PDA

View Full Version : Poopy XJ AC, suggestions?

HeepH8erTy
06-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Well, the AC in my XJ is pretty shitty to say the least. I got one of those AC Pro recharge kits at lunch today and tried to recharge my AC. Put the gauge on it with the truck runnin and AC at full blast. Gauge said i was was wayy undercharged. The kit said that I would probably put the whole can in. So i squeeze the trigger on it for a couple seconds then let off to see where I was at, and I think its sayin I overcharged it? As soon as I let off, the gauge went right up to where it was saying max pressure before it was overcharged, then it sounded like a relay clickin or something (Im guessing its the ac compressor kickin off?) and the needle on the gauge went all the back down to zero, then back up again and it kept doing that. Anyone know if this indicates a problem or something? Should I keep putting refrigerant in? Its blowin kinda cool air out now, but not really enough to make me happy.

DMG
06-20-2012, 02:12 PM
The guages that come with those kits are junk. Get someone to put a real guage on it. Also, make sure the electric fan comes on with the ac.

Or if you are feeling lucky, keep charging it until it is cold and the ac quits cycling.

HeepH8erTy
06-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I dont think the gauge is the issue tho, i mean when the gauge went way up, something was definitly kicking on, whether it was the ac pump or the fan, I dont know, i guess i'll hafta look when i get home and have more than 10 minutes to mess with it lol. when the gauge dropped down to zero was when i heard that kick off. When the AC is on, is the fan or pump or whatever I was hearing kick on suppose to kick on for a little, shut off, kick on for a little, shut off, etc... or should the fan and the ac pump always be running when the ac is on?

P.S. what would happen if i just put half or 3/4's of the bottle in there and happened to overcharge it a good bit? Would something go boom?

joshs1ofakindxj
06-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Just make removeable doors.

PatF10
06-20-2012, 03:37 PM
was your compressor turning on before you added anything? I just charged my brothers ZJ. At first the compressor wouldnt come on at all due to it being to low on refrigerant. Once i got some in it started cycling and then it remained on. Also make sure you have the little arrow on the guage pointed right.

HeepH8erTy
06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I just got home and was checking it out, the pump kinda kicks on for a little, stops, randomly. its almost like its tryin to come on but cant, maybe its just low, i'll try adding more. The electric fan also wasnt on when i had the ac on full blast, i dunno if that means anything?

beat1078
06-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I just got home and was checking it out, the pump kinda kicks on for a little, stops, randomly. its almost like its tryin to come on but cant, maybe its just low, i'll try adding more. The electric fan also wasnt on when i had the ac on full blast, i dunno if that means anything?

That is what happens when it is low.
Add more, be careful. Overcharging is bad.

Someone should have some good gauges around here that they can hook up while you do it real quick. I use the one that came with the kit but it didn't start working right until the compressor kicked on and stayed on. Then I was able to see if I needed more. If it is that low you may have to use another can.

HeepH8erTy
06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
Alright, i got er figured out. I put about a half a can in and the compressor stayed on. The rest of the can was enough to get it were the gauge said i was good. It blows cold now, im a happy camper. Thanks for ur input.

XJchris98
06-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Have you used your AC much in the past? If not, there's a chance that the clutch on the AC compressor is worn/wearing out or corroded. The starting/randomly stopping/restarting symptom sounds common to this.

You can grab a set of feeler gauges and check the gap between the "clutch plate" on the compressor, Sanden has a spec on what that gap should be. Chances are; the clutch gap is out of spec or so corroded it’s not grabbing every time. I think I still have a PDF of the Sanden service manual at home I can send you later tonight that explains how to check all this and service if necessary.

If thats not the issue, you could have a bad high/low pressure switch forcing the system not to work.

HeepH8erTy
06-20-2012, 06:32 PM
no i havent used it much in the past cause it never worked and i was too damn lazy to recharge it. Its running good now, i think everything is ok with it

5 SPD XJs
06-20-2012, 08:54 PM
It still working in about a week will tell you if you got a leak or not.(probably why it didnt work before) If you're lucky it will work the rest of the year to do this again next year. Make sure the aux fan works or it'll overheat like said already

DixieJeeper
06-24-2012, 08:54 PM
just FYI- they like to leak at the evap core on late model XJ's. I have a "good" used evap core. If you are handy- you can have the dash out in 2 hours, down to the box by hour 3, new evap and accum in and box back in by hour 4 and dash soon to follow. i did mine in under 5 hours in my driveway so I maybe add an hour or two if you you aren't accustom to dash work/pro wrench. last body style XJ's are a a CAKE walk to pull the dash... not much harder in first gens but the dash has alot more screwed on trim and bezels.

HeepH8erTy
06-25-2012, 07:31 AM
while I am handy and could swap it out, im a little bit more lazy and would rather just put a can of r134a in with "leak stopper" every summer than mess with something that doesnt really need fixed haha thank you tho for your FYI, if I cared enough, id probably do that.

HeepH8erTy
06-29-2012, 07:35 AM
sooo when I was driving yesterday with the AC on full blast, the heep overheated. So i pull over, shut er down and put the heat on full blast. cooled down to 210, drove it home with the heat on full blast and it was fine. drove it a lil while later and it ran fine with no heat on. The reason I think this happened was my aux fan isnt comin on when my AC is on. Isnt it suppose to always be on when the AC is on? I figured its either that, or the thermostat is stuck, but it did drive fine later with no AC on. Before i start tearing into to it tryin to figure out why the fan wont come on, does anyone know if there are any common reasons why the fan wont come on? relay went bad or something?

ridgerunner97
06-29-2012, 07:42 AM
^ Check for the wiring rubbed through over along the top of the radiator on the driver's side as it goes under a panel or shield, my 97 wore through there a looong while ago...

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/560298_3349974916458_1097130496_n.jpg

HeepH8erTy
06-29-2012, 07:45 AM
alright i'll check that out, thanks. Also, i forgot to add, the fuse for the fan is good, i did check that real quick

DixieJeeper
07-20-2012, 11:46 PM
.... Also, make sure the electric fan comes on with the ac. ......

Like a prophet....

Check the pigtail for the electric fan under the airbox they like to corrode there too.