PDA

View Full Version : Trailer winches

DixieJeeper
01-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Going to be adding a a winch to my rebuilt 18' trailer.

Trying to decide to mount a 2" reciever and use my spare multimount winch and get like a smaller 6K

Or go a utility winch mounted to the deck of the trailer like a 1.7K or 3.2K winch. certainly might need to help these out a bit. Just wonder what everyone is running on their trailer.

justin'sbig7
01-12-2012, 02:13 AM
Mounting the 2" reciever and using a multi mount lets you keep the winch in out of the weather, and also away from goons who may try to snag it.

DixieJeeper
01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
that is what I was thinking Justin. I could also save my storage tongue box for spares and straps not a winch AND battery.

I was just going to plate the underside of the floor of the trailer and tie it in with some angle iron to structure to allow me to mount the discarded XJ reciever, then mount a battery box in one of the compartments of the tongue box.

Using the multimount would also let me put the "trailer" winch on the TRD or Tahoe if I ever needed to. Now I just got to find a used decent winch.

oros35
01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
I have a warn 6K winch on my trailer. It is the one that came with the 2" reciever hitch and cables in one package, picked it up new but about 50% off closeout on pervious years model. It's a short drum winch. Works perfect. I built a battery box under the deck with remote terminals for charging it. It is also tied into the trailer harness (with a switch) so the truck will charge it when it's hooked up. I'm running one of the Odyessey (only sears version) batteries. Has outstanding power. And if it is too heavy I cary a snach block. I've slid 4Klb tractors up on the deck before that were locked up solid.

I welded some 2" square tube to the front C channel with some gussetts. (my trailer is gooskneck though)

Reciever mount is the way to go. I keep mine in the garage until I need it. Then just plug it in and go. And it's out of the way when you don't need it.

SirFuego
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
The previous owner of my trailer welded in a receiver on the tongue and used that to mount a winch (he used to buy and part out/scrap cars). He also had a receiver on the front of his truck and Jeep so the winch could be used by any of them.

I'd definitely do a receiver-style mount. I've seen first hand what the weather can do to a winch, so it'll allow you to keep the winch out of the elements and of course protect it against thieves. I'd probably also spend the coin on synthetic rope just because it makes it so much lighter, which is nice when you are carrying it. Not a necessity, but nice to have.

If you are careful with where you mount it, you can also probably fab up a mount for a vice that uses the receiver as well, which can be handy if you need to work on your Jeep back at camp with it on the trailer out of the mud/grass. IIRC, OverkillZJ put a 2" receiver on the back of his trailer for that exact reason.

DixieJeeper
01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
yea I have been saveing some heavy gauge steel to make vice for a reciever. I think that is the way to go. I need to find a used winch before I start fabbing it up. Kind of think of it I need some winch bags for the warn's on the TJ and XJ too to protect them.

97V10MN
01-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I would agree with the idea to make the winch removable to keep it out of the weather and to keep it safe from thieves. Instead of looking for used winches you could get a smitty built 8k for 300 bucks from 4wd hardware, I think its only 50 bucks more for a lifetime warrenty, at least that was what it was when I got mine. That way you have more then enought winch to pull your junk onto the trailer and you're not taking a gamble on a used winch, I would like to do that if/when I get a trailer come spring.

RalphDogg
01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
i just bought the 6k HF winch, I have not used it but it is heavy which makes me assume it's worth the money. I cannot wait to test it out.

DixieJeeper
01-12-2012, 11:29 PM
I am keeping my eyes peeled for another series of Warn rebates or something rebuildable or to cheap to refuse.

I bought my 12K Warn on sale from Morris for the price of an 8K when you added in the $100 rebate from Warn.

When I got my 8K for the TJ I paid 380- something from 4wd and it had a 50 Warn rebate.

highlandercj-7
01-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Put this on the Jeep and use it's winch on the trailer?
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/2797077097.html

DixieJeeper
01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
thanks- I emailed that guy last night as soon as it popped up.. and just emailed him again... no reply back yet.

DMG
01-14-2012, 12:11 AM
I use a warn XD9000i on a reciever multimount for my trailer. I used forklift-type battery connections and keep a couple batteries charged up for it. We have used it chained to trees and I beams to move a variety of stuff. It is remarkably useful.

DixieJeeper
01-14-2012, 12:34 AM
thanks- I emailed that guy last night as soon as it popped up.. and just emailed him again... no reply back yet.

heard back I am the 2nd emailer.. waiting on the first one not to respond then its mine.

justin'sbig7
01-14-2012, 08:24 AM
keeping fingers crossed for ya!

I got an xd9000i off of craigslist a while back for $300 it was mounted to a bronco and never used.... just weathered and ugly

chux72vette
01-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Just an idea I did on my car trailer Dixie, I bought one of the bigger USA Ammo boxes and mounted the winch and lid down on the trailer front and then when not in use, just put the "bottom" back down on it to protect it. Never got wet or stolen. Don't have any pics but it all cleared great. Winch was an 8K Warn BTW.

DixieJeeper
01-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks justin. good idea chux-

DixieJeeper
01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Supposedly picking it tomorrow. We will see if it happens- 1 year old used twice according to the owner.

DixieJeeper
01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Supposedly picking it tomorrow. We will see if it happens- 1 year old used twice according to the owner.

Got it... 9Ksuperwinch, roller fairlead, remote, HD mounting plate, 1 year old, more weathered than anything.

DixieJeeper
02-18-2012, 11:11 PM
So now with some time on my hands only working in the evenings.. looking at fabbing up my winch mount before bigdogs offroad. I am going to reuse the 2" hitch off the XJ as it is about perfect to mount
upside down on the floor of the trailer to be able to use it as a mounting point for the multimount. I am thinking that mock up the hitch, drill the holes for the hitch through the deck, then get some 2" angle iron and weld it parelled with the deck and perpindicular to the frame cross supports, then drill through the angle iron to attach some large diameter grade 8s through each of the 3 holes in the hitch on each side. What do you think?

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/ScottTurboTJ/PGH Offroad uploads/trailer1.jpg http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/ScottTurboTJ/PGH Offroad uploads/trailer4.jpg

Here are some pictures ^^^ of when I dragged it home and before I reconditioned it. Similar to the image below I found on the net except not with just one bolt on each side lol;

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i375/ScottTurboTJ/PGH Offroad uploads/DblHitch.jpg

ridgerunner97
02-18-2012, 11:28 PM
I think mounting the receiver hitch like that will be PLENTY stout and should work very well with minimum fabrication effort. I like it.

DixieJeeper
02-18-2012, 11:30 PM
I was thinking the angle iron should be penty stout just wanted to bounce it off of ya'll.