PDA

View Full Version : Gun Brands - Quality

Ronin152
03-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I am interested in taking up shooting as a new hobby. I have been looking around at pistols and I was just wondering if I was in the ballpark for the various companies' market positions. Thanks.

High Quality / Price:
Sig
HK
FN

Mid Level:
Glock
S&W
Springfield
Walther
Colt
Kimber

Value:
Ruger
Taurus
Kel-tec

HoodRN
03-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Kimbers are a little too pricey for the value group...

DMG
03-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I would bump glock up a level and kimber up a level. (2 levels if we are talking about older guns)

Ronin152
03-06-2012, 05:50 PM
My bad, I had Kimber mistaken for another company. Thank you.

justin'sbig7
03-06-2012, 05:51 PM
check out beretta as well. i never looked at one till I saw my 96 with crimson trace grips... i wanted to check out the grips and my hand fell in love with the gun!

ditto on kimber, they are quality but pricey

Azzy
03-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I would bump Ruger and Keltec up a notch. Unless your list is based on looks. And that list is odd... All of those brands have less expensive and lower quality models (minus glock, they really only do one thing) and then those same brands have top shelf things.

You should also think about what kind of shooting. Pistol? Rifle? Target? Skeet? Trap? Sporting Clays? CMP? IDPA? IPSC? USPDA? Defensive?

I would get out and shoot some stuff with a friend, and base your opinion off of that.

Ronin152
03-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I am looking at getting into pistol target shooting just for fun. I was just looking for some generalized info on the background / reputation of the brands. Just like with cars, you have your high end: mercs, bmws, etc.. mid: honda, ford, etc.. and low end: suzuki, kia, etc.. There is some overlap with the brands but I was just wondering generally where they stand. It seems like the prices for the same gun are all over the place depending on the retailer so I was just trying to get a general feel for what something is worth.

Azzy
03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I think you are better off looking at a particular platform, and then choosing based on features, brand and price. You can pick up a lowly P32 Keltech wich is not the most sophisticated gun in the world, is cheap, and looks the price, and then go into one of their rifles, like the RFB, which is pretty innovative and not the cheapest thing on the market.

Same thing with Springfield. their XD platform is one class, and their 1911s span a few others... Much, much different than the car world.

jlovbasz3
03-06-2012, 09:15 PM
If your just getting into shooting you may want to look into the Smith & Wesson 22A. It's a semi auto .22 cal. target pistol. I've had mine for years and put a few thousand rounds threw it very accurate and dependable and can be had for under $250. http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Smith+%26+Wesson&mdl=22A&cat=1&type=Semi-Automatic+Pistol&cal=22LR&fin=&sit=&zipcode=15012 Myself I had bad luck with Kel-Tec I owned the PF-9 and shot the P-3AT both stove piped with different types of ammo multiply times and had failures to feed and both didn't feel right in my hands just felt too small. Personally if your new to shooting I would start with a .22 as most of us did. Ammo is cheap little to no recoil and just a great caliber to learn with. And you can have a shit ton of fun for $20 lol!

HoodRN
03-06-2012, 10:05 PM
A quality rimfire handgun would be a good choice for a first purchase. Ruger and Browning make solid rimfire pistols, as do others. Whatever you do though, don't buy a revolver. They are slow to load, recoil too hard, and cause impotence, hair loss, and blurred vision. The recoil may cause the hammer to strike you in the forehead, and you will be doomed to living the rest of your life wearing a hockey helmet and a bib.

ridgerunner97
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Ruger goes up on the list without a doubt, and Kimber is nowhere near a value.

busij44
03-07-2012, 12:15 AM
A quality rimfire handgun would be a good choice for a first purchase. Ruger and Browning make solid rimfire pistols, as do others. Whatever you do though, don't buy a revolver. They are slow to load, recoil too hard, and cause impotence, hair loss, and blurred vision. The recoil may cause the hammer to strike you in the forehead, and you will be doomed to living the rest of your life wearing a hockey helmet and a bib.

....and you'll wake up laying in a ditch.

OverkillZJ
03-07-2012, 01:13 AM
^ I can't stop laughing.

Kimber seems to be my new novice favorite, and strangely the gun I fell in love with is my fiancee's.

chain
03-07-2012, 08:20 AM
I am in agreement that for starting out a .22 would be good just to get you comfortable with shooting before you move up.

As far as Kel-Tec I will never buy one of their pistols again. I had a PF-9 and it was never as reliable as it should have been, much less a gun whose primary purpose would be for carrying. When it actually broke on me that's when I decided it had to go. Just open one up and you can see how sloppy and rough the machining is. I might give their rifles a chance one day, maybe. I can say their customer service is good.

When it comes to Taurus I have been very happy. I bought my wife one (PT111) originally and I liked how it shot so I ended up buying myself one (PT99). When I decided the Kel-Tec was out I replaced it with a PT-709 Slim. I like this as well. A lot of people bash them but my understanding is they have a bad reputation that has followed them from years ago when they did make crap. Since then they have restructured and it seems in the last 10-20 years their quality has really gone up. For the cost I would reccomend them.

In the end I would say buy what you want. The only brand I would steer away from that you llisted would be Kel-Tec but that's just me.

JeepSteeler
03-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Coffee right out my nose - well done!

As others said Kimber and "value" are not linked words all that much. If you want a 1911 though they sure are nice. I agree with some of the others input, settle on a style/size/platform then caliber then go cross shop brands. I wouldn't rule out any of those brands you listed depending on the model, all of them make some nice guns at certain price points.

If all you want to do is plink, there are plenty of good sub $400 semi autos out there to pick from. The used market is something to consider as well. And if I were just wanting to plink, .22 and 9mm are going to be a good bet due to cheap and plentiful ammo.

mxg342
03-07-2012, 08:46 AM
I own or have owned the following handguns. The are all Low price/low to mid grade guns.
S&W SW40VE - Hated it. Was the first pistol I bought and ended up never shooting it and eventually selling it. This is the only gun that I have ever sold so that's saying something.
Bersa Thunder 380 - My current semi auto pistol. I love this gun. I can shoot it fairly well, it fits me nice, and it was less than $300.
Taurus Tracker .22 Revolver - I bought this to keep with me for coon hunting and trapping. I really like this pistol as well. very accurate and feels good in my hands.
Pheonix Arms 22 semi auto - I bought this on an impulse. Definately a low end gun and for $160 I kinda regret buying it. The only nice thing is that it's small and I can keep it in a glovebox or console and not care about beating it up.

My next one will probably be another Taurus. I'm thinking the Raging Bull in a .41 mag.

Deb on the other hand has two that I like.
Taurus Slim 9mm. I really like this gun. It was the first that she bought for a CCW.
Ruger 38 special - it's the composite frame with the laser (can't remember the series). It weighs next to nothing in her purse but its mean to shoot.

tjblair
03-07-2012, 08:59 AM
....and you'll wake up laying in a ditch.
or you end up with a grandson with a dog collar:031:

cityslicker
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
IMO Kimbers are the nicest out there, they would top my list. and I think Rugers are def in the value bin. They are decent but cheap. they are par for Taurus.
I might just put Colt on the top list out of respect; the 1911 is still a viable dependable design thats over a hundred years old now, and they are so easy to shoot.
SIG and HK are definitely nice pistols.. and their crazy prices are a refection of their quality. I like Springfield Armory alot. they are can be in the mid range. Walther I'd put up near the top.

Ravens, Hi-Points, Bryco, Jennings. THESE ARE THE REAL "VALUE" BIN WEAPONS. they are absolutely pointless to own, they are very very cheap and will more often then not, jam on you when you need them most.

I started with a 22 when I was a boy... that makes sense, but you are a man. I'd start with a 9mm... they are very easy to shoot. and Ammo is cheap. and it is a proven round. get a Smith & Wesson Parabellum 9mm. they are heavier guns, and therefore more accurate in your hand. they have safetys, and a nice feature, that they won't fire if the clip is out of it. so if your wrestling for the gun, you can release the mag. and then let go and put your thumbs through the guys eyes.

pittim
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Anybody have experience with CZ pistols? I know they make awesome bolt action 22s, but dont know chit about their pistols.

I'm looking at the P06...thinking about getting that or a P229 .40

DMG
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Rugers are a little heavy and overbuilt but will outlast most guns. I have a couple of Mark 1 pistols and one of them has about 200,000 rounds throught it probably.

CZs are nice.

DMG
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
In my experience revolvers are far superior for pistol whipping due to their design.

Azzy
03-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Dont forget the issues with magnets being attracted to your left teste.

:icon_eyes:

A good 22 pistol would be a great choice. A cheap 22 pistol would be a poor choice, just like buying a kia to take to track days would leave you very frustrated.

HoodRN
03-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Dont forget the issues with magnets being attracted to your left teste.

:icon_eyes:

A good 22 pistol would be a great choice. A cheap 22 pistol would be a poor choice, just like buying a kia to take to track days would leave you very frustrated.

Well, yeah...that too

Ronin152
03-07-2012, 04:08 PM
I have never been a gun person but I was considering a career change to LE. I thought that it might be a good idea to get some experience with firearms to see if it would be something I would like. I was thinking of going with a 9mm because its cheap, lower recoil, and what caliber some LE still use. The guns that I have been looking at are: glock 17/19, walther ppq, S&W M&P 9, and Ruger SR9. I am not going to be carrying the pistol or using it for self defense, so I was just looking for something that was decent quality and fairly accurate to just get some experience.

cityslicker
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Get the ruger then,, it'll be cheaper, reliable. and nice.. comfortable in your hand.
And it has a saftey unlike the Glock.. otherwise I wold say the S&W. I really like smiths.. but your overlooking Baretta. wich makes an excellent 9.

justin'sbig7
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
your best bet is to go and take a look at a few, hold them and see what feels right. I am a S&W revolver fan. they point right, feel correct in my hand. ruger makes a quality firearm, but personally the grip angle and natural point feel is awkward to me.

PatF10
03-07-2012, 05:25 PM
its hard to beat a nice smith revolver good build quality and have that classic look/feel to them.

YZEATER
03-07-2012, 06:50 PM
ruger makes very good revolvers. also their mkII semi .22 are very good for beginners.

Super Scout
03-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Ruger GP100 that is all.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg255/XD45FAN/Revolvers/RugerGP100.jpg

RalphDogg
03-08-2012, 07:34 PM
I have been wanting a hand gun recently, for fun and range shooting

Azzy
03-08-2012, 11:12 PM
The MkII or MKIII, or 22/45 are great pistols to have on hand if going 22. Also the Buckmarks and Woodsman pistols (latter are a bit more hard to find) cant be beat either.

JeepSteeler
03-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Ruger or S&W M&P are both fine choices IMHO.

The_War_Wagon
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Springfield 1911. Their customer service is second to NONE, and they build an excellent pistol!

HoodRN
03-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I have a Springer stainless Mil-Spec. Great 1911 for the money :045:.