PDA

View Full Version : Tactical / AR .22

jlovbasz3
01-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I plan on buying a tactical/AR style .22 in a few weeks and wanted some input. The two I've been looking at are the Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22 and the Chiappa M4-22. I also looked into the Mossberg tactical 22 but didn't care for it.

97V10MN
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
A friend of mine had the MP, that thing was awesome, I dont believe it ever jammed on us, we put over 1500 rounds through it the first day we had it out and never had a problem. He also added a scope to it, he could shoot 250 yards and still nail the bulls eye with that little thing. He also set it up with a red dot scope and IIRC a flash light, he gets bored easily haha. http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/196328_10150134420983188_784093187_6419578_6061495 _n.jpgI would love to buy one but I already have a 22 mag rifle so I have no use for it.

jlovbasz3
01-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Thats good to know you guys didn't have any problems with it. Some of the research I did on the Smith people were having issues with it jamming and they had to send it back. But my Smith 22A is finicky it only likes CCI ammo. Did he add the flash hider as well? All the ones I've seen didn't have it.

97V10MN
01-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I think it had the flash hider on it when he bought it, i'm not sure tho.

CESCO
01-04-2012, 09:33 AM
I have the Ruger 10/22 tactical, I already had a bunch of 30 and 50 round clips that would fit it. I really like it, except for the trigger pull. Which all of the rugers seem to have that problem

JeepSteeler
01-05-2012, 12:50 PM
I have the S&W M&P 15-22 A1 model (has the flash suppressor). Good grief that thing is fun as hell to shoot. I added a cheap foregrip handle with spring loaded bi-pod, and a tactical single point sling. Got a few extra mags. It shoots very reliably and is pretty accurate out of the box with the peep style sight (has 2 sizes of rear peep, flip back and forth). Haven't put any optics on it yet.

I've had a few FTF's with Winchester ammo. That's about it. I have nothing bad to say about the gun at all. I paid about $430 from Sportsmans Supply in Butler.

Everyone who has shot mine has a sh*t eating grin on their face afterwards and wants to go buy one.

HoodRN
01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I have the Ruger 10/22 tactical, I already had a bunch of 30 and 50 round clips that would fit it. I really like it, except for the trigger pull. Which all of the rugers seem to have that problem

You can get some nice drop-in trigger units for the 10/22. I got one from E. Arthur Brown Co. (www.eabco.com). Easy to install, very nice trigger.

HoodRN
01-05-2012, 04:10 PM
I have the S&W M&P 15-22 A1 model (has the flash suppressor). Good grief that thing is fun as hell to shoot. I added a cheap foregrip handle with spring loaded bi-pod, and a tactical single point sling. Got a few extra mags. It shoots very reliably and is pretty accurate out of the box with the peep style sight (has 2 sizes of rear peep, flip back and forth). Haven't put any optics on it yet.

I've had a few FTF's with Winchester ammo. That's about it. I have nothing bad to say about the gun at all. I paid about $430 from Sportsmans Supply in Butler.

Everyone who has shot mine has a sh*t eating grin on their face afterwards and wants to go buy one.

I have a GSG-5 that I bought during a sale at Dunham's a few years back. It looks like an MP-5 and is a blast to shoot, sort of like the M4-type .22s. Nobody wants to put it down.

jlovbasz3
01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
I looked at the Ruger and really like it but I was interested in the AR style mainly to get my son familiar with the AR platform. I'm still on the fence between the Smith and the Chiappa the more people I talk to that actually own the Smith have nothing but good things to say about it on the same hand I've heard nothing but good things about the Chiappa. I'm leaning more toward the Chiappa only because it comes with two mags and the price is a little lower and the stock and foregrip and be changed for any AR style stock and foregrip and I like the look of it. The best price I found for the Smith is $404 at Hoovers and $380 for the Chiappa at ISM weapons systems.

The_War_Wagon
01-05-2012, 08:51 PM
A .22LR trainer is an excellent idea, but I wanted one as CLOSE to the real deal as possible, which meant, going the dedicated route.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_7975.jpg

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_7977.jpg

I already had the complete Aero Precision lower (with a full hammer - .22 AR's do NOT like notched hammers, FYI!!!) with ACE ARF-X stock, so when I built this one, I settled on the Tactical Solutions M4-style profile upper (I would also give serious consideration to the Nordic Systems upper today), I didn't care for the front sight post, so I knocked it off (NO gas block on a .22, obviously). In fact, the one piece that AIN'T real AR, is that ARMS 41-B Shilouette folding front sight post - it's actually Airsoft! :103: This was the ONE place where I thought you could legitimately cut a corner, since the .22 doesn't use a gas block.

Black Dog Machine mags are da' shizzle when it comes to full capacity .22. If your upper WON'T take 'em, consider a DIFFERENT upper/rifle. It's a TRAINER, so you don't need a ton o' mags - I have 4 for mine. They are a biotch to load after about the 12th round though.

Otherwise, my setup sports;

- Ergo grip
- Tactical Solutions 2 pt. sling & rail mount
- Magpul AVG & rear BUIS
- Vltor CK mount and PentagonLight X2-BK
- DD 12.0 Omega-X FSP rails
- Aimpoint Comp M (the first model - has about 12 hours battery life :oops:, so it's fine for THIS application) in the QRP co-witness mount.

Needless to say, it makes it quite comparable to my 5.56 CQB rifles, and - at reasonable .22 ranges - is good for breath & trigger control pratice, in addition to marksmanship. The dedicated .22LR barrel is more practical in that regards, rather than having a .22 round come bouncing out of a .223/5.56 barrel.

And FINALLY, the advantage of the dedicated route is, if you ever NEED another REAL lower - then VOILA! You GOT one. :066:

joshs1ofakindxj
01-06-2012, 12:45 AM
:103:

JeepSteeler
01-06-2012, 10:21 AM
I looked at the Ruger and really like it but I was interested in the AR style mainly to get my son familiar with the AR platform. I'm still on the fence between the Smith and the Chiappa the more people I talk to that actually own the Smith have nothing but good things to say about it on the same hand I've heard nothing but good things about the Chiappa. I'm leaning more toward the Chiappa only because it comes with two mags and the price is a little lower and the stock and foregrip and be changed for any AR style stock and foregrip and I like the look of it. The best price I found for the Smith is $404 at Hoovers and $380 for the Chiappa at ISM weapons systems.

I like the Ruger too, mainly because there are so many accessories and stuff. The 15-22 I have has the adjustable stock, and there is also a MAGPUL edition with more adjustable goodies. It comes with a quad rail front guard. There is just so much you can do with those things it's hard to decide what to add on! I got extra mags from Midway USA on sale for I think like $16 or so. Usually not much more than that. The S&W Forum has a whole section on the 15-22 and all kinds of mods and stuff people have done: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/

Too bad we don't live anywhere near each other or I'd say lets get together and you can shoot mine. I just got an ammo can of 2100 rounds from Cabala's last week.....

I'm guessing that either one would be a good choice. The objective for me is mostly fun, with a little bit of training thrown in there. Definitely hits the fun factor....

CESCO
01-06-2012, 12:27 PM
You can get some nice drop-in trigger units for the 10/22. I got one from E. Arthur Brown Co. (www.eabco.com (http://www.eabco.com)). Easy to install, very nice trigger.

thanks for the info!!

jlovbasz3
02-17-2012, 08:24 PM
I picked up the Smith and Wesson M&P 15/22 today. Man is it fun to shoot.

JeepSteeler
02-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Nice!! Welcome to the club. Which version did you get? the A1 with compensator?

I picked up a soft gun case for mine, digital camo, with 5 or 6 mag pouches on the side, from Midway USA for like $20. Made by Winchester (or at least has "Winchester" written on it). I think I got the 42" version but I think you can get a 46" too. Either way with the sliding stock it fits fine. Throw 2 or 3 extra mags on your order too. Loading is a bit of a PITA, make sure when you load the mag the bullets are staggering correctly. Not hard but sometimes I forget to pay attention and they won't stagger right.

Let me know if you put any optics on it. I still have just the iron sights and haven't decided if i want just a cheap 1X holo or a scope or a red dot...I already have a couple deer scopes laying around but it just doesn't really feel "right" to put one on.

Stay away from the Winchester 555 boxes of ammo (38g hollow points) - FTF's are common. It eats everything else, although the shop owner told me he didn't like Remington in his but I haven't tried it. I stick mostly with Federal/CCI and no problems. Just make sure the ammo is over 1200 FPS - even more the better.

Get ammo, lots of it. And enjoy! Mine is my favorite fun gun for sure, gonna run a few hundred through it tomorrow. Of course you gotta shoot from the hip Rambo style a couple times, I think that's in the manual. :)

jlovbasz3
02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I got the A1 version. I put a BSA 1-3 tactical red dot scope, front pistol grip, and a laser on it.
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/jlovasz3/IMAG0119.jpg

jason8301
02-23-2012, 04:56 AM
I got the mossberg, which is there 702 plinkster action in an ar-15 plastic molded case. Great gun for the price, $275. 25 rd mag, quad rail, carry handle, can't find a cheaper, well built for the price gun. Now if your a real big ar guy, it may be to cheap looking or un-realistic, but I love it!

jlovbasz3
02-23-2012, 10:32 PM
I looked into the Mossberg seemed like a good gun for the money. The only thing I didn't care for was (from what I was told) you have to split the case to properly clean the gun. And I figured as much as I shoot and clean my guns the plastic holes would strip out.

jason8301
02-23-2012, 11:41 PM
yea, i haven't cleaned mine yet but i've also hear there are some 18 odd screws to remove to take it apart, but as someone else also told me if you want snap pins (or something along those lines of an easy way to take a gun apart), pay more money, you get what you pay for, the big name ar clones are nicer, but i like the cheap stuff! I'm a jew, what can i say? lol

jlovbasz3
02-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Lol I can't say much I'm cheap too!

JeepSteeler
02-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Both guns above = fun on the cheap. Win-Win! How you liking that BSA scope jlovbasz3?

jlovbasz3
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I like it a lot. I've had a few BSA scopes and all performed well. Now these were on small caliber guns 17hmr, 22lr, and 9mm carbine. I don't know how well they would be on anything larger? But for the small calibers I'll stick with BSA prices are fair they hold zero and are very clear. The one that's on the AR is the stealth tactical series model # STSRD3X

JeepSteeler
02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the info man - I'm gonna pick one up.

DixieJeeper
03-01-2012, 11:25 PM
Looking for a long gun- to round out my current begining collection- .40 glock and 12 ga. 810... looking at AR15s but the cheapeast I could find the real deal was 690.00 thinking of perhaps a smaller cal. clone?

Looks like the mossberg has a .22 if I read that right for about 275?

jlovbasz3
03-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Yep Mossberg has a tactical .22 the MSRP is about $290. Just a little update on mine I added a JP Enterprise reduced power trigger spring kit and polished the trigger. The stock trigger wasn't bad I just wanted a lighter pull.

RalphXJ
01-17-2013, 02:45 PM
I have been thinking about getting one of these for awhile now, are they selling as fast as their big brothers are, or are they easier to find? I've been to busy to stop at the gun shop.

justin'sbig7
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
theyre not as hard to find, but definitely moving as well. i have not seen a price increase on them though like the real ARs

JeepSteeler
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
The mags are hard to find. Or at least they were when i went looking a couple weeks back for my 15-22. 10 round mags were generally in stock, but the 25 and 32 round mags were on backorder or just out. As for the guns themselves, they are moving like Justin said but I've seen them in stock at a couple of the gun shops locally (Sportsmans Supply in Butler and Big Buck in Wexford). Chances of picking one up are pretty good and I"m not seeing any real price gouging.

RalphXJ
01-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Awesome!! I will try the gun shop if I get a chance this weekend, if not the gun show next weekend will hopefully have something.

jeepnick
01-17-2013, 03:56 PM
If you watch slick guns I saw a few s&w 15-22's pop up from day to day
Iron city armory in bridgeville had a few last week I may stop on my way home and will post up if they are still around

The_War_Wagon
01-18-2013, 11:12 PM
I've been to Anthony Arms twice this week. Save for a piston 5.56 upper, .22 AR's is ALL they have left! :paranoid: