PDA

View Full Version : North Hills area ranges

DixieJeeper
03-24-2012, 11:19 PM
I have some limited acess to private land in which shooting whatever I please isn't an issue. But the land is not always available nor does the travel to always the best timewise to get to.

I know in VA there were a number of indoor ranges that allowed 12 ga target loads, pistol, and carbine rifles. Also many sportsman clubs in VA don't require you to join if you want to pay to shoot trap/skeet, etc..

I am looking for something with low comittment and upfront costs to be able to shoot casually. I.e. I don't want to join a club- I know most are nominal $45 to 75 a year and one meeting plus the usual meetins and chores at the site. I am just not able to make that kind of comittment time/$$ wise.

I think there are a few sportsmans clubs in the area. Are there any indoor ranges? or Ranges/clubs open to the casual public shooter in the north hills or near north hills area.

pittim
03-24-2012, 11:39 PM
There's the gamelands off of mingo in wexford that has outdoor rifle/pistol ranges.

Azzy
03-25-2012, 12:28 AM
You need a hunting license for the Gamelands now, or a special shooting range pass. I know you arent much up for a club, but PMSC is about the best around, indoor and outdoor ranges plus practical shooting bays and an all year outdoor steel bay.

HoodRN
03-25-2012, 10:56 AM
The only thing open to non-club members north of Pittsburgh would be the range at gamelands 203 in Wexford. You will need a current hunting license or a range permit to use the range. You are also bound by some restrictions on magazine capacity. If you want to shoot on a regular basis, it would be best to join a sportsman's club. There are plenty of nice ones around, but some have waiting lists. As Azzy said, Pitcairn-Monroeville is a nice one, as is Lawrence County, if you are into IDPA/3-Gun/etc. I belong to Butler City HFC as it is close to my home, although I do shoot with friends at Lawrence County, and make an occasional appearance at Pitcairn-Monroeville. You could go out and buy a few hundred acres and a bulldozer, then invite the rest of us over and open a lead mine.

DixieJeeper
03-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Great idea... :) Now for the start up price... for the lead dump and well my bunker I would HAVE to have there too.