PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Powerstroke exhaust suggestions (No stacks)

Christopher
04-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I have a 1995 f350 powerstroke 5 speed 4wd. Im looking for some brand suggestions for a free flowing turbo back exhaust. There are quite a few out there from cheap to expensive. I want to buy something that works and is not junk. Any experiences or knowledge appreciated.
I mentioned 5 speed because some manufactures specify automatic only, not sure why exactly
THANKS
Chris

13below0
04-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Straight pipe it. I dont run anything but a turn down. Your not gonna sneak up on anyone i will warn you now. Stainless works stuff is nice but $$$, banks sounds pretty good.

97V10MN
04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
IMO the power stroke and duramax don't sound that great straight piped, a few of my friends tried that with theirs and I didn't care for it at all, just sounded like crap, plus they were annoying as hell if you were trying to have a conversation in it, I'd do a four inch turbo back with a nice muffler, unless your set on straight pipes, but anything over stock should be an improvement for you just depending on how much you'd like to spend and how loud you want it.

atvboo
04-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Cat back wont do much its the pipe from the turbo that really restricts them .my friend bought one i think from rpm outlet cheap went in decent and worked well.

ADuncan888
04-23-2012, 10:55 PM
I always run MBRP exhausts on my trucks. They're def not the cheapest, but well worth the money. And as atvboo said, on that style PS its the down pipe that really hurts those trucks. It looks like an elongated pancake rather than a pipe.

Sometimes the aftermarket down pipes on those things are absolute bastards to install, usually the 5 speeds. I just did one a few months ago on a 5 speed. I had to cut the old down pipe in pieces to get it out. Then I had to cut a casted tab off of the trans, cut the pinch weld off where the firewall meets the floor board and dent that area in, and tweak the down pipe a little. My buddy did one on his auto and it wasn't nearly as bad.

If you go to buy an exhaust, pm me and I'll be able to give you my friends info. He can usually beat any advertised online price and is a dealer for almost every major brand.

Christopher
04-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Im converting to manual in a couple weeks, figured it would be the best time to upgrade exhaust. I was trying to run some sort of muffler, so I did not annoy neighbors at night or the other campers when I pull into a campground.
Thanks keep the tips coming.

atvboo
04-24-2012, 06:36 AM
My buddies down pipe came in 2the pieces and said
it was easy and he is running a stick

highlandercj-7
04-24-2012, 06:52 AM
(No stacks) What no steely dans, no wasted bed space, no over compensation?

97V10MN
04-24-2012, 07:23 AM
(No stacks) What no steely dans, no wasted bed space, no over compensation? AND he actually seems to tow with it unlike most of the big rig wanna bes that run around butler, Sir you are my hero.

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
04-24-2012, 09:19 AM
Stacks are the only way to fly. Keeps all the soot off your truck, and they're quiet (in the cab) when you're straight piped.

ADuncan888
04-24-2012, 06:54 PM
My buddies down pipe came in 2the pieces and said
it was easy and he is running a stick

A 2 piece dp would be nice. I'd highly recommend going this route.

RalphDogg
04-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Get rid of the stock downpipe and the cat and your truck will be happy.

Christopher
04-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Every down pipe I have seen is 2 piece, belive thats the only way it can be to install it without lowering the trans. My trans is coming out so it may be easier yet.

gonecheenin
04-25-2012, 05:36 AM
I always run MBRP exhausts on my trucks. They're def not the cheapest, but well worth the money. And as atvboo said, on that style PS its the down pipe that really hurts those trucks. It looks like an elongated pancake rather than a pipe.

Sometimes the aftermarket down pipes on those things are absolute bastards to install, usually the 5 speeds. I just did one a few months ago on a 5 speed. I had to cut the old down pipe in pieces to get it out. Then I had to cut a casted tab off of the trans, cut the pinch weld off where the firewall meets the floor board and dent that area in, and tweak the down pipe a little. My buddy did one on his auto and it wasn't nearly as bad.

If you go to buy an exhaust, pm me and I'll be able to give you my friends info. He can usually beat any advertised online price and is a dealer for almost every major brand.

^What he said.

MBRP is the exhaust I had on my 97 Powerstroke 5speed - ran it for 4 years & 50,000 miles with zero issues (then sold the truck). Loved the sound, loved the look, LOVED the performance increase! (Mainly quicker spooling & smoother power - plus a couple mpg @ cruise - AND the later added Baby Swamps injectors really worked well with the air & exhaust mods I did)

The turbo downpipe is a pain, but it's basically the only way to fix the biggest issue of the horrible smashed OEM downpipe - then the pipe to the convertor is pretty bad, but the CAT back is even a big improvement imho.

The difference between the Auto downpipe & Stick downpipe is the Auto one goes 4" before the bend, but the stick one must stay 3" until it gets away from the trans bell (like the old style auto ones were) - if they send you the auto downpipe for your 5 speed truck, you'll be hating life. (Ask me how I know)

Christopher
04-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Was yours aluminized or stainless?

gonecheenin
04-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Was yours aluminized or stainless?

Aluminized.

Christopher
04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Mbrp no longer sells a manual down pipe, I called to Ask. I mAy
Have to do some altering and make my own.

Christopher
08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
To update..... I bought a Diamond Eye aluminized downpipe. It was a heavy gage thickness and was nicer than I expected, being the cheapest available. To fit it to the 5 speed I trimmed some casting boss off of the 5 speed, squeezed the upper down pipe in the vice a little so it was not resting on the bellhousing and cleared the firewall seam(after flattining seam). Changing to manual from auto and adding the downpipe I went from 14 mpg to to 18 highway ( light load, 60mph,) very happy.