PDA

View Full Version : Rudder kit or upgrade to kayak with rudder

joshs1ofakindxj
03-26-2012, 08:34 AM
I was thinking about selling my 14' Woodsman kayak because it doesn't have a rudder, for about $250, and I was planning on buying my buddy's kayak for $800. It is a Wilderness Systems Tsunami 160 Pro with rudder ($2700 MSRP) in great shape. I have used it a few times and I'm in love with the rudder.

The Woodsman is no where near as nice of a kayak, but for all I do, I'm considering holding onto my Woodsman and buying this $200 rudder kit: http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Rudder-Kit-Wilderness-Perception/dp/B0047H0MPA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1332765030&sr=8-9

It isn't intended for my kayak, but mine is "rudder ready" with the 2 screws on the back and the mounting locations for the foot tracks and everything else.

I might use my kayak once every other week during the summer, so I don't want to spend a ton on this self made dilemma. I'm just wondering if the rudder kit is a total pain in the rear and will never work right.

2002wranglerX
03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
i've never added a rudder, but i will say, it makes paddling so much more enjoyable. I keep looking at your boat wondering if i need a 3rd lol

HoodRN
03-26-2012, 08:49 PM
My brother's boat is a 17 foot Necky Looksha with a rudder. He loves it, especially in windy or rough conditions. It does add a lot of weight, and his boat is fairly hefty anyway. My boat is also a 17 footer, but it's glass and has a skeg. The skeg is also great in wind or rough water, but doesn't weigh as much and uses much less hardware. The Tsunami is a great kayak, we see a lot of them on the water. If you are planning on using your boat on open water, a rudder or skeg is useful. We have a 12 foot Pungo and a 10 foot Pamlico for farting around on the rivers. If you think a rudder will make your time on the water more enjoyable, go for it.