PDA

View Full Version : V10 Excursion Vs. 6.0L Yukon Denali Xl Vs. 5.3L Yukon?

Mykal
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
V10 Excursion or 2005 6.0L Yukon Denali Xl or 2003 5.3L Yukon? (I cant remember what year Excursion but its newer.)

Pick one. Opinions and thoughts please.

Used as a daily driver and occasional hauler. Maybe 3-5 times a year if that. Daily drive is about 10 miles total. Gas mileage isnt a concern. Safety and power are.

5.3L Yukon tows 8400 lbs
6.0L Yukon Denali XL tows 12000 lbs
V10 Excursion tows 11000 lbs

Super Scout
02-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Personally I would go with the 6.0 I know you said gas mileage doesn't matter but it will. Plus there is 2 more of everything to replace on the Excursion. The 6.0, 4l80 is about as bulletproof as combination as you can get. Stone cold reliable. I think the denali is AWD which could ruin gas mileage, I would think a regular 3/4 ton suburban or yukon could be had cheaper.

The 5.3 yukon will do the everything you want it too just fine, but a 6.0 will do it easier.

Never liked the Excursion, you asked for opinions thats mine lol.

highlandercj-7
02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I posted more on his Stagger thread. My Dad's 6.0L - 02' - AWD - Denali XL pulled a consistant 18-20 MPG, My 5.3L X-Cab Z-71 pulls 16-18. The 5.3L is gutless at low RPM. It doesn't pull strong till over 3K RPM. The 6.0L has a flat torque curve and is strong all the way to redline. I wanted and 6.0L when I got my 5.3L and now I want a 6.0L even more than before. The Denali rides like a Caddy, handles great, and has a hellofva comfortable interior with all the bells and whistles, it runs better and has better fuel economy. It's hands down the best of the 3.

Mykal
02-16-2012, 04:45 PM
The v10 was beat to hell. It's a 2000. We passed on it.
The Yukon xl Denali is the 1500 I'm pretty sure but I think it's rated for like 7500lbs.
I think we decided on that one. Hopefully we can come to a deal on it. I'll update in a few days. Thanks for the help!

Mykal
02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
She went with the Yukon Denali Xl 6.0L. This thing is sweeeet.

joe_and_jeep
02-18-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a 6.0 in my 2006 Silverado 2500HD, love the motor. K&N Air filter and dual exhaust made a 2mpg increase.

dan58
02-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Is is an LQ9 or LQ4? I bet you could get a solid 2mpg out of it with a tune.

Mykal
02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
The Yukons got the LQ4. Good for boost. lolh

Im thinking that with a open intake and exahust as well as a tune I can get a few more out of it. Along with a lighter foot.

I took it on a 4 hour trip. Average 14.3 mpg with my foot in the throttle. Thats not to shabby at all.

DixieJeeper
02-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Day late and a dollar short but here is my 2 cents-

We have a 2005 5.3 1500 Tahoe LT with the HD tow package, 3/4 ton style rear brakes, hydroboost, HD trans and cooling package. We use it as the daily driver to the city for the wife and it hauls a 18' foot steel deck car trailer towing either one of the jeeps.

It hauls either jeep fine until you get to a very step hill like just outside Patton/Altoona on 422 with that step hell of a hill... then its all 1st gear and blinkers.. and like 40 mph which is where I think it would be nice to have a 6.0. The LT has autoride with rear level control and dynamic shock control which actually does a failry good job with alot of tongue/trailer weight. However, a set of firestone overload air bladders or HD springs would help with towing.

Last ride out to Rock Run I averaged 15 ish mpg towing the XJ, around town 79-279-Oakland, back, Cranberry local drives it was getting like 17. I put an AEM Brute Force Intake, 3" Flowmaster american thunder cat back- and it improved mid range throttle response to the improved VE was pretty great and top end a bit too, but tip in throttle was poor. I added some 10.5 mm Taylor wires and e3 plugs and it was a literally a huge differnce in tip in and mid range. I pretty sure if I could get my hands on a tuner and push a mild 87 oct. tune to it it would be perfect. Right now on the same loop if we watch the skinny pedal its like 18 to 19 depending on fuel blend.

My biggest gripes;
1)LT models get an AWD tcase with selecticable low range.. the AWD case eats up a good 1 mpg compared to a friends non-LT tahoe in stock form

2) Although LT's get autoride air suspesion is nice- it gets troublesome around the 70K mark. I rebuilt my compressor and drier to get mine working but I know I could use a new set of shocks at all 4 corners... do yourself a favor if you Denali has it which I think it does... buy your parts from the tier 1 supplier that made them for GM... Arnott.. they are cheaper and offer lifetime replacments on the compressor and shocks.

3) My LT isn't a 6.0

'

Mykal
02-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the info. Ive already been digging around and seen Arnott was highly recommended when I do need to replace them.
Its AWD without a selectable low range which would be nice but for what it will see I doubt it will ever need low range.
Even at 14 MPG its getting better then the Xterra did. Her daily drive commute is short so its not that big of an issue really.

I figured buying a tow rig is like buying a TV or a motorcycle. No one ever wishes they bought them smaller. I also figured the oil cooler, trans cooler, awd, ride assist, quadra steer and wheel base would make it tow a lot safer.

Then again that didnt mean shit if she didnt like it. Its her car in the end and shes paying for it. Im just glad we found something that can pull double duty.

DixieJeeper
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
I think you will be happy with the Yukon as our tahoe does family DD/towing very well in much better comfort than a silverado or ram crew I think.

Be mindful that the arnott compressor units are OEM style but not direct fit, as you have to splice the harness in and reuse the old pigtail- check them before you order as the pigtails are available from GM. The compressor location in the l/r wheel well is corrosion prone.

DMG
02-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Is is an LQ9 or LQ4? I bet you could get a solid 2mpg out of it with a tune.

Thats what I was hoping for with mine. So far no increase in mileage but I get up the hills much faster towing. Plus my truck is a weird combination.
01 CCSB 4x4 6.0/NV4500/3.73. It really should have 4.10s.

dan58
02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
I think tunes are much more effective with autos. The factory has that godawful TQ management system on them to make trannys survive longer. It really puts a hamper on the performace of them.

DMG
02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Yeah, torque management is lame. I had it removed from the 5.3 going in the 4runner. Hopefully I am buildng the 700R4 enough to live behind it.

oros35
02-20-2012, 02:58 PM
We have a 2007 Yukon with the 5.3. Very pleased with it, it's my wifes DD. Get 16-18mpg, and better than that on the highway. It's the more base model 1/2 ton.

The hitch has never been used yet (50K miles) It's there if I need it but my truck gets towing duty.

T-case is selectable for 2/awd/4/4L. AWD mode is about useless. Body style changed in 2007 but I don't really know much about the driveline package changes.

ridgerunner97
02-20-2012, 03:53 PM
At work we have an 01 2500hd with the 8.1L/allison, std cab long bed 4x4 with headers, free flow exhaust, and a mild chip in it. That thing can pass anything on the road except a gas station, and it feels stronger and pulls harder than the 6.0L Powerchoke we have as well. I love having a trailer on with about 4-5k lbs and on a wet road be able to break the ass end loose. Thing is a rocket ship from 0-100mph governor it pulls the same all the way through the RPM's I love that engine/trans combo.