.5" 1/4" angle that will be threaded under that seat bracket & bolted down through the floor on the inner side to the lower brace plates with 4) grade 8 bolts & locknuts (a single G8 bolt & heavy washer will go in the hole on the upper side of that seat bracket with a small plate) and at the other end the angle iron will be tied into the outside lower seat bracket bolt which will brace the whole assembly across the frame rail (I'm figuring with all the leverage advantage from length, that single bolt should be plenty strong).
I'm thinking this setup should provide all the added strength I'll ever need to structurally reinforce the upper control arm brackets on this and any future grand cherokee's short arms 8)

Here's where those holes came up through the rear floor (one hole is hiddin' by the seat bracket) you can also see the lower bolt of the seat back on the far lower right that I'm gonna be utilizing to tie in the upper plate "leg"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/rearfab007.jpg

MF Steve!
08-19-2007, 06:33 PM
That's one damn strong cardboard box!

gonecheenin
08-19-2007, 06:44 PM

LOL, and here I thought you were gonna comment on my work :003:

Thats a pallet carton from work, I stole it to take the rear housing home after running it through our giant automated steam cleaning machine

its how CAT ships us our parts from their depos' so its definitely not weak!

XJchris98
08-19-2007, 06:45 PM

X2 :paranoid:

MF Steve!
08-19-2007, 06:47 PM
LOL, and here I thought you were gonna comment on my work :003:

Thats a pallet carton from work, its how CAT ships us our parts from their depos' so its definitely not weak!

Oh yea...nice work man! I've seen so much ZJ work I don't even wanna think about looking at anymore. That's probably why I noticed you had your axle on a cardboard box, instead of jack stands. I've been in the house too long. I was planning on another day of MTB action...but the weather is prohibiting that. I'm about to lose it.[/slaphappytalk]

gonecheenin
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
I've seen so much ZJ work I don't even wanna think about looking at anymore.

LOL, try my side of the screen :078:

Oh well, should all be worth it in the end

I'm posting so many pics cause I know I find build threads boring unless I can follow along, and to be honest posting them allows me to look everything over again too

Like those UCA brace plates, I think I'm gonna add an additional gusset & redrill the upper right hole further out to allow me to build the interior plates with an extension for tieing it all in way better then is possible now

Honestly I hate wrenching so I don't like it when things break, which makes me over build em' a little (not to the point of losing capability though) to let me have fun without hopefully ever having to work on major parts again :110:

gonecheenin
09-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Whelp I spent almost this entire weekend wrenching on the Grand, I'm pretty beat down but with all the prgress I made it was worth it %100

Swapped the Super 35 stuff over into the strengthend ZJ housing & found a chipped gear tooth, after reading in Randy's differential book that a ring gear can usually survive a chipped tooth in the toe area I smoothed & blended the tooth to remove any stress risers or sharp edges as best I could to get this
(even though I'm still worried as hell about it I figure I'll run it for now & just plan on ordering some Yukon 4.56's soon as a preventive action)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup001-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup004-1.jpg

The pattern wasn't perfect, but with the spray white lithium I used to check the pattern (all I could find) it seemed to be fairly centered between the face & the flank so I went with it
Axle all buttoned up & ready to install
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup006-1.jpg

Got the vehicle side upper control arm brace bracketry finished, painted, and in place for boltup
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup005-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup011.jpg

Installed all the hardware finger tight, welded 2" extensions onto the rear coil posts to gaurd against coil drop out & tested the shocks for proper travel, everything worked out real nice showing max travel with minimum trimming on the axle side LCA brackets but I can see I'm gonna have to order real rear lift springs cause at max flex the spring/spacer combo drops & when it reseats its all discombobulated
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup009-1.jpg

Sitting at ride height everything looks great, got the pinion set perfect with the t-case output at 4 degrees but after looking at the tire to rocker clearance I'm thinking I'll push the pinion down to 2 degrees and do some minor trimming to help fight against pinion climb & rocker contact during high traction induced bushing flex in the rear
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup008-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/4.5REbuildup007-1.jpg

OverkillZJ
09-03-2007, 09:57 PM
What, no more snap-crackle-pop rear axle? ;)

gonecheenin
09-04-2007, 06:23 AM
What, no more snap-crackle-pop rear axle? ;)

Thats the hope, but we'll see :040:

Tripower389
09-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Look'n Good Man !

andrew2516
09-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Does that 35 kit eliminate the c-clips? Looks like a nice setup...we still gotta get out and wheel sometime when I'm back in new ken:068:

gonecheenin
09-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Does that 35 kit eliminate the c-clips? Looks like a nice setup...we still gotta get out and wheel sometime when I'm back in new ken:068:

Nope, just turns the shafts into 30 spline alloy shafts, their actually stronger then D44 shafts (same spline size but the minor diameter is larger)

C-clips aren't really an issue if the shaft doesn't break :smirk:

Yep, no doubt :icon_pidu:

gonecheenin
10-07-2007, 10:03 AM
She is now mobile :twisted:
It turned out pretty sweet and shouldn't have many issues with the cops either since the tires are almost completely under the fenders and the bumper height is really close to legal

Got ALOT of fine tuning to do yet (wheelbase isn't quite right, rear gears are howling, steering is close to binding, track bars need final centered, need to redo rear spacer/springs)
Need to get it aligned & tires rebalanced, do the 231 t-case swap, install the gas tank skid, build the stronger high clearance rear bumper, and get/build skids for the engine, tranny, & t-case.

But it was still damn nice to back it outta the garage, take it for a ride, and gaze at it for a few minutes 8)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/007.jpg

andrew2516
10-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Thats not a bad looking rig...what size tires are you running on that?

gearhead313
10-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Looks good man!

gonecheenin
10-07-2007, 11:39 AM

The tires are 33x12.50 Super Swamper Truxus's on 4"bs 15x8's

andrew2516
10-07-2007, 11:41 AM
That front bumper is high! Youre close to where I'm at right now on measurments.

YZEATER
10-07-2007, 06:17 PM
looks good. i love that front bumper.

gonecheenin
10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I figure its as high as I can get it for approach angle without attracting anymore attention of the Poe-Poe then I have to :003:

looks good. i love that front bumper.

yeah I wasn't sure about it until this version of the rig, now I think it looks mean as helll!!!!! :035:

gonecheenin
10-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Got the time to take some flex pics & see what I needed to do to fine tune the suspension & clearances
Overall the thing puts a huge grin on my face & everything looks pretty sweet except for the front tires are getting way to far up into the wheel wells on compression
As you can see in the one pic I'm firmly up against the inner structure and spring tower ( I think my maximized droop on the opposite side has greatly exagerated the axles angle allowing the tire to travel up further then normal)
I have no issues with trimming some sheet metal but this would require a tube front clip :lol:
Just gotta decide if I wanna do .5", 1", or 1.5" more bumpstop
I got the stuff to do all of those, and I think .5-1" might do the trick for these tires, but with new tread it might be a good idea to go with the 1.5" & deal with it
After all I'm locked front & rear, even if the rig picks a tire chances are its not stopping! :twisted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin004.jpg

Mykal
10-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I bet its nice to take all that hard work out and actually see what it does. Looks good. Im jealous.

gonecheenin
10-16-2007, 10:48 PM
I bet its nice to take all that hard work out and actually see what it does.

Yes it is

My friends like to tell me "but you like working on vehicles" & then look at me like I'm crazy when I reply "No I freakin' don't, but unfourtunately thats the only method I can afford that gets the vehicle to be what I want it to be" :019:

It sucks doing all that wrenching, but its a means to a kickazz end :077:

SirFuego
10-16-2007, 11:22 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin006.jpg

Looking really nice!

My fenders looked like that after paragon in Feb. Those fenders tore up my brand new swampers that weekend. Too bad PA is so strict, or I would just say to chop them up as high as possible.

gonecheenin
10-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Too bad PA is so strict, or I would just say to chop them up as high as possible.

Thats not an issue for PA, as long as the fender covers the tire & has no sharp edges etc their fine with it (only bad part is the trimming will make the Heep look like its lifted even higher which could attract mor attention

My concern is this pic where you can clearly see the tire is hard up against the inner structure & coil spring tower
The only way I can see to fix that is to limit the droop keeping the axle more level during flex which will stop the tire from going as high, or add bumpstop to it to try & keep if from tucking in so far

Even right now the axle is cocked so severly the bumpstops are hitting the edge of the bumpstop extension so I'm not sure what longer stops would even do for the issue

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/4%20inch%20RE%20buildup%20Jul%2007/flexin008.jpg

gonecheenin
11-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Whelp, stupid plastic Pc-O-Crap rear bumper cover pissed me off one too many times already :lol:

I's a Bumper Buildin' Fella's :sawzall:
I got a TONNNNN of work left to do, but here's the basics
I'm shooting for the best departure angle possible, decent obsticle contact strength, retention of mild towing capability, decent hatch protection, and lastly trying to make it come out decent looking
4 pc's of 2" x 1/8 wall box tubing inserts are sandwiching the frame rails with 1/2" grade 8 CAT bolts in the factory locations + 4 more in the rear pinch weld holes (1 on each side of both "frame" rails)
Lower pcs are just attached using 1" OD 1/4 thick washers, upper pc's have a 6" strip of 1/4" steel welded inside the 1/8 wall box tubing with grade 8 locknuts welded to directly to that (no wrench needed 8) )

2" x 1/4 wall box tubing will be the top of the actual rear bumper, it will be straight to both inserts then mildly dovetailed in on the ends
The same tube will wrap around the sides with 4" 1/4 box tube stacked on top to clean up the body lines
There will be a 2" reciever welded as flush as possible directly below the upper tube & tied into the tube inserts at the body line as well
Once thats all finish 1/8 sheet will be bent off the bottom of the assembly and will reach the whole way down to be level with the rear of the factory fuel tank skid (don't want either acting like a dirt shovel if I can help it)
Here's my progress pics so far;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Rearbumperfab002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Rearbumperfab001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Rearbumperfab003.jpg

gonecheenin
11-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Hitch & sides are starting to take shape
The picture I have in my head is working out even better in real life then I hoped it would
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Hitchsides003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Hitchsides002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Hitchsides001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Hitchsides004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Hitchsides005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Hitchsides007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Hitchsides006.jpg

mudforblood
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Noice! That rear bumper should work out perfect. I need to do the same, just need to find the lines like you did. looks good.:004:

gonecheenin
11-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Noice! That rear bumper should work out perfect. I need to do the same, just need to find the lines like you did. looks good.:004:

Thanks, I'm trying to utilize every good ZJ bumper quality I've ever seen

I'm not only bolting into the factory hitch & bumper locations, I'm also tieing into the 6 pinch weld bolt holes that you pointed out on your rear tow point frame work

Nice thing about the rear of a ZJ is since its really light (compared to the front) I don't have to worry anywhere NEAR as much about adding weight as I do while building/finishing the front bumper

Both of these bumpers should be hella strong when their finished :066:

When your ready to build yours, you know where to find your template :025:

SirFuego
11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
That looks sweet! Simple design and gains a bunch of ground clearance over factory. I'm hoping to do something similar. Except I might forgo the quarter panel protection. I guess it all depends how liberal I get with the sawzall...

gonecheenin
11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Except I might forgo the quarter panel protection. I guess it all depends how liberal I get with the sawzall...

LOL

I wasn't real concerned about quarter panel protection/clearance, was just trying to keep it from looking like total azz when it was finished (looks ain't my first priority but I do try to keep it in mind)

SirFuego
11-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah I hear ya. That extra protection in that area is well worth it. My wheelwells are partially rotted out, so I'm trying to determine what is structural and what isn't in the rear. The easiest way to fix rust is to just cut it out...

What are you doing about the tail pipe? Are you going to try to move it up after the bumper is done?

gonecheenin
11-12-2007, 08:51 PM
What are you doing about the tail pipe? Are you going to try to move it up after the bumper is done?

At the very least I'm going to cut i back some, heat it & push it very close to up against the bottom of the bumper & build a "directional" plate (to guide the fumes out away from the body) into the bumper on that side

Best case I'm going to actually build a protective 2/3 round tailpipe tunnel into the bumper on that side

We'll see how it all works out when the main part of the bumper comes together

gonecheenin
11-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Really taking shape, theres no way I'll have it finished, welded, & painted for Murph, but I'm hoping to have the design finished & everything tacked in place by the time I have to take it off Wed night 8)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Rearbumperfab003-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Rearbumperfab002-1.jpg

DodgeMudder
11-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Looks sweet dude. Wanna build me some bumpers for my Dak?

gonecheenin
11-20-2007, 11:56 PM
Wanna build me some bumpers for my Dak?

Heck no, I don't even wanna build this one :042: :042:

YZEATER
11-21-2007, 12:21 AM
knowing you, ya better get that welded on there with more then tacks.

limegreentj
11-21-2007, 12:28 AM
i like it...in other words "freakin sweet" http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb131/limegreentj/main.gif

gonecheenin
11-21-2007, 12:29 AM
knowing you, ya better get that welded on there with more then tacks.

Don't you worry, I'm a chronic over-welder :023:

limegreentj
11-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Don't you worry, I'm a chronic over-welder :023:

lol i am too..i hate it...but yet i love it and i just cant stop

trailerrails
11-21-2007, 09:42 AM
That bumper is looking pretty sweet. Nice work.

Muzikman
11-21-2007, 09:51 AM
Those the $15 each Napa special shocks? :)

SirFuego
11-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Oh really? PM me a price. I should be able to stop by on Thurs or Friday morning if you will be around (I won't be coming today). Just don't throw anything on top of it or run it over with something :icon_fU:

EDIT: Uhhhh nevermind. That was from like over a year ago. My web browser was playing tricks with my mind -- making me think I'm viewing page 6 when it's actually page 1. I hate computers.

gonecheenin
11-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Oh really? PM me a price. I should be able to stop by on Thurs or Friday morning if you will be around (I won't be coming today). Just don't throw anything on top of it or run it over with something :icon_fU:

EDIT: Uhhhh nevermind. That was from like over a year ago. My web browser was playing tricks with my mind -- making me think I'm viewing page 6 when it's actually page 1. I hate computers.

Yeah Umm

I own that, its bolted to the red Heep in question :smirk:

gonecheenin
11-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Those the $15 each Napa special shocks? :)

Yep, thats them

Bargin basement Monroe shocks painted for placement in Napa boxs

I bought them when I still worked at Napa, got em for 9 somethin' each

mudforblood
11-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Bumper looks good man.:icon_pray: That might be the motivation I need to start building one myself. Are you gonna connect the bumper skid into the gas tank skid? Also what ideas you got foe the tailpipe now? chop it off or try and get a custom one made?

gonecheenin
11-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Are you gonna connect the bumper skid into the gas tank skid?

no, just gonna end the bumper skid about an inch from the fuel tank skid & tie the end all together with angle iron for stiffness

If a little dirt still gets by it shouldn't be any big deal

Also what ideas you got foe the tailpipe now? chop it off or try and get a custom one made?

I looked at that for a while & maybe in the future I'll make a different tail pipe but for now I'm just gonna heat it with the torch at the last bend down & push it up within a inch or so of the bottom of the new bumper (later if I still hit it on stuff I may make a gaurd for it, but for now I think just tucking it up tight will be sufficient plus allowing me to easily replace it with another stock V-8 tail pipe during future repairs

gonecheenin
12-02-2007, 02:58 AM
Ready for paint 8)
Only thing that didn't get done is adding the steel mesh to the top "step" cause I didn't have any here at the moment
But it should be easy to add on later even with the bumper installed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Readyforpaint004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Readyforpaint005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Readyforpaint003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Readyforpaint001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Readyforpaint002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Readyforpaint007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/Readyforpaint006.jpg

OverkillZJ
12-02-2007, 02:59 AM
Looks good, I don't want to know what it weighs :D

gonecheenin
12-02-2007, 03:12 AM
I don't want to know what it weighs :D

It isn't featherweight light for sure, but I kinda planned it that way since the hitch AND bumper were now gonna be one unit (whats a hitch weigh, 40lb?) plus the rear of a ZJ is to light anyway (OHHHH, thats right you know that :082: ) so I figured adding a little weight back there wouldn't hurt at all

I'd say its aprox. about 80-90lb, I'm no strong man & I can pick it up & put it on the Heep "fairly" easily by myself

I didn't shy away from the heavier 1/4" material where I needed it, but alot of it is 1/8" steel as well (theres also about 7-8lb of welding rod in it :103: )

Now the front bumper I skimped & went light weight everywhere I could, the last thing a ZJ needs is any extra weight on the nose
I'd say the current front bumper is about 20lb & with the nessecary evil of a winch & all I'm shooting for under 60lb (I'm thinking going to winch rope should get me down where I need to be)

OverkillZJ
12-02-2007, 03:14 AM
LMAO, that weight won't hurt, the ZJ did great with that heavy ass rear bumper I had, and even better when I moved the two batteries to the back... Balanced it out. Then I went and removed all the weight from the back, and flopfest 2007 began:082:

gonecheenin
12-04-2007, 07:26 PM
painted
Didn't take paint perfectly in a couple spots so I'm gonna have to scuff it back up a bit & repaint the top, but overall done
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/painted002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/painted001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/painted004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rear%20Bumper%20fab/painted003.jpg

Also sleeved my tierods & picked up a new tracbar bracket to replace the one I broke at Psycho's
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/painted005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/painted006.jpg

andrew2516
12-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Thats a nice looking bumper...can't wait to see it mounted up. That grand is coming along!

jeepxj3
12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Awesome bumper, but personally I think it would have looked better if you would have used that DupliColor bedliner material on it. Nice work!

Oh and that Trac Bar mount, weld 2 tabs on the bottom of it, and convert it to a WJ bar.

gonecheenin
12-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone, I got a pile of work into it so its real nice to see it coming together

Awesome bumper, but personally I think it would have looked better if you would have used that DupliColor bedliner material on it.

I don't know, I like the shiney paint on em, hides alot of the imperfections in my build

Do plan on using that bedliner stuff (shiney stuff) to replace the cladding on the sides on the Grand though, that should look sweet!

Oh and that Trac Bar mount, weld 2 tabs on the bottom of it, and convert it to a WJ bar.

That wasn't the problem,

I hit a rock hard enough to bend my wheel & instantly lose all the tires air, aparently that hit had enough side deflection crack the trac-bar bracket

The JKS bar moves fine throught my flex range, the tin unibody frame held up fine during the hit, hell even the drilled out single shear grade 8 bolt held up fine

I'll tell you, after breaking the stock bracket like that I don't think I'll be making my stock bracket into anything (Kinda regret buying Kevin's conversion now, but at least thats just on Seismik's street Grand)

I think I'll be buying the complete 1/4" bracket & track bar assembly from RE when I get around to converting it over to horizontal mount

gonecheenin
02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Today I got the winch mount about fabbed up & got the screwed up np242 yanked out so I can put together a 231 to slap in its place
Still gotta finish the bumpers general metal work then pull it off to full weld everything up (need to find some 1.5 x 3 1/8 rectangular tubing first though)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/Winchmount001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/Winchmount002.jpg

gonecheenin
02-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Also finally got my YJ 4 bolt box mounted up (used BIGDaveZJ's carboard template method to drill the 4th hole, worked pretty good) I used all new CAT grade 8 hardware & added a Kevins steering box brace to add rigidity from the other frame rail
If this damn thing goes anywhere now its gonna have to take the whole front frame section with it

The steering is definitely better & more responsive, but its a little "heavier" now then it was with the ZJ box ("heavier" then even my YJ on the same tires for that matter) so I'm hoping thats just because of the rebuilt box needing to break in & the fluid being foamed up a bit from bleeding it all out
Worse case if it doesn't loosen up I'll check the sector shaft gear mesh preload later & see if its too tight or something

OverkillZJ
02-17-2008, 09:12 PM
ZJ steering was always finicky, even when done right... Oh yeah, fix the date on your camera!

YZEATER
02-17-2008, 10:27 PM
very nice.

Leady
02-17-2008, 11:27 PM
damn dude that looks pretty indestructable. I like your bumpers and all the attention to detail is pretty obvious that you want your work to be functional in most situations.

What did you ever do about the stock front springs you had swapped into the back?

And how much did you pay for the Jeep to begin with?

gonecheenin
02-18-2008, 12:34 AM
damn dude that looks pretty indestructable. I like your bumpers and all the attention to detail is pretty obvious that you want your work to be functional in most situations.

This Grand is actually not meant to be anything more than a street wheeler for my girlfriend & I. Something thats extremely capable in the woods on trails that hopefully wouldn't find it bashing its chassis or body into obsticals.

But still civil enough to point down a highway for a few hundred miles & stand/enjoy the drive with full expectations of it getting where you want to go with little drama

Plus everything that has been done to this rig has been designed around the idea of as little modification to the original chassis as possible therefore makeing it easy to swap the modifications (many of them custom) over to a new foundation with little/no fabrication work should the unibody be damaged/stressed to the point of no longer being usable/safe

That criteria of course demands alot of attention to detail, time, and inventive thinking (which often requires trying something different, like the steering issue)

And patience, loads & loads of patience :nod:

What did you ever do about the stock front springs you had swapped into the back?

And how much did you pay for the Jeep to begin with?

Their still there, kinda destroying the spacer blocks but not really a big issue for now since I put the post extensions in the rear

I do plan on replacing them with RE 4.5" rear coils asap, but at $175 a pair and all the more problems I've had with them I've found other things to soak the money first

Paid $500 for it with a smashed front end & a bad fuel pump

Had it all stock running, driving, and inspected for about $1000

gonecheenin
02-18-2008, 12:45 AM
ZJ steering was always finicky, even when done right... Oh yeah, fix the date on your camera!

Yeah I know, even stock they drive kinda vaugely

But I refuse to quit trying until I can relax driving this thing down the road for longer distances

I'm hoping that leveling out the trac-bars (rear reinforced relocation bracket & front JKS OTA bracket), switching the steering linkage over to the inverted T style, and getting enough power assist to turn the tires without hardly any resistance (like the old late 70's/early 80's Chevy trucks steered) will make huge differences

It actually drives pretty good now with all the rigidity I added over the weekend, but the lack of responsive & powerfull steering assist makes it hard to keep a lifted short arm rig following the curves/irregularitys of PA roads

Ehh, the date defaults everytime I recharge the batterys & its tiresome resetting the date all the time

OverkillZJ
02-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Honestly, and I'm sure "My way Isn't the only solution" - but after like 8 years of trying to get my steering working, is about when I went into full out buggy steering mode, and that's the first time it worked to my standards. I know some folks have made it work (Like MoabZJ's rig who I drove and it impressed the hell out of me) which was a well-designed hydro assist, I've finally (right or wrong) decided that you cant' do ZJ steering well without upping the steering pump, and going for hydro assist at the least...

All in all, from what I've seen in a few hundred ZJ based rigs, the ones that accomplisheed what theh really saught out to, always involved "more pressure" regardeless of the other factors.

So if you can get more pressure in your system, take it!

-Matt

Leady
02-18-2008, 04:12 AM
This Grand is actually not meant to be anything more than a street wheeler for my girlfriend & I. Something thats extremely capable in the woods on trails that hopefully wouldn't find it bashing its chassis or body into obsticals.

But still civil enough to point down a highway for a few hundred miles & stand/enjoy the drive with full expectations of it getting where you want to go with little drama

Plus everything that has been done to this rig has been designed around the idea of as little modification to the original chassis as possible therefore makeing it easy to swap the modifications (many of them custom) over to a new foundation with little/no fabrication work should the unibody be damaged/stressed to the point of no longer being usable/safe

That criteria of course demands alot of attention to detail, time, and inventive thinking (which often requires trying something different, like the steering issue)

And patience, loads & loads of patience :nod:

Their still there, kinda destroying the spacer blocks but not really a big issue for now since I put the post extensions in the rear

I do plan on replacing them with RE 4.5" rear coils asap, but at $175 a pair and all the more problems I've had with them I've found other things to soak the money first

Paid $500 for it with a smashed front end & a bad fuel pump

Had it all stock running, driving, and inspected for about $1000

that sounds good. I want to build something thats a lot of the same. I want a capable Jeep for times when I want to go off-road and be able to have fun doing it and not be as limited as a 2 or 3 inch lift. Also able to have as a second vehicle with more room than a pickup truck to take on trips with me and my friends.

I think its cool you made your modifications to be swap-able easily I think thats the best part.

And for 1,000 inspected thats a good deal you got man.

Maybe I'll be talking to you more often if I ever can afford to get my own. :022:

gonecheenin
02-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Honestly, and I'm sure "My way Isn't the only solution" - but after like 8 years of trying to get my steering working, is about when I went into full out buggy steering mode, and that's the first time it worked to my standards. I know some folks have made it work (Like MoabZJ's rig who I drove and it impressed the hell out of me) which was a well-designed hydro assist, I've finally (right or wrong) decided that you cant' do ZJ steering well without upping the steering pump, and going for hydro assist at the least...

All in all, from what I've seen in a few hundred ZJ based rigs, the ones that accomplisheed what theh really saught out to, always involved "more pressure" regardeless of the other factors.

So if you can get more pressure in your system, take it!

-Matt

Thats in my thoughts as well, in fact if that PSC box wasn't having the sector shaft bushing issues I'd probably buy one of those & plump up the hydro assist

If I simply need more assist to turn the tires easier I would have already modified the stock pump's pressure regulator to supply more

But whats got me stopping & thinking is the fact that this YJ box is harder to steer the the original worn out ZJ box was

that leads me to believe the box's internal "hydro cylinder" itself is the problem

Once I fix that, mod the pump, and try replacing/modifying those hard parts, if I'm still not happy with the steering feel I will be looking into adding a 1.5" bore hydro assist cylinder even though you don't really need it on a rig built like this (though it should help split the steering forces acting on the chassis too so that can't hurt)

gonecheenin
02-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :025:
The 93's Ole 242 has the early planetary gear cut which means I can use one of my many early YJ 231's, that are already strewn about my garage in pc's, as my new T-case :twisted:

Anyone know if the 242 uses the same oil pump as the 231? (not sure on using the old pump so I'm thinking the 242's pump might be a better choice judging from the color of the fluid that came out)

Never mind, found it
http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/transfer_case/index.html

mudforblood
02-19-2008, 07:46 AM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :025:
The 93's Ole 242 has the early planetary gear cut which means I can use one of my many early YJ 231's, that are already strewn about my garage in pc's, as my new T-case :twisted:

Anyone know if the 242 uses the same oil pump as the 231? (not sure on using the old pump so I'm thinking the 242's pump might be a better choice judging from the color of the fluid that came out)

Never mind, found it
http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/transfer_case/index.html

The pumps look to be the same from your link. Thats good to know.

You gonna have 4wd that works all the time now?

gonecheenin
02-19-2008, 08:26 AM
You gonna have 4wd that works all the time now?

I hope so :icon_eyes:

Also need to figure out why the tranny doesn't want to upshift when the t-case is in low (1st gear only with 4.56's sucks on a hill climb/muddy terrain). I'm thinking maybe the tranny's output sensor is bad making the tranny ECM default to reading the VSS (which doesn't work well when your going 2.72 times slower then normal :102: )
Hopefully Stull auto can tell me if thats the case simply by plugging the scan tool into the trans & reading any codes it may have.

gonecheenin
02-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Whelp I'm a little high & short 5 cans of brake cleaner
But the 231 parts are all clean & drying for reassembly tomorrow 8)
Ended up using the pump, output shaft support bearing, and input gear with planetary from the 93's 242, a couple like new shift forks & mounting studs from another 231, and the speedogear assembly from the 95's ole 242

Its good having spare parts :lol:

gonecheenin
02-22-2008, 12:24 AM
T-case is all together & ready for installation once the Right-stuff cures & I find a CV style front output yoke so's I can hook my front shaft back up

Can't freakin' believe that someone doesn't have an XJ 231 Front output yoke just laying around :(

andrew2516
02-22-2008, 01:15 AM
T-case is all together & ready for installation once the Right-stuff cures & I find a CV style front output yoke so's I can hook my front shaft back up

Can't freakin' believe that someone doesn't have an XJ 231 Front output yoke just laying around :(

Millers town does:slywink:

That reminds me...I gotta change my front output seal on my 231

gonecheenin
02-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Millers town does:slywink:

May have to go that lowsy route (in this weather) Sat if I don't find another option

YZEATER
02-22-2008, 08:28 AM
take a tarp to lay on, it sucks out there when it's wet.

mudforblood
02-22-2008, 09:24 AM

What happened to the 231 you got from me? It still had the yoke on it.

I could grab one from 4wd tomorrow when I'm there. A little more but you wont have to lay in the slush and it's brandy new.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=354&plID=315&partID=6922

andrew2516
02-22-2008, 09:35 AM
May have to go that lowsy route (in this weather) Sat if I don't find another option

x2...they seem to have the jeeps in the swamp end of the yard also, not to mention I never realized how bad it sucked working on a stock xj/zj.

gonecheenin
02-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks Jeff, I'm gonna try to make a regular 2 joint shaft work with what I have laying around

But if that doesn't work out I may call you to pick that up!

gonecheenin
03-02-2008, 09:07 PM
Got a front yoke for her last sat out of the local scrap yard so thats all fixed up & the 231's working REAL sweet!!!!

Got the winch mount finished today with all the weld nuts & re-enforced tiein points fully welded up (didn't bother to take pics of it painted, you guys should know what black steel looks like by now :lol: )
Once it dries all I gotta do is reinstall the bumper & hook up the power wires 8)
(In case you didn't know already, I'm using a YJ style winch plate for easy mounting/removal)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/winchmount002-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/winchmount001-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/winchmount007.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/winchmount006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/winchmount005.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/winchmount004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/winchmount003.jpg

Also took a pic of the uni-body sandwich plate since I'm not sure I ever posted much about my front bumper work
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Front%20bumper/winchmount008.jpg

Did some more front inner fender trimming to clear the front tires at full stuff (currently running 3" bumpstop extension, with this additional trimming I hope to get away with only adding about a 1/2-3/4" more for absolutely no rubbing issues)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/001.jpg

Fab'd up a raised CB antenna mount to clear the straight style Co-ax connection
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/004.jpg

Figured I'd show off my CB placement too
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/009.jpg

Can you see why I need to build rock sliders :evil:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/010.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/008.jpg

village_idiot
03-02-2008, 09:11 PM
that thing is bad ass man, how dot you like the Truxus?

gonecheenin
03-02-2008, 11:12 PM
that thing is bad ass man, how dot you like the Truxus?

Thanks

The Truxus are OK, especially since mine are pretty low on tread on all but the left front (originally the spare tire)

They do pretty good in the woods especially once aired down, but they ride & balance like crud on the pavement

I know thats a weird thing to be concerned about with a Swamper, but these Truxus are supposed to be their streetable tires & from what I've seen/read along with my own expeirience-Swamper still got alot of work to do

My next set of tires will most likely be the Maxxis Buckshot Mudders, they go really good in the woods for a street radial MT, they balance out pretty well, have a fairly thick sidewall, are decently inexpensive to purchase, and run smooth on the road (and work well in the snow)

Only real drawback I've seen (we've had 4 sets of them) is they wear faster then like a BFG MT would, but the wear is comparable to the Truxus from what I've heard (got mine used on my 92' YJ) so for the cost savings I just chock the increased wear up to getting new tire tread depth more often :023: (Plus my this ZJ isn't a DD, so the tires should wear out from trail abuse before road miles)

ezman
03-03-2008, 08:01 PM
it's coming together nicely man... that looks like it's going to be a pretty balanced rig... good job man...

gonecheenin
09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Whelp, say goodnight to the red Grand
Seismik got rearended in Lower Burrell by some distracted soccer mom in a Chevy Tracker Saturday
(I'll get pics up eventually, though it doesn't really look all that bad on the surface)

Jeep actually came out of it WAY better then the Tracker, the bumper held up great & nicely transmitted the force throughout the entire rear of the jeep
But the hit was hard enough to crush/collapse the uni-body right by the rear coil mounts & pull the roof down in the back far enough to pop the top of the rear doors out

Its definitely still driveable, but will never be inspectable or leak resistant ever again
We figure we'll run it till the inspection is up (Dec 08'), then beat the bloody hell outta it in the woods before tearing it down to build the next one we find for the right price

She was a dang fine machine, & did WAY better on the trails then I ever thought she would;
RIP My friend :dead:

YZEATER
09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
that sucks man. be waiting to see the evolution of another.

Wrecker
09-04-2008, 07:05 AM
How is her neck? Sounds like a solid hit.

SirFuego
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Oh wow! Sorry to hear about that, Jay! Glad that it seems that everyone is OK, though.

Beating the bloody hell out of it should be fun. Hammer down!

gonecheenin
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM
How is her neck? Sounds like a solid hit.

I guess I did forget to mention that she's OK (for me she's been OK for a week now)

The lady hit her hard enough for her cell phone to fly out of her hand (NO she wasn't driving on the phone, she was at a dead stop waiting for someone to turn in front of her & just happened to be checking the phone when she got slammed) & the jeep to get pushed 15-20 feet forward (she would have probably hit the guy in front of her if they hadn't turned just in time)

Her neck's not horrible, but it is bothering her for sure.
She's been being carefull with it & not taking any chances just in case it turns out to be something serious.

andrew2516
09-04-2008, 09:06 AM
That sucks dude...hopefully its nothing major.

You guys have had some terrible luck with these grand's in the past year! Maybe its time for an XJ.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 10:35 AM
That SUCKS!

bigfoot5806
09-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Must have been a bad day for Grands. My wife got the front end of hers taken off yesterday too! Luckily she's not hurt. Lady ran the red light at 981 and 31 in Mt. Pleasant.

Lady got out of here car and said that she didn't even know what color the light was. Was on the cell getting directions cause she had no clue how to get to 119. And this was her 4 th wreck in 2 months.

We were just going to trade it in too! The whole front end is shifted to the left and can't open the hood. Somehow the airbag didn't go off. Hopefully they just total it and we can get a new heep.

Glad to here Katey's not too bad. Kimmie was just shooken up.

gonecheenin
09-04-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, at least on an up note I now know where to find a new engine for my 89' YJ :smirk:

AND none of the custom/aftermarket parts seemed to have been injured at all :077:

dan58
09-04-2008, 05:59 PM
At least the little lady is (mostly) okay.

gonecheenin
09-05-2008, 01:02 AM
At least the little lady is (mostly) okay.

Yep, no doubt

I can fix metal, not so easy to slap together another Seismik :060:

jeepxj3
09-05-2008, 08:37 AM
ZJ bodies are relatively cheap and easy to come by. Hence why I built my XJ like I did, I had all the parts from the old one.

92YJCBG
09-05-2008, 10:29 AM
sorry to hear that, hope everything works out.

Seismik
09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
This is Wacker that hit me. I was sitting there stopped for a while waiting for the guy in front of me to turn left (it was lunch time on a Saturday on a busy road, so we were there for a while...) After hitting me, she got out of her car and asked me "What happened? Did someone stop in front of you?"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/seismik/8-30-08%20accident/Tracker.jpg

Here's the ZJ. Doesn't look as bad as it is. Notice the bumper bent down (it was straight before), it buckled the unibody in front of it. Also notice the top of the rear pass door bent out. The hatch even opened somehow (the latch didn't break, it still closes.....)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/seismik/8-30-08%20accident/ZJ.jpg

But yep, everyone seemed fine, no ambulances. The lady had a 4 year old with her, she was pretty shook up, but was fine. She just kept saying that she was 'sad'. I think I came out of it the worst, and it seems like only pulled and strained muscles.

Also, notice the antifreeze that was gushing from her car and how bad the front end is smashed in. The cop actually asked her if it would run, or if she needed a tow truck. She was actually going to try it too. I stopped her, in case it might actually start, so she wouldn't blow her motor up....

andrew2516
09-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Thats right over by the reach around...

Looks like the zj took the hit better than the tracker....it seems like these unibodys always get totalled out in these rear end hits though.

Wrecker
09-05-2008, 02:38 PM
If it is driven the cop does not have to write a report. That is the lazy way out.

jeepxj3
09-05-2008, 03:51 PM
reminds me of when my red beast passed :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Accident/noname2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Accident/noname4.jpg

I was the only one to drive away from it all :082: All of my doors were functional days later, I guess the body started to bend back to shape.

XJchris98
09-05-2008, 05:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/seismik/8-30-08%20accident/Tracker.jpg

....I wonder if that was my aunt. I know she was in an accident recently and they had a racker. :kyle:

gonecheenin
09-05-2008, 05:21 PM
....I wonder if that was my aunt. I know she was in an accident recently and they had a racker. :kyle:

I believe her first name was Nicole

gonecheenin
09-05-2008, 05:22 PM
ZJ bodies are relatively cheap and easy to come by. Hence why I built my XJ like I did, I had all the parts from the old one.

Yep, thats almost exactly what we have in mind with a few upgrades (Like pre-bashed in rocker protection :036: )

XJchris98
09-05-2008, 06:34 PM
I believe her first name was Nicole

Uhh, okay thats a negative then. Haha thats weird because they have a silver tracker and they have a younger daughter too. I forget how old she is, but she could very well have been 4ish.

Either way, glad to hear shes okay. Jeeps can be replaced, lives cant.

gonecheenin
09-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Pic of her awaiting the adjuster

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Rearended.jpg

DMG
09-06-2008, 02:24 AM
That sucks! I hope the insurance takes care of you.

gonecheenin
01-19-2009, 10:50 PM
got paid then wheeled the heck outta what was left till something fried in the electrical system shutting down the spark/fuel pump

Said the heck with it & parted out what was left

Say goodnight Gracie
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/0116091830.jpg

jeepxj3
01-20-2009, 07:57 PM
goodnight Gracie! :082:

gonecheenin
08-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Whelp, as much as I swore off ZJ's after this one, b4xs made me a sore peter deal on another 93' (4.0 w/aw4) - so looks like I ain't done Mall Crawlin 8)

Not gonna get as crazy on this new one though, still gonna lock it up for max traction, but gonna stick to 31" mudder caps & a F-R swap with spacers up front.

Hopefully she'll stay in one pc a little longer that way (Plus be a little nicer to drive on the highway - ZJ's just take too much work too go to the next level & still be streetable/reliable!)

This baby even got a 231 in it already :twisted:

Needs a bad engine stumble figured out & some interior repairs, but still worth every penny!

Here she is;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/Gonecheenin/Street%20wheeler/Replacement%2093/0816091949.jpg

SirFuego
08-16-2009, 11:14 PM
but gonna stick to 31" mudder caps & a F-R swap with spacers up front.

Uh huh. Sure.

Nice to see you back in the unibody game :)

gonecheenin
08-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Uh huh. Sure.

LOL - You gotta remember, I'm a homeowner now - IE: I have no money to go crazy on things anymore. :043:

93GrandCherokee
08-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Just wondering if you still have all the lift components you stripped off of this thing? I have a 93 5.2 L I'm looking to lift and get 33"s under.

gonecheenin
08-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Only thing I got left is JKS front upper control arms ($100) & the front winch bumper ($250)

33's are little tough to setup right on a ZJ for the trail - but for the street use just install a 3" spacer block up front & a spare set of front ZJ coils in the rear, slap on some longer parts store shocks, trim your front bumper (or install my winch bumper >:) ), and crank your caster bolts to max & you'll be good to go.

jeepxj3
08-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I did catch that right, AW4?

Seismik
08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
They both had AW4's.

Krod
08-13-2010, 06:07 PM
They both had AW4's.

apparently not as rare as I thought! But leave it to J to find 'em if there were any. :082:

Seismik
08-16-2010, 09:29 AM
I didn't think that they were rare, I've got one in the work Jeep as well.... (But then again, I've seen more stick shift ZJs than most, and they're rare as hell.....)