PDA

View Full Version : My first handgun.

Sycotik Skier
06-07-2012, 10:21 PM
After atleast a year of talking about it I finally bought my first handgun. A smith and wesson Sigma VE in forty caliber. Went straight from Sportsman's supply to the gun range and ran about a hundred rounds through it. I can see this all turning into a sick obsession. Thats the third gun i've bought in the last year plus my new hunting bow. I'm still very wet behind the ears when it comes to shooting hand guns but it sure is fun trying. If I get out work on time tomorrow I'm going to apply for my concealed carry permit. I don't plan on carrying on myself much at all but it was recomended to ease the headache of having to be careful with transporting the gun in my car. Anyone suggest a decent, fair priced holster? throw ideas and preferably links at me. Like I said previously, this is all new to me.

DMG
06-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Go to the Pirate4x4 outdoor section and search for the Doc14 thread on fixing the factory trigger on that thing.

joshs1ofakindxj
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
I found I am extremely more accurate with the heavy trigger like it is so don't be in a hurry to mess with the springs unless you're sucking with it.

JeepSteeler
06-08-2012, 10:10 AM
The trigger is like a DA revolver. You'll get used to it.

I have a Fobus holster for my 9mm version of your gun. It's actually made for a Glock but fits the S&W - I picked this one because I have a light/laser on the rail and wanted the open bottom. Retention is good, you draw kind of away from you rather than up, takes a little getting used to. It is an OWB belt holster - easier to conceal in the fall/winter under a coat. I don't carry this one daily, I have smaller guns for that, the holster is mostly for transport purposes.

http://www.fobusholster.com/products/GLOCK_19_23_32_TACTICAL_HOLSTER-2061-296.html

EDIT - forgot to mention you can find it a lot cheaper than at that first link on other sites, like below.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/fobus-roto-tactical-speed-holster-glock-19-23-32-holds-handgun-with-laser-or-light-gl.html

busij44
06-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Sight alignment ,sight picture, trigger squeeze........the basics of marksmanship. Learn these...practice these(alot) and you will become a shooter with any firearm. There is no substitute for the basics.

Mykal
06-09-2012, 12:12 AM
agreed

PAFirefighter49
06-10-2012, 06:37 AM
What kind of holster are you looking for? I bought a concealed in-waistband holster for my Ruger SR40c, but my intent was concealed carry. I bought a similar holster to this one that I looked up for your gun and I like it a lot. It's really all up to your choice of open carry versus concealed carry and which style you like. I bought mine from an ebay store called Holster World and I'm very happy with my $20 nylon holster, but some people prefer to spend $50+ on a decent leather one. Best advice would be to go to a gun store that sells holsters and check out the different kinds.

DixieJeeper
06-12-2012, 09:57 AM
my CC gun is a KEl Tec Pf11 9MM- its a subcompact that was more concealable for the dynamic situations I am usually I feel than the Glock I really wanted. One other thing that sold me was I had the abilty to replace the frame pins with a wasitband clip and pins. now I can carry my CC gun inside my wasitband without a tradtional holster of in my pocket without it bouncing around.

If you don't have a similar option for your weapon of choice-uncle mikes makes very good medium quality/price holsters. Like a few posters said before you have to find where you are comfortable with carrying and drawing from which will put you towards a holster style too.

psujeepguy
08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
If you aren't going to conceal carry much, I would recommend a paddle holder. They are very comfortable and surprisingly stable as long as you get a good one. If you don't like that idea, go with a traditional belt holster for the range and open carry. You also need to decide if you want leather, composite, or nylon. I would recommend Blackhawk (http://www.blackhawk.com/) for composite and Galco (http://www.usgalco.com/). I don't recommend nylon holsters. Holsters are like guns - you get what you pay for. Do your research, and don't buy something just because it is cheap; there is a lot of garbage out there. When you do find a holster that fits your needs, don't forget about amazon.com.