PDA

View Full Version : Dana Diff Swap

97V10MN
06-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Im hopefully trading my axles (3:55) to a friend of mine for his (4:10) as he has another truck as a dedicated hauler. I'm planning to swap the front axles but the rear is going to be difficult as his is a dually and mines single wheel. Both are dana 80s but my question is we should be able to just swap the whole gear/carrier assemblies around correct? Unbolt the carrier bearings, pop carrier out, taking care to keep the shims seperate, unbolt the pinion, then reinstall in reverse order, making sure to run a pattern and see if extra shims are in order? Anyone who can shed some light is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
06-15-2012, 07:02 AM
You'll have to set-up the rear again. Housings are never exactly the same. That's why they have shims. I'm pretty sure the shims are behind the bearings on an 80. So if your backlash or pattern is junk, you have to pull the bearings (hard to do without damaging them) to add or remove shims. Get a new crush sleeve and pinion nut for the pinion also.

BUZZINHALFDOZZEN
06-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Check that the driver side bearing doesn't spin on the carrier. They're good for that.

joshs1ofakindxj
06-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Plan on going through the motions for setting up used gears. Checking backlash, pre-load, contact pattern, etc. I think Bill Vista has a good write up on Pirate for setting up used gears. Just google setting up used gears and read away.

dan58
06-15-2012, 08:54 PM
I can't remember width on them, but what about swapping hubs on the D80?