PDA

View Full Version : How the Gov wrecked the gas an

joshs1ofakindxj
05-22-2012, 08:29 AM
http://lfb.org/today/how-government-wrecked-the-gas-can/

So true...I keep my old metal cans near and dear.

I was ready to make Molotov cocktails the other day when I stopped at a sheetz and pre-paid for $80 worth of kero, then when I went outside and lined up a bunch of old metal red and faded cans they told me they could not be filled because they weren't blue and I was refunded. I told the lady I was going to walmart to get some blue spray paint and I would be back. She just LOLzd.

One guy who watched the whole thing go down told me of a station I could go where he knew I wouldn't have a problem. I appreciated his understanding of my situation.

I went to the small town gas station out around home where I regularly see people filling various metal and plastic non-fuel cans to get fuels home with plastic bags instead of caps haha and was readily accommodated.

Yes, different color cans for different fuels makes sense, but if you're not smart enough to manage three different fluids, how can you be trusted with medicating your children or wiping your ass with toilet paper or not poison ivy or sand paper?

Screw it. If I put gas in my kero bullet heater and blow myself up then that is just a win for evolution.

ridgerunner97
05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
I went in to get Kero the other day and got stopped at a sheetz as well until I showed them I had two Blue Kero cans. I was under the impression the coloring of the cans was in the case of fire that it could be denoted at a glance what was the most volatile, at least thats what I was told...

Azzy
05-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Saw a guy the other day at a get go filling up a 5 gallon bucket... :icon_eyes:

Super Scout
05-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Dont even get me started on that damn gas can law, its assinine. And I never have issues at gas stations its called being sneaky.

ridgerunner97
05-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Saw a guy the other day at a get go filling up a 5 gallon bucket... :icon_eyes:

I get diesel in old 5gal mobil diesel oil buckets at the marathon in irwin and have never been stopped or questioned LOL

Azzy
05-22-2012, 11:08 AM
These looked like drywall buckets at best. Hope he gets them home quick before tehy get eaten by the E10

SirFuego
05-22-2012, 11:40 AM
:shrug:

I just picked up a pushmower at Sears and got one of their 5 gallon cans. It's a piece of cake to use -- easier to use and less messy than "old school" cans I've used since a switch, not gravity, controls the flow. It is of course a bit slower, but not horribly so.

The cashier said they redesigned them to make them easier to use (I have used some of the "new" gas cans before that were a PITA) -- the "pour/storage" switch locks into place, so it's really easy to use. The two handles (one for carrying, one for pouring) are clutch. I can fill my lawnmower and tractor without spilling a drop or cursing it out.
http://www.sears.com/blitz-usa-5-gal-enviro-flo-trade-plus/p-07133175000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Muzikman
05-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Not cheap...but they are the real thing.
http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?products_id=1718

SirFuego
05-22-2012, 12:10 PM
The last paragraph about the "water cans" reminds me of the article that was circulating around the internet a few years ago when the EU outlawed incandescent light bulbs -- leaving millions abandoned in warehouses that legally couldn't be sold. The story goes that a business was selling "heat orbs" for generating heat in a very localized area -- which were nothing more than incandescent bulbs. The article said that, technically, it was legal for them to be marketed/sold as such. I don't know if there was any truth to the article, but something to think about.

Come to think of it, the gov't wrecked our lighting, too. Isn't it 2014 when 100W incandescent bulbs are outlawed?

Super Scout
05-22-2012, 12:22 PM
The ones with the switches are not bad, same with the metal ones, even tho they are really expensive. IMHO. It just pisses me off the governent has to waste our time. The best gas can I have are the ones with the simple flex hose, go as fast or as slow as you wish. No issue.

:shrug:

I just picked up a pushmower at Sears and got one of their 5 gallon cans. It's a piece of cake to use -- easier to use and less messy than "old school" cans I've used since a switch, not gravity, controls the flow. It is of course a bit slower, but not horribly so.

The cashier said they redesigned them to make them easier to use (I have used some of the "new" gas cans before that were a PITA) -- the "pour/storage" switch locks into place, so it's really easy to use. The two handles (one for carrying, one for pouring) are clutch. I can fill my lawnmower and tractor without spilling a drop or cursing it out.
http://www.sears.com/blitz-usa-5-gal-enviro-flo-trade-plus/p-07133175000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Muzikman
05-22-2012, 01:43 PM
I am kind of curious about the "switch". The big thing about the CARB compliant can is the fact that the spout has to automatically close. If there is a spout that has a switch that keeps it open, I am not sure how it's compliant.

I went and bought the deutsche optik cans a couple months ago. They were not cheap, but they are true NATO cans, built well and you can buy a normal spout for them. I got sick of dealing with the CARB compliant spouts.

Super Scout
05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
I believe it is spring loaded, atleast the ones i have used, springs shut you have to hold the switch open to dispense.

ridgerunner97
05-22-2012, 01:57 PM
These No-Spill cans are the one's we sell at work, they are by far the best CARB/EPA can's made. I can take a 5gal one full, tip it up on its side and fill the gas tank on a weedeater or chainsaw and not spill a drop. They are truly impressive. Price isn't horrible either.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/27123_lg.jpg

Azzy
05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
How are they for filling a vehicle though? Takes forever to empty a 5gal into the jeep, I fill them up along with our car when we do our fuelperks run. And can you get just the spouts? I have 5 5gal cans already.

2002wranglerX
05-22-2012, 03:03 PM
i have some of the crappy epa cans. they take FOREVER... well they did... a small screwdriver hole took care of that lol. they fill quickly now, but the mechanism you have to hold is still a pain

JeepSteeler
05-22-2012, 05:30 PM
I believe it is spring loaded, atleast the ones i have used, springs shut you have to hold the switch open to dispense.

Right. I have a couple with the switch. You pull the switch back that allows you to dispense, anytime you release the handle after that, the switch kicks back on and locks out the handle to the closed position. Much better design than those ones that you have to grab and depress the spout and hold it open the entire time. I spill gas with that kind about every time. But the switch spout works just fine.

RalphDogg
05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
I make my own cans by adding a schrader valve, or I buy the race cans from JeepGeneral that are DOT approved and pour nice and fast. I only use Kero in my torpedo heater, and i just take the entire heater to the non-chain pump station.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v601/ralphdogg/052212194402.jpg

sethman15210
05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
I got a couple of "race fuel" cans from summit. They're EPA approved but still empty all five gallons in less than thirty seconds.

SirFuego
05-23-2012, 10:14 AM
I am kind of curious about the "switch". The big thing about the CARB compliant can is the fact that the spout has to automatically close. If there is a spout that has a switch that keeps it open, I am not sure how it's compliant.

I'm mowing my grass tonight, so I'll see if I can remember to take a picture of it. But the process is this:
1) Switch Pour/Storage switch to "Pour" mode.
2) Grab the pouring handle (the one on the back), tilt the can, then grab the spout and position it.
3) Push the button to have gas start coming out.
4) Release the button and the switch automatically goes back into "Storage" mode.

Even if you need to add in a bit more, it's really easy to switch it back into Pour mode without any hassle.

The ones I used previously didn't have a pouring handle, so it wasn't very ergonomic to hold to begin with -- plus you needed to hold the switch as you pressed the pour button, so three hands was often much easier than two. This is a much better design.

I will agree, however, that the spout is ridiculously over-engineered to solve a problem that only became a problem when the gov't tried to fix a problem that never existed.

joshs1ofakindxj
05-23-2012, 11:21 AM
^ Ya those ones aren't too bad. Sounds like the same ones sold at Walmart for $10

gonecheenin
05-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Right. I have a couple with the switch. You pull the switch back that allows you to dispense, anytime you release the handle after that, the switch kicks back on and locks out the handle to the closed position. Much better design than those ones that you have to grab and depress the spout and hold it open the entire time. I spill gas with that kind about every time. But the switch spout works just fine.

The spring loaded push back spout sucks - but the lever actuated ones work great once you break off the lock tab under the handle!

highlandercj-7
05-24-2012, 08:35 AM
The funny thing is the carb spouts spill more fuel than the old school straight spouts. Every style I've seen and used was a royal PIA. I toss the dang spout any more and use a funnel.

The_War_Wagon
05-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Got Jerry Can? :112:

http://www.calarmy.com/containers/cans/gascans/index.html

I get all my ammo cans from them - try to get down there 2x a year. One of these years, I'll go with tax refund in hand, and come home broke - with a truckload of STUFF. :082:

Sloth_Fratelli
05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
we had one at my old job that hat a tab on the nozzle that you rested on a lip and pushed down to open. the plastic tank on our tractor would always flex and give and splash gas all over my fase 4-5 times while i was filling it up. the nozzle was too long to catch the lip on anything on a car so you had to hold that sumbitch back when you wanted to fil that up, that was a hell of a workout with that slow pouring sumbitch