PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter supressor

Sloth_Fratelli
10-21-2012, 11:26 PM
so im newer to shooting, so slap me if this is a big fat R but this is the mose awesome/redneck thing ive ever seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs

ridgerunner97
10-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Spotted that a few days ago too haha.

DMG
10-22-2012, 10:11 AM
I want one. We need to get rid of the tax stamp bs. That would be incentive enough to make me learn to run our lathe well enough to thread a few barrels and make a few of those.

PatF10
10-22-2012, 10:28 AM
can make one out of a briggs and stratton engine muffler. The straight through kind, works well and isnt as big. Or couse i dont believe its legal so i would never do it...

MemorEsto
10-22-2012, 10:34 AM
can make one out of a briggs and stratton engine muffler. The straight through kind, works well and isnt as big. Or couse i dont believe its legal so i would never do it...

Nice disclaimer.

JEEPIN/J.S.A
10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
good lord I thought my family were the only rednecks who thought this kind of stuff up.........who looks at an oil filter and says... "ya know ___ I think I could use this as a suppressor for the rifle. Lets put it on the end and see what happens"

I love my american redneck brothers....lol

HeepH8erTy
10-22-2012, 12:33 PM
I saw a stand at the last gun show where a guy had a bunch of guns with oil filter suppressors on em. I wanted to see what the deal was but there were wayy too many people crowding the stand. Looks like a good idea.

I've heard (I haven't tried it yet) that you can slip an empty 2 liter pop bottle over the end of a .22 rifle barrel and it will act like a suppressor also. Anyone tried that before? I mean a .22 is pretty quiet anyways, I'd be pretty interested to see how much more it would quiet the shot.

PatF10
10-22-2012, 12:53 PM
if you use sub sonic ammo almost all you hear is the firing pin hitting the cartridge. f you arent using sub sonic you still hear the sonic crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. pop bottles work well.

pittim
10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
according to the manufacturer of the adapter, the reason to put a filter on the end is to catch any cleaning solution, etc while cleaning the gun. i was thinking about getting this for my ak, as russian ammo is really dirty.

joshs1ofakindxj
10-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Saturday morning this past weekend I got to hear and demo a few suppressed weapons and I am sold. $200 for a good 22 suppressor and $200 for the tax stamp. First I need a 22 pistol with a threaded barrel.

Azzy
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Saturday morning this past weekend I got to hear and demo a few suppressed weapons and I am sold. $200 for a good 22 suppressor and $200 for the tax stamp. First I need a 22 pistol with a threaded barrel.

'Ive been thinking, once our finances are a bit more stable, that a 22 pistol and a can is on the list. I want a 9mm can as well... shame that a stupid transfer tax makes it not only expensive to buy one, but expensive for companies to make.

MemorEsto
10-22-2012, 03:11 PM
I have that Walther P22. Maybe it's just mine, but I wouldn't recommend it. The spring in the clip jumbles up the ammo, and taking it apart to clean and putting back together is a bitch the way the slide spring is designed .

Azzy
10-24-2012, 07:42 AM
I think the trick is to find a 22 that isnt made by Umarex fror someone else. Walther, Sig, AIM, Colt 1911 22... all theirs are made by Umarex, iirc. Go with a woodsman, buckmark, or markII / 22-45.

JeepSteeler
10-24-2012, 08:06 AM
if you use sub sonic ammo almost all you hear is the firing pin hitting the cartridge. f you arent using sub sonic you still hear the sonic crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. pop bottles work well.

The problem with that, at least for me and my S&W M&P 15-22, is that the sub sonics don't have enough oomph to kick the bolt back to eject/load the next round. Owners guide indicates it needs at least 1200fps ammo to make the semi-auto run reliably and that's not a sub sonic. So, I'd definitely be interested in some type of suppressor that could be used on my 15-22...legally of course. I am pretty sure the factory flash suppressor just screws off of mine but I'll have to check. Been thinking of looking into getting the tax stamp thing or whatever just to quiet things down for plinking.

I did end up getting the .556 version too, the M&P Sport. Dang these things are a hoot.

Azzy
10-24-2012, 01:45 PM
If you want to get into suppressors, read this:

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-title-ii-34/1882-read-first-process-acquire-make-nfa-items-pennsylvania-jaybell.html

joshs1ofakindxj
10-25-2012, 07:32 PM
And then call this guy for great prices and customer service. He stocks some items so once your paperwork comes back there is less wait.

http://www.cdsarms.com/