PDA

View Full Version : Places I would like to wheel in 2005

Bill
01-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Over dinner the other night Matt and I discussed some of the places we would like to offroading in 2005. With Spring and Summer quickly approaching we talked about some of the places we would like to see some trail rides. Some of the rides discussed were local, some of them were overnighters (or over the weekend) that added on a little camping excursion as well.

The list is short, and just in the beginning stages, but I thought I would toss it out there to get some input from everyone else on that others thought about it. Please feel free to add any constructive comments you may have.

1. Paragon - This trip would obviously have to be a weekend sort of thing. I personally I have never been wheelin' in Paragon and the time is come to change that.

2. George Washington National Forest (GWNF) - A few of us went there a while back and had a blast. Again, this is another weekend event. It is about a 4 hour drive from Pittsburgh and is pretty much suitable for a stock vehicle as far as the offroading is concerned. There are a few decent challenges there for more extreme offroading, but everything has an easy by-pass.

3. Ligoneer - I saw the photos from the Xterra ride that Dana (Powerguy) went on and it looks like somewhere (fairly close too) that I wouldn't mind checking out.

4. Wellsville (4WD Hardware Meet & Greet) - I have looked at a ton of pictures from this annual event, and heard even more fantastic stories about it. I would love to make it out there for this event this Summer.

5. Creek Falls - I once again have never been there, but it is local and worth checking out.

Matt and I did discuss heading out west to hit up Moab this Summer as well. My schedule is still too unstable to plan that trip just yet for 2005, but if I don't make it out for 2005 I will surely make it there for 2006.

Please, anyone with any additional ideas feel free to throw them up here. I am sure there will also be plenty of Meet & Greets and social gathering as well.

-Bill

Powerguy37
01-08-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey Bill,

Creek Falls is a good place to play in the mud.

Ligonier has a lot of trails. I've just scratched the surface down there. There's stuff you need lockers and 35's minimun to even try. I'll be going down there several more times this year.

Bill
01-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey Bill,

Creek Falls is a good place to play in the mud.

Ligonier has a lot of trails. I've just scratched the service down there. There's stuff you need lockers and 35's minimun to even try. I'll be going down there several more times this year.

Dana, give me some advance notice and I am normally free on Saturdays... I would love to head down there and do some exploring.

Happycamper
01-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Is Creek Falls an absolute mud fest? I have an oppurtunity to go there this weekend but I don't want to be in mud all day long. Any rocks or other decent trails out there? I understand there is going to be mud everywhere but I just don't like playing in mud anymore. :roll: Every once in a while, but it just kills all of your joints and other vital componants.

JeepGeneral
01-08-2005, 08:48 PM
How about Rausch Creek? I haven't seen many pictures of it but I've read some stuff, we could maybe do a weekend. I think it is about an hour west of Paragon.

King
01-08-2005, 08:48 PM
yups there is rock trails but 33s and dual lockers or 35s and at least 1 locker itll take ya to even try em if not everything else will be very muddy, and be very careful crossing the crick when it is high and current is flowing me seen an old cj go floating away with the current about 6 years ago after a flood 8O

Powerguy37
01-08-2005, 10:03 PM
Rausch Creek is about 4 hours from Greensburg. It worth the trip. here's few photos from last years ECXC. Most of these are from the green trails cause I was leading a couple of those runs.

http://www.westpaxterraclub.com/ECXC04/index.htm

Happycamper
01-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Those are some really nice X-Terra pics! My sister and her husband just picked up an 04. What kind of mods do the they need beside a lift and tires to become really trail worthy? I know they are a very capable stock vehicle.

TimMichaels
01-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Some stock crap I plan on hitting for the first time or exploring more:

Bidwell - An unknown area of Ohiopyle. Two trails that are legal and some side ones that I'm not sure about. Haven't checked out all of it myself yet. From what I've seen not much even needs 4WD but there is the biggest mudhole I've ever seen and some other fun stuff.

Dunbar - Already mentioned this on the Trail Rides forum.

Webster - Near Donora. No idea of the legality of this place. Never been there either, but I've heard it can be fun. I'll check into it first.

Creek Falls - Not even trying it again till I get a lift. I hang out at the falls quite a few times over the summer...

Stuff that will require overnight planning:

Keyser WV - I found some minor info about this area. There's a couple trails, nothing terribly hard. Apparently one of the trails goes back to an old plane crash and another goes to the site of an old tower.

Bald Eagle State Forest - Smack dab in the middle of the state. Apparently pretty muddy after a decent rain and has quite a few miles of trails.

Pine Barrens - Supposedly has trails of all kinds and really scenic. I'm sure you guys have heard of it if not been there. Same forest as the Jersey Devil legend...

Assateque Island (sp?) - Beach wheeling in Ocean City. Givin it a shot during my senior trip :D

In addition to some of the famous spots; Wellsville, Paragon, Raush Creek blah blah blah probably will make it to like 2 or 3 of any of the above :oops:

OverkillZJ
01-09-2005, 02:31 AM
You couldn't pay me to go to the pine barrons...

It's not mud.. it's not dirt... it's... SOUP! AND IT SMELLS!

Bill
01-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Well, I say we start asssociating some dates with some places and we make this happen! :wink:

OverkillZJ
01-09-2005, 12:40 PM
Well, I say we start asssociating some dates with some places and we make this happen! :wink:

Lets set them next month... I know I'm biased.

I've got GSW on the schedule, but I'm waiting to see where GSSW, GSN, and GSMW fall, dates should be announced shortly.... I want to go to them all and not miss any pgh events :-D

Matt

LordAthens
01-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Well, so long as the new Rubi stays in the plans, i'm all about GWNF. I'd *really* like to do another camping trip to Connellsville. The wheeling wasn't spectacular, but damn we had a good time.

OverkillZJ
01-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, so long as the new Rubi stays in the plans, i'm all about GWNF. I'd *really* like to do another camping trip to Connellsville. The wheeling wasn't spectacular, but damn we had a good time.

I would much rather camp at GWNF than Connelsville. Frankly, unless you want to do that one big rock ledge (and I do) - it's as easy as Connelsville.

karstman
01-09-2005, 06:23 PM
I'll be in Moab the week of May 1.

:D

GSW again eh Matt?
Can you bring my axles back out with you?
:lol:

:wink:

Interest on the axles is up to about 3 cases of Yuengling!!

LordAthens
01-09-2005, 06:43 PM

I would much rather camp at GWNF than Connelsville. Frankly, unless you want to do that one big rock ledge (and I do) - it's as easy as Connelsville.

Noone ever said we couldn't do both :)

OverkillZJ
01-09-2005, 06:45 PM
I'll be in Moab the week of May 1.

:D

GSW again eh Matt?
Can you bring my axles back out with you?
:lol:

:wink:

Interest on the axles is up to about 3 cases of Yuengling!!

I'm gonna send them back to you long before May, considering I won't be there 'til June and you might need them before then :)

3 cases of Yungling? The least I could do considering all the matthew-ass-saving you did this summer.

Any chance I could talk you into a lil' Moab wheelin before or after GSW? Some of us are planning to be there for about 6 days (GSW is only 3 days long.) I wanna get some CO wheeling in too! I'm planning on being out there for maybe just 2 weeks this time. Some of my clients were pissed about me disappearing for a month.

I'll call you with dates and such, see if we can get some wheeling in (not garage wrenching, haha.)

XtraSpecial
01-09-2005, 06:49 PM

If you are talking about Kephart @ GWNF it is now closed

karstman
01-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Call me and let me know when GSW is....I enjoy being the only SWB there.
:P

Was it Kephart or Dictum....that had the ledge? Either way...that was an outstanding trip......shame to hear of any trails getting closed.

:(