PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry when wheelin, and what do you carry

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Ill go first. When wheelin or campin 9 times out of 10 i will take my Glock Model 30 it is a double stacked .45 ACP in a sub compact frame. If you know Glock then you know their Duribility and Reliability . It is not uncommon at all for it to get covered in mud, dropped in water and mud, spacked off rocks and even ran over by my jeep. after 6,000 plus rounds i could count the number of jams on one hand. so yea... thats what I carry when I wheel. (and sometimes I do carry my fullsize mag in it, lol)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483832_3560307372186_1407856194_3395046_541115357_ n.jpg

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Smacked**

DMG
03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
How in the hell do you manage to smack it off rocks and run it over with your jeep? You may not be responsible enough to own a gun if what you described above is accurate.

Btw, I carry a S&W 629 Trail Boss with night sites or a Ruger SP101 or a G22. Never ran any of them over.

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 07:29 PM
Well i appreciate your insult, I am actually a very responsible gun owner and have even put on a few Safe Shooter Schools at local Gun Ranges. Maybe a little back ground: I conceal or open carry almost 24/7 i have different guns for different things. Like if i am going out to a nice dinner or evening out where i am wearing a suit or button up shirt tucked in i will carry one of my smaller revolvers (ankle holster) or one of the .380 / 32 auto / or .22 Semi auto pistols (in my pocket) i have. In the winter when i usually have a coat on I may carry one of my 1911's or "the judge" or one of my full size glock's Ect Ect.
So Yes I Believe I am responsible enough to "own a gun"
and to answer your direct question...If you have ever gone offroad there is a good chance you've had to crawl under your rig to do a repair or inspection, when trail riding i usually open carry and yes ....when climbing under my jeep i have bumped and banged my holstered glock off of a few rocks..... As far as the running over, To show glocks durability to a few friends i unloaded the gun and ran it over with my jeep. That Glock 30 is my "work horse" and it takes a beating..
-Sorry i didnt put the huge saftey disclaimer up first. i didnt think i'd get lectured on gun saftey

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 07:35 PM
The trail boss and your ruger are nice guns no doubt but i definitely would not take nice revolvers like that wheelin ...

OverkillZJ
03-20-2012, 07:50 PM
If you're a safe gun owner, I dont understand how you're smacking it off rocks and dropping it in water. Just Sayin'. :)

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 07:55 PM
ok ok ok
Gun is on hip
Crawling under jeep to inspect transfer case (example)
Gun rubs and bangs off of rocks (which are also under jeep)
where did I lose ya?
and yes last year at the falls when Joe G fell off that rope swing and drowned, I jumped in after him with that glock on my hip. so yes its been in water.

2002wranglerX
03-20-2012, 08:32 PM
I pretty much carry all the time. On the trail I usually have this

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus-Judge/DSC00272.jpg

But I just sold it so I can buy one of these

http://gunsgunsguns.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Raging-Judge-3inch.jpg

Because I really want the .454 Cassull capability for camping.

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Very Nice, I love my Judge Public Defender!! what an awesome all around gun!! there are so many different 410 rounds for different things, and you can switch it up wiht some Long Colt rounds... Nice buddy

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Yea im looking at that one too, Just saw it at Cabela's , id love the 454 capability too

john00TJ
03-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Every time i am around Sean his shit always accidental discharges

The_War_Wagon
03-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Star Firestar M45 & extra mag are THE truck gun. I'm going out past Ligonier this weekend - Yugo M70AB, a drum, and couple mags will probably be stashed in there somewhere. Or an AR. One never knows... 8)

JKchick
03-20-2012, 09:09 PM
this thread is an epic fail so far....

ridgerunner97
03-20-2012, 09:13 PM
Ruger P91DC .40 S&W or Keltec P11 9mm, and/or depending where i'm going and if i'm camping out remotely for the weekend i.e. West Virginia a Winchester 94 30/30 or a Mossberg 12ga pump...

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Every time i am around Sean his shit always accidental discharges

Yea when im working at your garage in the Ghetto

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Ruger P91DC .40 S&W or Keltec P11 9mm, and/or depending where i'm going and if i'm camping out remotely for the weekend i.e. West Virginia a Winchester 94 30/30 or a Mossberg 12ga pump...

yep, when we camp i'll usually take a gauge or one of my AR's

ridgerunner97
03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm a firm believer in a saddle gun 30/30 being one of the best all around tactical non tactical rifles LOL. The 94's are light, short, fast, hold 7 or 8 and the 30/30 packs a hell of a punch for man or beast, with open sights i'm a force to be reckoned with anywhere from 15' to 100yds. It needs more than 8 or I can't stop it closing on me with 8, it can get 11 more from my Ruger...

john00TJ
03-20-2012, 09:25 PM
i roll deep ..i can get ya driving by : )

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii74/john02r600tj/BP_HK_MP5K-SD1.jpg

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 09:29 PM
I also have this, just incase i have to snipe zombies from the top of a mountain ridge
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/420471_3459650775834_1407856194_3355538_474958654_ n.jpg

joshs1ofakindxj
03-20-2012, 09:33 PM
I OC my XD .45, but I take it off and secure it before doing anything stupid.

Usually something evil and black in a guitar case goes along for the ride too.

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I definitely respect that josh, in some instances maybe the best thing to do. thats just not me. as far as my side arm goes when im out and about carrying it , it doesnt leave my side for any reason. Troops and Law Enforcement dont remove their weapons, regaurdless of the situation. and thats been my point all along was that the glock is super durable and can handle being drug through mud sand and rocks.

Deadman 94 xj
03-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Hmmm, I didn't realize this was a part of the usual gear..Do they make tube clamp holsters? One I can mount beside the fire extinguisher on my cage? Is a carry permit a part of the inspection checklist at your local OHV park entrance? lol

:flipoff2:

ridgerunner97
03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
^ Shutup Tom. LOL BTW on the topic of firearms have you shot your carbine at all yet!?! I found some mags for that bastard I just can't remember who had em its been so long!

Deadman 94 xj
03-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Nobody broke in my house yet. I have no reason to shoot it. lol! Ammo is too expensive for fun.

XJ_Sean
03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, I didn't realize this was a part of the usual gear..Do they make tube clamp holsters? One I can mount beside the fire extinguisher on my cage? Is a carry permit a part of the inspection checklist at your local OHV park entrance? lol

:flipoff2:
Spoken like a true liberal lol

ridgerunner97
03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
^ Haha you hit the nail on the head.

I always knew there was something not quite right about you Tom just couldn't place it....a closet nancy liberal!!!!! LOL

Deadman 94 xj
03-20-2012, 09:53 PM
LOL! Sorry, I'm not placing the liberal comments. It says republican on my registration. Somebody please fill me in.

ridgerunner97
03-20-2012, 09:55 PM
not wanting to spend money on ammo to shoot...

joshs1ofakindxj
03-20-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm too intelligent to call myself an anything-ist.

I like where this thread is going.

Deadman 94 xj
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
I don't want to spend money on anything Jon, you know that. I too like where this thread is going...not real far. :) Just stirring the pot a little. Carry on.

ridgerunner97
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
Derail central baby! Pgh-Offtopic ENGAGE!

Super Scout
03-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Who needs a gun when you have a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufDTDUPZrag

busij44
03-20-2012, 10:35 PM
FNP-40 almost everywhere I go.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/busij44/FNP40.jpg

Azzy
03-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Glock 19, w and extra mag. But thats just about everywhere. Used to carry a G22, but it was a bit heavy and not kind on my hands on the range (nerve issues).

Never dunked them in water, but have OCed in the rain and snow, while working on a vehicle. So close enough.

notmYJ
03-21-2012, 12:40 AM
I dont leave my bedroom without my XD40 holstered in a Galco Fletch. I prefer open carry. Here is a pic from last saturday, guess which one I am. HINT: I'm airing down

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/regalracer1979/Jeep/IMAG1002.jpg

condortaco01
03-21-2012, 09:59 AM
I carry my Glock 30SF everywhere I go. In my truck there is always one or a combination of a)Glock 17, b) Savage 24 .22WMR/20Ga c)Ak 47. My 17 is my beater gun and yes, I've dropped it. Its been in the snow and rain. That's why I LUV Glocks. They're not fancy, will take a beating and I have never had 1 jam. If you have any questions about Glocks' reliabilty, just look it up on Youtube.

muddeprived
03-21-2012, 10:14 AM
I carry my big gun wherever I go. A little different from what you guys are talking about though.........

:040:

DMG
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
It wasn't really an insult, just a pretty valid question after reading this,
"It is not uncommon at all for it to get covered in mud, dropped in water and mud, spacked off rocks and even ran over by my jeep"
Until you clarified that you had done it intentionally, it seemed that you were not in control of you weapon if you were accidentally running it over and considered that to be not uncommon. Now it makes a little more sense.

I carry the Trail Boss in a flap holster and regard it as a tool to keep me and the people I am with safe in the woods. If it gets beat up, thats ok. But so far, so good.

Well i appreciate your insult, I am actually a very responsible gun owner and have even put on a few Safe Shooter Schools at local Gun Ranges. Maybe a little back ground: I conceal or open carry almost 24/7 i have different guns for different things. Like if i am going out to a nice dinner or evening out where i am wearing a suit or button up shirt tucked in i will carry one of my smaller revolvers (ankle holster) or one of the .380 / 32 auto / or .22 Semi auto pistols (in my pocket) i have. In the winter when i usually have a coat on I may carry one of my 1911's or "the judge" or one of my full size glock's Ect Ect.
So Yes I Believe I am responsible enough to "own a gun"
and to answer your direct question...If you have ever gone offroad there is a good chance you've had to crawl under your rig to do a repair or inspection, when trail riding i usually open carry and yes ....when climbing under my jeep i have bumped and banged my holstered glock off of a few rocks..... As far as the running over, To show glocks durability to a few friends i unloaded the gun and ran it over with my jeep. That Glock 30 is my "work horse" and it takes a beating..
-Sorry i didnt put the huge saftey disclaimer up first. i didnt think i'd get lectured on gun saftey

2002wranglerX
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
FNP-40 almost everywhere I go.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/busij44/FNP40.jpg

my fnp9 is my primary carry. it's always with me. But sometimes i carry the big revolver (camping, 4 wheeling, etc).

i love my FN

PatF10
03-21-2012, 11:55 AM
I just picked up a walther PPS to keep on me, in the truck/jeep. Maybe ill take it wheeling with me when i actually go...

DixieJeeper
03-21-2012, 03:47 PM
It wasn't really an insult, just a pretty valid question after reading this,
"It is not uncommon at all for it to get covered in mud, dropped in water and mud, spacked off rocks and even ran over by my jeep"
Until you clarified that you had done it intentionally, it seemed that you were not in control of you weapon if you were accidentally running it over and considered that to be not uncommon. Now it makes a little more sense.

I carry the Trail Boss in a flap holster and regard it as a tool to keep me and the people I am with safe in the woods. If it gets beat up, thats ok. But so far, so good.

I carry a .40 Glock 22 full frame, extend mags, and usually 2 other hicap mags near by or on me.

I will carry it wheeling ONLY when camping in small groups say for instance in George Washington Nat. Forest or Uwharrie. I won't carry it around when camping at BDOR next month. But Ill have it in the tow rig.

Like OP state the glock is well suit for abuse that it might face on the trail on in a survior mode. However, like Josh said and DMG impllied I am ALWAYS congnistent of the gun. I view it as part of my responsibilty as a gun owner and and even though it takes a beating the less I beat on it the better. So if I have to crawl under the rig I will pass the weapon off to a somone who is versed and trained or lock it in my tuffy console or render it safe and put in on the floor boards to avoid any accidental discharge by it getting pulled out of my holster or grabbing a rock and going off.

I am with DMG and Josh on this one and a few others can't recall all names but.. I am all about responsible carrying- just like wheeling, when you are CC or OC you an abassador to the gun owning community just like when you wheel. You can never be too safe when you carry and the last thing anyone needs is more lands being shut down or more liberals trying to take more of our rights away or a tragedy like this;

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/14/3-year-old-boy-fatally-shoots-himself-in-car-while-family-stops-for-gas/

2002wranglerX
03-21-2012, 04:09 PM
I carry a .40 Glock 22 full frame, extend mags, and usually 2 other hicap mags near by or on me.

I will carry it wheeling ONLY when camping in small groups say for instance in George Washington Nat. Forest or Uwharrie. I won't carry it around when camping at BDOR next month. But Ill have it in the tow rig.

Like OP state the glock is well suit for abuse that it might face on the trail on in a survior mode. However, like Josh said and DMG impllied I am ALWAYS congnistent of the gun. I view it as part of my responsibilty as a gun owner and and even though it takes a beating the less I beat on it the better. So if I have to crawl under the rig I will pass the weapon off to a somone who is versed and trained or lock it in my tuffy console or render it safe and put in on the floor boards to avoid any accidental discharge by it getting pulled out of my holster or grabbing a rock and going off.

I am with DMG and Josh on this one and a few others can't recall all names but.. I am all about responsible carrying- just like wheeling, when you are CC or OC you an abassador to the gun owning community just like when you wheel. You can never be too safe when you carry and the last thing anyone needs is more lands being shut down or more liberals trying to take more of our rights away or a tragedy like this;

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/14/3-year-old-boy-fatally-shoots-himself-in-car-while-family-stops-for-gas/

i know it's all relative, but that's one of the reasons i like my judge as a carry gun while camping/wheeling. nice heavy trigger pull, it's revolver safe, etc.

Deadman 94 xj
03-21-2012, 05:29 PM

Great post. I agree with all of it. I'm from a different seed than some I guess though. When it comes to carrying, nobody will know, ever. I know there have been discussions in the past about the benefits to the gun being visible and there is some merit there, but for me personally, its like walking around with your yoyo hanging out.

Like I said, JMO. I agree with the right to carry. That's not up for debate. I just don't feel the need to talk about it all the time. I guess maybe I'm being too serious though. This is the internet after all ;)

DixieJeeper
03-21-2012, 08:08 PM
:thumbsup: I agree- JMO too- today I was running errands and CC'in it too. It sucks in the summer months since I carry a full frame glock as my piece. Therefore, I am always aware of what clothing and how its cut to conceal the heat the most.

In the end if you are aware you will likey still be able to pin point I am packing- but most lay persons don't know. until I get the baby glock next year thats just how I am going to roll- with a brick strapped to my hip.:101:

Super Scout
03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
When I carry its secret secret, but usually on the trails I keep my Ruger .357 handy. Only me and the dead dude would ever know.

Azzy
03-21-2012, 10:06 PM

I agree on the ambassador part... and tell you that the tragedy you linked to wont stop those who wish power over all of us, liberal or not, dont need it to push their agenda.

Its also interesting how you pointed out that you would remove your pistol and secure it in the truck... and thats sort of what happened in the story there... :P

Less manipulation, staying in the holster, no chance for it to go bang when it doent need to. Just my thoughts on the matter.

You guys carrying rifles... you playing fast and loose with the game laws or state law, or do you all have fun stamps and 10" barrels on those ARs?

ridgerunner97
03-21-2012, 10:11 PM
You guys carrying rifles... you playing fast and loose with the game laws or state law, or do you all have fun stamps and 10" barrels on those ARs?

What are you talking about? Everything I have has 18" barrel on it.

DixieJeeper
03-21-2012, 10:46 PM
The guy in the link put his gun under the seat without rendering it safe.

I would state I would secure it in my tuffy lockers in my jeep or render it safe... redering safe in my book isn't safety on, it isn't unloaded chamber open mag out, rendering safe in my book is also taking the slide of my carry piece if if I had no choice but to leave it on a floor.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Separate rifle and ammo, but not too far apart.

Or the Draco solution

ridgerunner97
03-22-2012, 07:43 AM
^ Ahh I wasn't thinking yeah, I keep the rounds close by as well...

XJ_Sean
03-22-2012, 07:17 PM
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s320x320/548713_10150682494764371_166833599370_9035772_3677 4798_n.jpg

jim91303
04-07-2012, 10:15 PM
For me its my SR9 (9mm) every day every where ! When I go in the woods on foot.... 357 mag in 180 grain or C93 in 5.56

HoodRN
04-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Separate rifle and ammo, but not too far apart.

Or the Draco solution

I take it you found one? I have a single-point sling on mine, works almost as well as a stock :)