PDA

View Full Version : 97 Cherokee Problems

97V10MN
08-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Ok gentleman, specifically the XJ crowd, my 97 Xj is havin some electric problems, mainly dealing with the AW4, it seems to be hunting gears and down shifting at random, I looked on diffrent sites, did thier recomended tests such as disconnect the tcu, readjust the tv cable and such, with the tcu disconnected it drove fine, shifted with the selector, didn't slip. Reconnected the Tcu and it started messing up again. Checked codes with the key and got a few codes: 12, 22, 45, &66. 12 is the battery which I replaced a few weeks ago, 22 is the coolant sensor, not sure why it came on? I did disconnect it last night for about two hours? Code 66 is saying that the TCU is not sending signal to PCM. Im pretty sure this is why its acting funny but I'm not sure how to go about it? Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? I'm going to borrow a code scanner tonight also, not sure if it can give me more specific codes or not. Any help is appreciated

sethman15210
08-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Sounds like a tcu to me. Believe me it's a common problem on the newer xj. Fortunately it's a simple fix, pull the box out from behind the glove box and replace it. If you look behind the globe box there's two boxes, the tcu is the one that's about 4"x6". Just unplug and replace. Tcu are usually cheap at the yards, or 25 at Davies. No one knows why they randomly mess up, they just do.

Azzy
08-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Check your throttle position sensor. If its out of whack, then the TCU doesn't know when to shift. If you replace it, avoid the auto-zone or other cheapies, the Napa gets good reviews, as does OEM Chrysler.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/how-test-tps-610386/#post5747016

97V10MN
08-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Check your throttle position sensor. If its out of whack, then the TCU doesn't know when to shift. If you replace it, avoid the auto-zone or other cheapies, the Napa gets good reviews, as does OEM Chrysler.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/how-test-tps-610386/#post5747016 I actually replaced the tps and also ran a seperate ground after reading about some people having problems with the factory ground setup. I called just a few junk yards around my house and Davey's and no one has a 97, I called jeep and they said it had to be a 97 to work, does any one happen to know where theres a 97 being parted out?

Azzy
08-25-2012, 01:05 AM
Replaced, but have you tested? One other place to check, Ive heard of issues coming from a shorted O2 sensor lead. Give those a look see and see if you arent shorting out on the block.

97V10MN
09-01-2012, 05:16 AM
Sounds like a tcu to me. Believe me it's a common problem on the newer xj. Fortunately it's a simple fix, pull the box out from behind the glove box and replace it. If you look behind the globe box there's two boxes, the tcu is the one that's about 4"x6". Just unplug and replace. Tcu are usually cheap at the yards, or 25 at Davies. No one knows why they randomly mess up, they just do. Davies did not have one, its actually located on the driver side tranny hump, I did find one on ebay so It should be here by the time I'm home this week. Hopefully that fixes it, if not have you ever looked into the aftermarket transmission control units?

97V10MN
09-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Replaced, but have you tested? One other place to check, Ive heard of issues coming from a shorted O2 sensor lead. Give those a look see and see if you arent shorting out on the block. I'll have to check the 02 sensors when I get home, also how do you check the tps?