PDA

View Full Version : Forge Build and Some Smith Work

condortaco01
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Well judging by the interest in my wanted ad I figured I'd start a separate thread. I got introduced to smithing/knife making by a friend of mine who has his own shop. I work in the lab at a steel mill so he would get me to test different metals for chemical composition so he could get the correct temper cycle. Well, I started to get interested when he showed me the knives he makes. They are absolutely beautiful, check out his work @ http://www.birdogforge.com/. Bruce's work is amazing and to watch him start with a chunk of metal and end with a masterpiece is pretty cool. He's been at this for years and his craftsmanship reflects that experience. Now me, on the other hand, I'm just starting out. Bruce helped me design and build my forge last fall. So far I've been pounding out decorative hooks, and basic knives and what-not. To everyone that responded to my ad, thank-you for the interest but I'm not skilled enough yet to do machetes, serrated edges, or any those advanced designs that you see in the stores. When I get home I'll get some pics of the stuff I make. I can also get some pics of my forge and do a write-up of the build. Thanks for the interest and if you've got any questions feel free to ask.