PDA

View Full Version : My new toy

Sycotik Skier
10-27-2012, 04:26 PM
i've been trying to sell my quad for awhile with out much luck. the other day i was offered a 2006 yz250f. i brought it home last night. it is e pain in the foot to get started. i broke my foot about two months ago. this is really hard to start. it's my first bike. any suggestions?

Yarz
10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Too hard because of the compression, or you have to kick a lot to get it to fire?

I have a 2005 and I wouldn't say it's anywhere near hard to start.
Maybe check valve clearances and cam chain tension. Does the 06 still have the auto decompression lever on the exhaust cam? Could try to see if that's operating properly.

JeepGeneral
10-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Every bike has a starting method. My 250f, when cold, requires the choke and a few blurps of the throttle before kicking to get some fuel into the carb. When I kick it I don't touch the throttle but I do hold the hot start lever in.

If you can't figure out a method, start with cleaning the carb, changing the plug, then worry about valves. Have you been able to start it at all since you bought it?

Sycotik Skier
10-27-2012, 08:30 PM
it does have a high compression piston in it. the kid i got it from had it running and i got it to fire today. it runs really well once it starts but i think my problem is a combination of weak foot and leg from being in a cast and the high compression. it does have the hot start lever on the clutch. i've done a lot of reading since i started this thread. thanks guys. i was told this was recently rebuilt so maybe it needs broken in yet too

Sycotik Skier
10-30-2012, 08:26 PM
ok. i've figured out how to get it to run but I'm unsure of what fuel I should run. it does have a high compression piston but I'm unsure of how high. any suggestions on what fuel I should run? What's it require assuming it's a stock engine?

Yarz
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
As per my manual:

"Recommended fuel:
Premium unleaded gasoline only with a research octane number of 95 or higher."

Sycotik Skier
10-30-2012, 08:39 PM
thanks for the quick reply. Any reason not to run a blend of ninety three and turbo blue?

ridgerunner97
10-30-2012, 09:45 PM
^ You can blend, i've done that before. Can you get the blue at the pump? I can down here and run the quad on it and my older saws get the 112 leaded.

97V10MN
10-31-2012, 03:28 AM
The one gas station on rt8 has turbo blue on a pump, its the one right across from dollar general on the right hand side if you're heading towards ghost riders, also triangle gas and widdenhoffers sell citgo110, that's usually what I ran in my Sport, and also syberts in chicora has race fuel also.

DMG
10-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Research octane is a higher number than pump octane. 92 or 93 should be fine.

Sycotik Skier
10-31-2012, 08:15 PM
that gas station on eight is across the street from my apartment. i think i'm just going to blend. it'll help me sleep better

HeepH8erTy
11-01-2012, 08:06 AM
When I use to ride, the guys I rode with that had 250f's and 450f's all used the same 92 or 93 pump gas that I ran in CRF230. 92/93 will work just fine.

Leady
11-01-2012, 11:02 PM
I run 93 in my 09 yz250f without a problem. They are funny to start if you don't figure out the trick for that certain bike like someone said. My bike starts fine with the choke and a few kicks when cold then first kick every time after that. Occasionally when hot it won't start no matter how much I kick it with or without the hot start lever. I have to pop start it every third time I go out and ride it seems.

Another thing I do is run the gas outta the carb and let it stall when I'm done riding. I had the problem of my float sticking right from when I got the bike new. I chalk it up to ethanol.