PDA

View Full Version : PGH AC shops?

Azzy
07-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Anyone got a recommendation for an AC shop? My Saturn's compressor clutch went out some time ago and I just replaced it. System wants to work, compressor kicks on, but doesn't get very cold. I figure its time for a purge and charge.

Good place round the southern end of the city to go?

HeepH8erTy
07-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Did you try doin a recharge on it? Could save ya a few bucks before you pay someone to look at it. You can do it yourself for around 20 or 30 bucks

Azzy
07-17-2012, 07:54 AM
I tried one of those recharge cans, but it did not seem to do much, as teh system was already in the "ok" mark on the vague gauge. Not sure how the gauge can tell about the oil level inside though.

HeepH8erTy
07-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Well the gauge tells you how much pressure is in the system, that is how you know how much is in there. I dont know exactly what you mean by oil level though. But anyways, if you tried that already, maybe you should take it to a shop then. I dont know of any so i guess im not much help to ya lol

2002wranglerX
07-17-2012, 11:56 AM
is the compressor kicking on?

if it's kicking on and off a lot then you still need to add more coolant. I know some of the cans say not to but i turn them upside down and it empties in real quick lol. seems to work well for me.

Azzy
07-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Kicks on and stays on, just doenst get cold. Before I wouldnt kick on at all, the clutch coil was toast, so it has sat for about 5 years with no circulation.

DMG
07-17-2012, 02:27 PM
You need to pull a vacuum on it to get the air and moisture out of it. Then it should be charged with guages or a machine to get the right pressures. Also, check that the electric fan is running when the ac is on.

2002wranglerX
07-17-2012, 02:34 PM
You need to pull a vacuum on it to get the air and moisture out of it. Then it should be charged with guages or a machine to get the right pressures. Also, check that the electric fan is running when the ac is on.

Yup. Sounds like you need a shop. If its kicking on and staying on.

I've been lucky and gotten away without having to pull vacume.

HeepH8erTy
07-17-2012, 03:25 PM
x2 on that electric fan. dave said that to me when my ac was messing up and I overlooked it... ended up overheating on me on one of those days that it was over 100 degrees outside lol i shoulda listened