PDA

View Full Version : Excessive oil consumpaiton after header install?

fmlyof4whlrs
05-29-2012, 07:07 PM
I am currently trying to get a handle on the oil consumpation of my 04 TJ with a 4.0. A Borla header, high perfomance cat, and cat back system where all installed in Oct. I hadn't driven much since I was running a company truck, but now it's back to daily driver duty and I have noticed a lot of oil usage. I had a few senors on the intake throw codes (TPS,IAC) and had severe carbon build on on them. I have cleaned them up, cleaned the CCV lines and hoses to the intake, replaced the elbows. It seems to be pulling oil into the intake throw the elbows in the vavle cover. I have tried putting filters into the elbows to catch the oil but allow the pressure to out. That seemed to slow it down but then it started pushing oil out of the oil pump drive/camshaft position sensor. Has anyone else had trouble like this? Could switching form a full sythentic to a blend help?

DixieJeeper
05-30-2012, 12:03 AM
How many miles on your TJ?

When you have excessive oil consumption and oil residue in the intake- you either have a PCV system issue (CCV) like the calibrated orifice is clogged or somone has two normal elbows in the valve cover, blow by/worn rings etc. How much are you consuming? If you don't know change your oil and filter put a fresh filter on and drive it and monitor how much you consume over distance with a peice of tape on the radiator core support. Every fill up check the oil level and record when and how much oil you are using.

to give us an idea how severe it is.

highlandercj-7
05-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Sounds like you may have blow by, could be the piston, the rings or the valves. You may need to do a compression test on the cylinders to see if any of them are bad.

DMG
05-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Definitely do an oil consumption survey. If it sat a long time when you had the company truck the rings could have stuck. A few oil changes and putting regular miles on it may help that.

fmlyof4whlrs
05-30-2012, 05:50 PM
The jeep has about 120,000 miles. I bought it new and ran only synethetic oil changing it every 3000 miles for the first 70,000. Since then it has been changed every 5,000. Jeep has been a daily driver since new in 04. Last April I got a company truck and no longer needed to run it everyday but it still got 50 to 100 miles a week on it from weekend joy rides. Oil seemed fine, until beginning of April when on a wheeling trip I noticed a drop in pressure on angles. Checked the oil and it was low. Since then it has been using 1 quart every 150 to 200 miles. Doesn't seem to smoke out the exhaust, starts easily, and no noticably exterior leaks. I have checked the breathers in the valve cover and replaced both. Cleaned both lines and mainfiold, and air box. Seems to be pulling oil threw the rear breather since that is where I notice most of the oil. Only other changes was header and high performance exhaust put on in Oct. I plan on double checking the compression this weekend but it has seemed fine, no hard starts, no engine codes. This has me puzzled.

DixieJeeper
05-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Holy crap-ola.. 1 at every 150 miles.. you def. got consumption assuming there are no GROSS leaks under it.

Since you noticed it with a loss of oil pressure off road. I am wondering if you starved the pick up and did some scoring or excessive wear.

Toss a compression gauge on it.. run the compression test... see if you got a cylinder or two thats low. If you do squirt some WD40 or a few drops out of an oil can into the combustion chamber in question, rerun the test on that cylinder. If readings go up you got ring/cylinder issues.

If you don't have horrid compression- its time for a teardown- possible excessive clearances from oil starvation causing oil consumption.

fmlyof4whlrs
06-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Well, I did the compression test. 150 psi on all cylinders but 1. It had 90. So it's time to tear down and find out what broke. I am guessing a ring. Not sure why just bad luck I guess.

DixieJeeper
06-05-2012, 10:56 PM
My guess is that you have scored cylinder walls, shot rings, cylinder tapper, broken oil control ring or something of that nature since you didn't mention noise or lack of power that I recall.

fmlyof4whlrs
06-06-2012, 05:23 PM
I am thinking perhaps a broken ring or scored walls or something along that line since it's only one cylinder. It would be odd for the rings to only wear on one piston and not all the others. Just my luck too since I don't have the time, place, or money to get into it right now. It will have to be put on hold for a few weeks.