PDA

View Full Version : VA trip and clay shooting

DixieJeeper
01-10-2012, 03:27 PM
On my recent trip to VA this past weekend took the time to take the new 870 out and went trap shooting some of those pesky clay birds with some buddies.

Shot (2) 100 round courses... my freaking shoulder is still tender from Sunday!

What size choke does everyone run when they go clay shooting? I am running a modified choke and wondering if full or skeet would be better.

Thumper144
01-21-2012, 01:28 PM
TJ....Unfortunately the choke is probably not the problem :). I have shot several times at some courses and wondered what the heck was wrong with my gun. I even wondered if someone had jokingly taken out all my BB shot. :082:
Years later I had met a guy who was a certified skeet instructor(I dont even know if there is a such thing). Anyway he had me shoot a couple of patterns with 2 of my shotguns I had brought along. My mossberg shot 13 bb's at 20 yrds and my franchi shot 17. I thought "these guns need new choke tubes". He asked if i minded if he shoot my guns. I said, "no go right ahead". He shot from the exact same spot as me and there were so many bb's on the paper that it was not worth counting. He did it twice, once with each gun.
He went on to teach me the basics of holding your gun and swinging it up from a relaxed stance. Long story short, my shooting has improved a great deal, but as with anything the amount of quality time you devote to it will help you get better. Very few out there are good without practice.
My advice to you would be to go to a local clays course and talk to the guys. See if they would be interested in helping you. Some frown upon anything other than double bbl's, some like semi's, most prefer not to use pumps, and definately dont bring a tactical or home defense gun there(especially with short sawed off bbl's). I have heard some courses dont allow them. I would bet that someone will be very helpful and will give you a good deal of sound advice.
One time I went out and guys were very willing to give advice, as i was willing to listen and try to apply. Then the shooting started and they were all handing over their guns for me to shoot, several of which were priced more than the car I drove there.
Have fun.

DixieJeeper
01-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the tips.. I am not a novice shooter but also not a great amateruer either. When I was shoot it shot my buddies Maxus Browning 12 ga. and I hit every clay everytime, every station when I used his. Likewise when he shot my 870 he missed 1/4 of all the targets. We were using the same ammo so I came to the conclusion that:

1) I have a 26" barrel and his was a 28"- the longer barrel is traditionally better for water fowl and clay shooting.. so I know some of difference was there.

2) He was running a full choke I was running a modfied.. both a "Rated for skeet and fowl" but I am wondering the larger spread pattern from a different choke is a larger part of the issue.

justin'sbig7
01-21-2012, 02:25 PM
were you shooting trap or skeet? typically the chokes and mechanics are different between the two. trap goes out from in front travelling away, and you typically start from a shouldered sighted position (as opposed to a high port arms to shouldered to bang) and skeet is more from the side crossing your station at an across your plane trajectory. (never did skeet just going from what the old timer trap guys i shot with told me) for trap i always shot a full or modified. for sporting clays i was always told to use a skeet or cylinder choke.

the guns are set different as well. a true trap gun will pattern slightly higher than the bead. thus when you sight you dont cover the bird with the bead, you put the bead under the bird. sporting shotguns tend to pattern where the bead is set directly. The important thing with shotguns is fit, and there is sooooo many variables to play with. cast off, drop, length, etc. Best bet is to shoot a few and find wich ones fit you the best, since it has to be a quick smooth movement to shoulder, you may shoot a few different brands better than others. I cant shoot a ruger redlabel, stoeger condor, or winchester 101 to save my life but remmington 870, 1100, and browning superposed i can hit like crazy with. barrel length has had little to do in my experiences other than longer the barrel the higher the velocity of the shot at longer ranges.

DixieJeeper
01-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks justin...It was actually mix all clays and mostly "trap" but a few stations were skeet style from side to side and a few "rabbit" stations with the clays bouncing around on their side running across and also away from you. I think I will try the full choke

I was just so amazed at how well I hit with the maxus vs. my 870 then again the maxus is like 1,400 and my 870 is 380.00 lol. :)

Thumper144
01-22-2012, 01:47 PM
When you spoke of the price of the guns and how well they shot, it reminded me of a friend of mine who was shooting very well(as an amatuer) with his double barrell Remington spartan. He then saw a Browning Cynergy online an fell in love with it. Sold his Remington, purchased the Browning and went out shooting. He was no where near the shot with the browning. He continued to practice and practice with the browning...and did not come close to what he was shooting with the spartan. After a year and a half he sold the browning and bought a spartan again.
As the previous poster descirbed and I'm sure you already know, gun fit is huge. Drop me a pm sometime if you would like to shoot somewhere. There is a pretty nice place called castlewood not too far away. I'm an expert(at missing)but I still have a ton of fun.

Thumper144
01-22-2012, 01:48 PM
justin, youre invited too. Hey wouldnt be a bad meet n greet.

DixieJeeper
01-22-2012, 03:25 PM
sounds like a plan... I will bring the comedic relief .. I don't hit much with the 12 ga... maybe 1/4 to 1/2 the targets but have fun.

ridgerunner97
01-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Thanks justin...It was actually mix all clays and mostly "trap" but a few stations were skeet style from side to side and a few "rabbit" stations with the clays bouncing around on their side running across and also away from you. I think I will try the full choke

I was just so amazed at how well I hit with the maxus vs. my 870 then again the maxus is like 1,400 and my 870 is 380.00 lol. :)

More than likely you were shooting 5 stand sporting clays it sounds like. Did you rotate 5 stations taking 5 shots at each station for 25 rds fired per round? I absolutely love that and its by far the most challenging shotgun shooting you'll probably do. I normally shoot a modified or full choke in my shotguns unless i'm hunting grouse in HEAVY cover then i'll probably use an improved cyl or modified. If your shoulder hurts your not mounting the gun properly either. There are lots of subtle mechanics to work on that will help you. I seriously spent 20min with an old timer at the local 5 stand night and he had me hitting alot better. That was about 6-7yrs ago and i've been getting better and better. Not a pro but no slouch with a shotgun, i've made several guys with expensive shotguns look like douchebags with my 835 pump and Ithaca 37 haha

DixieJeeper
01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
My shoulder didn't hurt from poor mechanics- it was just repeative motion- much like when your thumb hurts from pushing rounds into magazines at the range for hours on end.

We shot (2) "100" round courses- 2 shots/targets with varying deployments trap and skeet style- some going away from you, some going across your point of view, and some bouncing across the ground, a few stations launched from 25 ft towers in the tree line.

I certainly could use more range time with the 12 ga. I am a proficent non-pro shooter with professional training in shooting from the academy.

A common misconception is the police academy makes all cops pro top shots- not the case just makes you a good shooter and more situationaly aware. They spend less time with the 12 ga. in comparision to your side arm- (14) 8 hour days at the range with your side arm compared to 1 or (2) days with the 12 ga. But I have pretty good grasp on stance and basic mechanics (I think)

So I think more time with my shooting partners could lend a better proficeny as they are accomplished fowl hunters...but in the end its for the fun of the sport and somone has to come in last :) But I could use some range time with some jeepin buddies up here would be nice too.

justin'sbig7
01-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Is that castlewood up in new castle?

Thumper144
01-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Yes Castlewood in New Castle..or close to I guess, been many years since I been there. And as for comedic relief, I may be the one providing it.

joshs1ofakindxj
01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
i've made several guys with expensive shotguns look like douchebags with my 835 pump and Ithaca 37 haha

Woah, woah, I hope you don't think you ever spanked me!

Is it time to shoot clays at my house again yet?

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5373_260227520342_755350342_8467799_5880653_n.jpg

I shoot clays with a nice Benelli auto-loader, and I know it gives me a one-up on other guns because it has such little recoil. I can make follow up shots really quick. That doesn't help much in trap but for regulation skeet it's helpful. I also practice enough some days to melt my barrel.

I think the last time I pulled the clay thrower trailer out Jon and I shot 250 rounds a piece or something haha.

ridgerunner97
01-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Haha you know I wasn't talking about you. I've seen you do things with that autoloader as far as target acquisition and rate of fire that is downright impressive. We did shoot AT LEAST 250 a piece last time when we doing that again? Johnson's has Rio's on for around $58-ish bucks a case of 250rds.

Mykal
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Ive still got a case... or whats left of a case that Jon dropped. Ill donate it to the cause.

ridgerunner97
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
^ I didn't drop it, the old road down to Beaverhole broke them don't ya know :)

DixieJeeper
01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Woah, woah, I hope you don't think you ever spanked me!

Is it time to shoot clays at my house again yet?

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5373_260227520342_755350342_8467799_5880653_n.jpg

I shoot clays with a nice Benelli auto-loader, and I know it gives me a one-up on other guns because it has such little recoil. I can make follow up shots really quick. That doesn't help much in trap but for regulation skeet it's helpful. I also practice enough some days to melt my barrel.

I think the last time I pulled the clay thrower trailer out Jon and I shot 250 rounds a piece or something haha.

Holy shit! You are a serious shooter!

joshs1ofakindxj
01-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Holy shit! You are a serious shooter!

It's not mine. It belongs to that really awesome neighbor I have...

ridgerunner97
01-24-2012, 10:40 PM
^ Don't lie, you'd own a setup like that if you didn't have access to his LOL

DixieJeeper
01-25-2012, 12:14 AM
That picture is one big WIN

Thumper144
01-25-2012, 07:26 PM
If any or all of you want to get together and shoot, let me know. Again, I'm no expert, but it is a bunch of fun. Work is slow now, but should be picking up for me real soon.