PDA

View Full Version : Need a SMALL carry gun... Suggestions/thoughts

2002wranglerX
08-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I mean SMALL. i'm thinking keltec .380. i have a bunch of others that i carry (fn-P9, full size 1911, ruger .38, S&W .40, Bersa thunder .380) but they're all pretty big. I'm kicking around a keltec .380 but there's rants EVERYWHERE on the web about them....

any other suggestions?

2002wranglerX
08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/936259217/Guns/Pistols/Beretta-Pistols/Polymer-frame/Beretta_PX4_9MM_SUB_COMPACT.htm

any thoughts on those?

MemorEsto
08-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Check out this thread: http://pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?18597-Ruger-LCR Last I knew they were one of the lightest guns on the market.

2002wranglerX
08-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Check out this thread: http://pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?18597-Ruger-LCR Last I knew they were one of the lightest guns on the market.

oh i forgot about those! and i'm a fan of the revolver too

Super Scout
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Ruger LCR will be my next carry gun. My buddy just bought a Smith Wesson .380, looks like a mini M&P, tiny ass gun. Nice trigger pull than a keltec. The gun is about the size of a wallet very tiny.

2002wranglerX
08-13-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm going to have to go check some out. I think i might sell my bersa to help fund it... i really should sell the 1911... but i really like it lol

DMG
08-13-2012, 03:26 PM
I love my S&W 642. They can be had for 400 from CDNN and sometimes locally. If you want to try it let me know. I have Wolfe springs in it and it shoots really nice.

And I have a Keltec P32 I will sell you cheap!

2002wranglerX
08-13-2012, 03:42 PM
I love my S&W 642. They can be had for 400 from CDNN and sometimes locally. If you want to try it let me know. I have Wolfe springs in it and it shoots really nice.

And I have a Keltec P32 I will sell you cheap!

i like that smith a lot. I have a soft spot in my heart for revolvers....

pittim
08-13-2012, 07:25 PM
CZ Rami?

jlovbasz3
08-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Diamondback DB380 or DB9. S&W Bodyguard 380 or Shield 9mm.

Meeke
08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
I have a Ruger LC9 that I really like. The long trigger pull takes some getting used to though.

tjblair
08-13-2012, 09:16 PM
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p238-equinox.aspx
This is what my wife carries. Great gun never had an issue with it. We looked at the ruger it just wasn't a good fit. And I wasn't impressed with how sloppy the slide was. I also liked the REAL sights on the sig better.

2002wranglerX
08-13-2012, 11:11 PM
http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p238-equinox.aspx
This is what my wife carries. Great gun never had an issue with it. We looked at the ruger it just wasn't a good fit. And I wasn't impressed with how sloppy the slide was. I also liked the REAL sights on the sig better.

Neat gun but I want something double action as well. Cocked and locked in my pocket makes me nervous.

DixieJeeper
08-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I carry a KelTec PF11 9mm subcompact as my "every day- in any pocket-without a holster no matter what I wear" gun. - It replaced my G22 .40 full frame as in the summer the glock looked like I was wearing a brick on my hip or back. I debated going with a baby glock 19 (?) but went with the Keltec over anyother subcompact CC gun.

Cons:

*Only one I have is that it has a crappy trigger pull. This can be fixed with a trigger job it seems some P11's were produced with a stiffer trigger spring then they switched to a lighter spring recently to correct- or you can practice with it I figure if I am going to use my CC I will likely be at 10 yards or closer anyhow. That being said it is a bit snapper than a normal subcompact due to the trigger pull. Its simple fix that I just havent done it yet.

Pros:

*its small and for a big dude like you and me- it isn't so small as to get lost in my hands or bite the web of my hand while shooting. Some of the .380's I shot the slide would tend to bite me.

*I can wear the gun holsterless in in shorts of any nature without a holster if need be and it isn't noticable at all

*I also modified it with Keltec's optional frame mounted "money clip" holster- you knock out the lower half's reciever pins and insert two rods that attach a their frame mounted "money clip" and you can wear the gun in your pocket and it looks like a money clip or a pocket knife clip, I have even used it to wear in the small of my back without a holster

*Cost walked out around $225 with paper work locally

Here is a good non duchee review and good comparision
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWY0Go9Q5U&feature=related

HeepH8erTy
08-14-2012, 07:48 AM
My old man has a Taurus TCP, its a pretty nice gun, stainless slide, really small, shoots nice. Wouldnt mind having one myself. When he bought his samurai off his buddy, his buddy had shot his TCP and wanted it as part of the sale, so he threw it in for 500 bucks off the sami. My dad went and bought another one the next day for something like 200 bucks cause he liked it so much.

HoodRN
08-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Get a VersaMax2 from Milt Sparks www.miltsparks.com and pack that 1911. I carry my issue Glock 31 off-duty in one. It's very comfortable, and conceals under a t-shirt. I have one for a full-size 1911 if you'd like to road test it. I only carry my 442 in case my service pistol poops the bed.

JeepSteeler
08-14-2012, 09:31 PM
I have a S&W BG .380 that i like very much, easy to carry and has nice sights. Pretty accurate too all things considered.

I happen to have a Ruger LCP .380 semi auto with a Crimson Trace Laserguard installed, extra mag, holster, lock, original box etc I'd be willing to part with if you are interested. Excellent condition. PM me if you want to discuss/take a look at it. It's a nice little gun that is easy to conceal, reliable. Won't win any beauty contests but it goes bang every time.

Thumper144
08-15-2012, 04:03 PM
probably not what you had in mind(regarding the other guns you mentioned) , but when you said SMALL the first thing that comes to mind is NAA http://northamericanarms.com/firearms.html most of the revolvers can easily fit in an adult's palm. Revolvers are 22 short, long, and magnum. semis in 25, 32, and 380 caliber. very well made for the price. some come with belt clips that fold into grips then back again. BTW I have the 22long/magnum revolver which will accept either shell with the easy change of the cylinder. reasonably accurate too...have never checked out their semis though. Let us know what you decide.

The_War_Wagon
08-18-2012, 11:04 AM
J-frame .357 snubby. I carry 125gr. .38 +P JHP's in mine, for say a quick trip to the local Stop 'n' Rob after sundown. It's easy to carry in my shorts pocket (I have an inside-the-pocket-holster for it, too), and light for summer carry.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_7599.jpg

DMG
08-18-2012, 08:34 PM
That is not a J Frame. That is a Taurus. S&W made the J frame.

KUGS
08-19-2012, 12:34 AM
DixieJeeper just about sums it up with me. Ive had mine for at least five years. Had a problem at first but with there life time warranty i sent it back the took care of it and updated some other stuff and sent it back free of charge.

The_War_Wagon
08-19-2012, 07:17 AM
That is not a J Frame. That is a Taurus. S&W made the J frame.

Technically correct. It's a Taurus model 605 - made on the S&W tooling there in Brazil when Taurus took over it in the '70's. I should have said "J-frame sized." Thank you for the correction.

DMG
08-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Technically correct. It's a Taurus model 605 - made on the S&W tooling there in Brazil when Taurus took over it in the '70's. I should have said "J-frame sized." Thank you for the correction.

That has to be good news for people looking for holsters and grips. There are a ton of J-frames out there and you can get anything for them.

XJ_Sean
08-20-2012, 12:37 AM
new "diamond back" 9mm

modeled after a glock

awesome gun, google it

DMG
08-20-2012, 08:56 AM
The diamondback 380 got pretty good reviews. Their 9 is supposed to be terrible.

Azzy
08-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Ive heard mixed about all the DB guns. reliability isnt the greatest.

If you just are looking for size, the LCP beats out the LCR by a bit. The LCR isnt all that much lighter than some of the jframe options out there either, and its still kinda big. BUt, the LCP sucks to shoot enough to get good at shooting it at distance.

(I know people say its a belly gun, but I would rather stop the threat on my life before they get that damn close)

DMG
08-20-2012, 02:05 PM
The S&W 642 is hard to beat.

HoodRN
08-20-2012, 07:51 PM
The S&W 642 is hard to beat.

This. I pretty much ALWAYS have my 442 on me. And a Glock. Or a 1911.

JeepSteeler
08-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Ive heard mixed about all the DB guns. reliability isnt the greatest.

If you just are looking for size, the LCP beats out the LCR by a bit. The LCR isnt all that much lighter than some of the jframe options out there either, and its still kinda big. BUt, the LCP sucks to shoot enough to get good at shooting it at distance.

(I know people say its a belly gun, but I would rather stop the threat on my life before they get that damn close)

Agree about the LCR. And it holds 5 rounds vs. the LCP's 6+1. I've shot the LCR plenty and it isn't very comfortable to shoot. May as well go with a J frame if revolver is the preferred option you are right about that. The LCP does take some time to get used to, but overall I'd take it over the LCR all things considered. Much slimmer profile too. The only pro it has over the LCP is it can shoot .38+P whereas you cannot (well Ruger advises against anyway) shoot .380+P out of the LCP.

Lumpy
08-22-2012, 09:07 AM
I picked up an LCP for the wife for Christmas last year and she loves it!!! Nice lil gun and very easy to carry.

I just recently purchased a Walther PPK/S for my CC which is a much easier CC then my .40

I'm very happy with the LCP, just my few thoughts.

JeepSteeler
08-23-2012, 08:02 AM
About that PPK/S - I've heard it's a great little gun but can be a meat eater on occasion and nip your hand. I have large hands - have you had any issues with that gun biting?

I'm looking for another just to add to my collection for no good reason. Looking at that PPK/s, the Beretta PX4 compact, and the S&W Shield (latter 2 in 9mm). Curious to hear your thoughts on the PPK/s (sorry for the semi-thread hijack).

Lumpy
08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Well to be honest I have not shot it yet...Too damn busy to get out, I'm not real happy about it.

I don't see how it would pinch ya you'd really have to have a horrible grip to get it up that high, I think it would be rather uncomfortable as well.

As for the LCP it's a little small for me but I can shoot it, I just would not like to go through a box with it.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww149/lumpy_91/Guns/2012-07-26_20-13-56_458.jpg

HoodRN
08-23-2012, 09:22 PM
I hope you have better luck with your PPK than I had with mine. Mine went back to Interarms twice with a broken transfer bar. After the second trip it was traded on a 1911. Any gun is better than no gun at all, but if you're going to carry one of these little pocket guns, become VERY skilled in it's use. I've seen a few bullet wounds caused by handgun rounds, and there isn't much margin for error with the little guys. Or handguns in general, for that matter.

JeepSteeler
08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the PPK. I shoot probably 200 rounds a month through my S&W BG .380. Got the that "point and shoot" level of skill with it from about 20 yds and in (i don't flitz with the laser much). I gotta say it's not uncomfortable to shoot at all. The worst part is reloading really. Good advice though Hood, I drag my wife to the range every month too and basically make her practice. It's part of the responsiblity of carrying IMHO.