PDA

View Full Version : M-57 Tokarev opinions?

HeepH8erTy
07-18-2012, 11:47 AM
I'm gonna go look at one after work today at a local gun shop. A couple guys I work with have been talking about how much they love their tokarev's and cz-52's because they are cheap, reliable and accurate for the cost, and they love the power and price of the 7.62x25 rounds (like 130 bucks for 1300 rounds!) The one I'm going to look at, they have for $125 bucks. The blueing on the slide is wearing off pretty good around all the sharp edges but I figured I could always get it re-blued or duracoated (lime green :078:...kidding haha). Just wanted it cause it seemed like a fun gun to play around with, I wouldn't carry it or anything like that. Anyone have or are familiar with them or the 7.62x25 round? Things I should look for when I go look at it to make sure its not a piece of shit?

shooter207
07-19-2012, 08:01 AM
There is nothing wrong with a Torakev. Just don't expect it to be a 1911.:D

The 7.62x25 is a reasonably powerful round. With the heft of the gun, it recoils about like a standard sized 9mm.

Different countries made them, given a choice I would I would buy a Russian made one.

Doesn't really sound like a deal to me. Rumor is that you can get an unused one (New old stock in cosmoline) for around $200, so I would hesitate to buy one with obvious wear for $125.

If your heart is set on it, make sure the slide racks smoothly. Insert an empty mag, rack the slide, it should stay back. Remove the magazine and press the slide stop down, the slide should snap forward. Put the safety on and squeeze the trigger, the gun should not dry fire. Turn the safety off and squeeze the trigger, the gun should dry fire.

OF COURSE, TREAT IT AS IF IT WERE LOADED! ALWAYS POINT IT IN A SAFE DIRECTION. More people are accidentally wounded by "empty guns" than "loaded guns".

Do a google search, lots of info out there. Also, I would NOT use wolf gold ammo in a M-57. That ammo is a bit more powerful than others and may cause damage to teh pistol, especially if shot alot. The recoil spring in particular was not stiff enough for that round.

HeepH8erTy
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Lol yea, i know that it obviously is not a super high quality or modern firearm. The main reason I wanted it was because of the cartridge and the price.

I don't think you get a brand new one for less than 250 or 300, if you can even find one by what I was reading on some forums after a google search.

I played with it yesterday at the gun shop, everything operates smoothly and is still tight. This one i am assuming was previously issued, so it would have some history behind it which may not be worth anything, but it is kinda cool when you think about it. Everything on the inside as far as I can tell looks to be in nice shape, no nicks or scrapes inside or out, no signs of corrosion, the feed ramp is still in nice shape. I mean everywhere I've read, if you can find one in any condition for 200 bucks or less, you are getting a damn good deal.

I've also read about the ammo. I guess different countries manufactured the round differently. I think it may be Bolivia or Bulgaria or something (I cant recall off hand) had a hotter load for a machine gun they manufactured and those should not be fired through the M-57. I'm pretty sure that those ones are the only one's I cant shoot out of it.

I think I may go pick this sucker up after I get off work today. A box of ammo is even included with the purchase, so I'll even get to shoot it tonight. I'll post up how she shoots.

HeepH8erTy
07-19-2012, 10:36 AM
I stand corrected http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-GM57

joshs1ofakindxj
07-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Spend a few more bucks and get a sigma series S&W in 9mm.

I bought a cheap gun or two thinking it would be fun and it usually didn't turn out well. The mosin is the only great gun deal out there anymore IMO.

HeepH8erTy
07-19-2012, 01:07 PM
I dunno man, all i've been reading is good things about the gun. Everyone that has one seems to like it.

shooter207
07-19-2012, 04:31 PM
High point makes some cheap reliable guns. Ugly, but servicable.

The nice thing about something like a Torakev is they make nice additions to a collection. Not everyone has one.

HeepH8erTy
07-20-2012, 08:26 AM
High point makes some cheap reliable guns. Ugly, but servicable.

The nice thing about something like a Torakev is they make nice additions to a collection. Not everyone has one.

This is certainly different, and kinda slightly resembles a 1911. I read somewhere that the design was influenced by the Browning 1911 design

I'm thinkin for this guy, Im gonna duracoat the slide an OD Green, maybe the WWII shade, add a compensator, and put a curved bottom on the clip for quicker and easier removal. I'd also like to do something about the grips, but I dunno if thats gonna happen, they attach weird and I doubt I can find anything cool to replace. Maybe switch the sights out for something cooler too

Here's some pics of the sucker

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561368_3368629382682_425938851_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/564133_3368629622688_430774693_n.jpg

9x18 Makarov, .45Auto, 7.62x25 Tokarev... Pretty cool little round!
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/217847_3368629542686_2079386959_n.jpg

Slight resemblance to a 1911...
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561245_3368629222678_930001907_n.jpg

2002wranglerX
07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
why not send it out and have it nickel plated or hard chromed?

HeepH8erTy
07-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Ehh, its not really worth it. If i do that, I'll prob have more money in the plating process than I do in the gun already lol. I only paid 125 for it, nickel plating would probably end up being close to 75 or 100 bucks I bet. That would be really sweet tho. I just wanna do a couple cool little cheap things to make it look nice, its really not worth much and I'm kinda excited to try out the duracoat too

HeepH8erTy
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
So, i shot the tokarev this weekend. Loved it! grouped pretty well at about 20 yards. The little bugger is LOUD, which is pretty cool also. People that I know that live about a mile away said they heard me shooting it and sounded like i was wrappin off rifle rounds or something lol Doesn't have too much of a kick, which I was kinda surprised about, a little less than my .45 does. Its probably because of the weight of it. I also had my heep with me back in the woods were I was shooting. I was standing about 10 feet away from the jeep with my back to it and this thing was throwing casings over my head right onto the roof of the heep lol.

All in all, its a pretty sweet gun, fun to shoot, accurate, shoots a nasty little round, and I for sure will be able to get at least 125 bucks worth of fun out of it. If you see one cheap and consider buying one, I'd recommend it.

Azzy
07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
My biggest issues with the m57:

Hard to find HP ammo.
stupid add on safety because of ATF rules
and the magazine "safety" prevents a clean drop of the hammer which is the only way to fit it in the holster.

That and with the old bulgarian i have been shooting, got to clean the snot out of it every time.

HeepH8erTy
07-24-2012, 07:47 AM
the Yugo M57 actually has the factory added safety which stops the trigger and doesnt fall out. I think your talking about the russian TT-33. Those ones have the crappily made and installed safeties for the ATF rules that always falls out and I think locks the slide, a guy I work with has one. The M57 is an improved upon design and holds one more round.

I originally bought it cause I wanted to shoot the retarded cheap surplus ammo (which is corrosive but im in the habit of cleaning my shit everytime i shoot regardless of what i put thru it). Now i guess its getting a little harder to find, i'll hafta wait for another shipment to be imported to the states. The last two boxes I put thru it were sellier bellot's and I paid 23 bucks a box for it at the local gun shop. Kinda on the pricey side but not too awful bad, it is a good brass non corrosive round.

Mine also didn't come with the factory holster (which i probably wouldnt use anyways) so I just got the same leather one I have for my 1911 and it works out just fine with the hammer not all the way down.

Do you have a m57? and what bulgarian do you have? cz?

HeepH8erTy
07-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Well, I just wanted to say, I put about 100 rounds thru the M57 yesterday. I'm getting more use to the gun and I tell you what, I love this thing. I cant believe it was only 125 bucks! I'm getting damn accurate with it. Just wanted yinz to know, it's a sweet lil pistol

Azzy
07-26-2012, 12:38 PM
They are sweet. Im out of bulgiarian at the moment, and just cracked a polish case, its been feeding and shooting fine. Still dirty as all hell, but thats mercuric primers for you.

HeepH8erTy
07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Yes they are. Do you have a good source for getting a butt load of surplus rounds for cheap? Guys i work with were buying 1300 rounds and they came to about 11 cents a piece. I havent been able to find them for anywhere close to that on the web.