PDA

View Full Version : Henry Rifles

DixieJeeper
04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Looking for some feedback from ya'll .... I am thinking about getting a a Henry lever action .22 or a US AR7 Survival collapsable. Feedback? thoughts.

Id like to put a .22 rifle as part of my collection for plinking and small game WTSHF type scnerario a .22 you can stock up ammo alot easier and train marksmanship alot more affordable. The collapsable AR7 is nice to toss in a backpack.. lever action I have always liked.... AR7 is actually cheaper by 50.00

joshs1ofakindxj
04-12-2012, 08:18 AM
I have a Henry 22 Golden Boy and it is too heavy to really be anything other than a fun-at-the-range target rifle in my opinion. It has no sling mounts (yet!) and the heavy barrel makes it front heavy so shooting without support turns into an endurance test.

I own a Ruger 10/22 and I consider it to be the ultimate .22 rifle overall. If you could only have one, I would go Ruger 10/22. I have a Butler Creek folding stock on my 10/22 carbine so it folds up pretty short.

Now you do have a new option which is pretty sweet:

http://i40.tinypic.com/33p7gw6.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/ruger1022Takedown/images/11100.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/35iu9vq.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/nff969.jpg

They seem to be priced reasonably, and reviews are good so far: http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/168385-new-ruger-10-22-take-down-take-out-garbage.html

I really wouldn't mind having one myself.

chux72vette
04-12-2012, 08:30 AM
I now have the Stainless 22"bbl 10/22 that only Walmart carried and it is awesome with the longer barrel. I have had the Rugers for over 30 years and have others too but would never be without a true dependable .22. Alot of stuff for them out there also like Josh was saying.

DMG
04-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Exactly ^

I have not heard the greatest reviews of the ar7, btw.

Azzy
04-12-2012, 09:15 AM
Nor have I. Best Ive heard it isnt fun to shoot.

Now the lever action on the other hand, that is a blast to shoot. Last time we had a public range day, I had it sitting out on a table with a 500rd brick. That brick lasted 2 hours. With all the nifty guns foating around and all the super tacticool stuff, that thing was one of the most popular items. Because its fun to shoot.

If you get one, they will send you metal parts like the sight hood and barrel band (just call and ask). Dont bother, the plastic ones fit better.

One of my favorite things about them? You can load 22 short in the same mag. I load it up as the last round, gives an audible clue to if I have lost count of rounds.

DixieJeeper
04-12-2012, 10:01 AM
I like the lever action of the henry... I shot one a a long time ago and loved it. I actaully would like to have it just for the fun of it.

But I am sorta building my arsenal for the upcoming zombie appocolapyse or the total socio-economic melt down. So when I make my firearm purchases (on a budget) I need to keep that in mind.

Here is my thoughts- are your tin foil hats on? :)

Current guns;
1) .40 glock 22- large stopping power, common .40 SW rounds easier to find WTSHF- got it
2) 870 Express 12 ga., large crowd and medium game hunting, common rounds- got it
3) .40 Hipoint Tactical Carbine- same common SW .40 rounds, makes stockpiling ammuntion easier and cheaper- got it

what I would like to get/shopping for now;

4) .22 rifle for extremely cheap stock piling of ammo, for small game, training and range time= cheaper in a .22,

I like the collapseable stock of the 10/22 or the AR7 as they can go into a Go bag easily if all else fails and you all you get is just a go bag and your CC peice you at least have 2.

5) better CC piece small frame 9mm or model 27 glock in .40 (although more expensive the .40 cal would share ammo with 2 other guns)
6) large caliber rifle round 7.62mm, perhaps something like an AR15 for distance and long range.

Right now I shopping either for a .22 rifle or a better CC piece

but about some of the concerns with the AR7... I like how you can collapse it and dissabemble it all into the stock of the gun (similar to Josh's 10/22) I think it would be stowed nicely in a go bag that way.

What are some of the negatives of the AR7? Seems as there are more 10/22 fans but pricing on the AR7 is a bit more friendly to the gun conessour on a budget.... Oh and feedbeck on my logic for my master list of purchases is welcomed too.

joshs1ofakindxj
04-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Save money on the 7.62 rifle by getting a nice Mosin (less than $150) and spend a little more coin on the 22 and get something you will enjoy shooting, because it is something you will shoot a lot.

I recently picked up a CETME for $400 from pennswoods. Another $125 got it pimped out. Now that is a 7.62x51 rifle with some attitude.

A 7.62 AR is going to run over $800 pretty easily.

Buying 7.62x51 hurts the budget a lot too.

7.62x54R, not so much.

DixieJeeper
04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks Josh for the input... and BTW love your ad on CL for your enduro/dualsport... classy, smart ass, entertaining, and informative.. something CL is lacking these days.

HoodRN
04-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Another vote for the 10/22. Everyone should have one (or three).

joshs1ofakindxj
04-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks Josh for the input... and BTW love your ad on CL for your enduro/dualsport... classy, smart ass, entertaining, and informative.. something CL is lacking these days.

I just try to make the ad that I would want to read if I was on the other end doing the shopping.

pittim
04-16-2012, 09:20 PM
how about a recommendation for a bolt action 22? for those of us that might need to use subsonic rounds since they don't work well in semiautos

ridgerunner97
04-16-2012, 09:50 PM
^ MARLIN. Buy a used Marlin bolt gun. I love them, Model 25 Glenfield is what I shoot. It's two days older than god, and a tack driver. My dad has a newer 25 and same deal it shoots great. I've nailed a ton of squirrels with mine and his, as well as keeping the groundhog population in check in my backyard haha.

pittim
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
gonna go to an auction sat mornin near dubois that has a ton of guns...couple marlin 22s i might try to bid on.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=1388491&kwd=&zip=15701&category=0

joshs1ofakindxj
04-16-2012, 10:47 PM
When I should subsonics out of my 10/22 I just cycle the bolt manually. Quick n dirty.

joshs1ofakindxj
04-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Dixie, Ligonier is a haul for you, but you could try some different 22s this weekend out at my place. I could go for some plinking.

DixieJeeper
04-16-2012, 10:59 PM
i wish I could bud but I work Saturdays all the day at the shop till 4, then at Advance 5-9 and all day Sunday 9-5 every weekend.

joshs1ofakindxj
04-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Sheesh sounds like my schedule when I used to work there.

I would have off school Friday-Sunday, so I would work Friday 6am to noon at the college grounds department, then 1pm to close at Advance, Saturday 1pm to close at Advance, and sometime Sunday I would do a closing shift.

It was fun working there most of the time, and I didn't mind closing except in winter when I had to mop the floor every night.

DixieJeeper
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
yea the manger at cranberry and all of the team there is SUPER cool and relax.. its a good place to work but working two part time jobs both at night and one of them making me work every monday and saturday night is killing me.