PDA

View Full Version : New to the forums.. Any place like this near PGH?

DesertSand
08-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Hey guys, I'm trying to find a place near PGH that I can "camp" out of my FJ. Ideally it'd be somewhere I can pull up , set out the tent/hammock, etc Start a fire and enjoy the evening.

A friend from the board, I don't know his SN.. mentioned Raccoon Creek and Moraine.

Any ideas? The Perseid Meteor shower is coming up next weekend!

Muzikman
08-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Both Raccoon and Moraine are just State Parks. You can not camp at either one except at designated campgrounds (which Moraine does not have one). This is the case at all State Parks as far as I am aware.

There are designated Motorized Camping spots in most of the PA State Forests.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/recreation/camping/index.htm

oros35
08-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Raccoon is just about in my back yard. They have a designated campground. Doesn't really sound like what you are looking for though although I'm not sure. You can camp out of your FJ there but you will be in a camp site with other campers around.

I can't think of any other place around that allows overnight camping, that is not a campground or private property.

I do know of a number of places that are private property that I have camped in the bed of my truck. Both legal and probably not so legally. How near PGH are you looking?

DMG
08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Yes

DesertSand
08-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Raccoon is just about in my back yard. They have a designated campground. Doesn't really sound like what you are looking for though although I'm not sure. You can camp out of your FJ there but you will be in a camp site with other campers around.

I can't think of any other place around that allows overnight camping, that is not a campground or private property.

I do know of a number of places that are private property that I have camped in the bed of my truck. Both legal and probably not so legally. How near PGH are you looking?

Doesn't matter, I'll drive for a bit. We did stay at Racoon this past weekend. Not exactly what I was looking for, but it was still nice. We shut off the cell phones and enjoyed a night out.

Muzikman
08-14-2012, 10:01 AM
If you want to drive a bit and see an amazing night sky, head up to Cherry Springs State Park. You'll have others around you and you have to camp in the designated camp ground, but it's a dark sky park.