PDA

View Full Version : Trailer bearing Adjustment

Super Scout
08-27-2012, 06:01 PM
I am in the process of doing some maintenance work on my trailer, adjusting brakes, bearings, paint, whatever. Well I took all the bearings out to regrease them and when I went to put them in I decided to google the proper way. I am used to setting up bearings on a front end (Scout) and usually tighten the spindle nut so far, than back it off. But according to the dexter manual.

1.) Tighten the spindle nut to approx 50 ft pounds
2.) Back spindle nut off to release torque.
3.) Hand tighten spindle nut
4.) Loosen spindle nut so cotter pin lines up.

It actually states in the manual, that the the spindle nut should be free to turn, with the only thing holding it in place being the cotter pin. Is it me or does that seem shaky ? Any thoughts, do it the way I always do it ? Or go by the manual, normally I wouldn't question the people who made it, and maybe its stupid that I am but it just doesn't seem right.

Info found here : http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/6-8K_Service_Manual_1-12/Hubs_Drums_and_Bearings_1-12.pdf

joe_and_jeep
08-27-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't put any preload on my spindle nuts. It don't sound shaky to me. It's what I do and I work at a heavy truck garage.

gonecheenin
08-28-2012, 06:18 AM
I always preload mine a bit, but not heavily - just a light snug with pliers to take the slop out so you still have room for the bearing preload to tighten up once they get warm.

shooter207
08-28-2012, 08:08 AM
The manual is correct. One more thing, there should be a washer between the nut and the bearing. The washer should have a tab that engages the keyway of the spindle. This washer is what keeps the bearing from turning the nut. The cotter pin keeps other vibration from turning the nut.

Super Scout
08-28-2012, 08:56 AM
There is a washer, but no key way on spindle. Just a regular washer.

shooter207
08-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Sounds odd to me, I've never seeen one without a keyway and a washer that engaged it.