PDA

View Full Version : KDX 200 Opinions

HeepH8erTy
11-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Well, it's all over with now. My buddy has been trying to get me to buy his KDX200 for a while now and he let me ride all day yesterday... so I guess I'm buying a bike now haha. I've only ever rode 4 strokes and always preferred them (I'm not a racer, I just like puttin and trail rompin)... but after riding this 2 stroke that does awesome in the woods, I'm hooked... all i wanna ride are screamers now (BRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAAP)! Lol I have no idea why I've always been 4-stroke biased... My views did a complete 180 lol

My question for you is, does anyone have opinions on the bike? All of the reviews and stuff that I have read have all been positive. What is rebuilding them like? I know that you have to rebuild the top ends on the race bikes every so often... but my buddy thinks that this thing will prob be fine forever without a rebuild... its an 03 and he's the original owner, said it has never been rebuilt... what do you think? (I don't mind having to rebuild and I understand it needs done, I just think he's full of it. The bike did rip though, didn't seem to be tired to me)

Also, I saw some stuff about converting the bike over to be street legal. Along with all the parts I need to buy to make it that way (tires, turn signals, DOT approved silencer, horn, etc...) what other bull crap is involved (paper work, legalities, etc..)? Is it a pain in the ass? I'd absolutely love to cruise the streets on the a 2 stroke on a daily basis lol

Here's us riding yesterday. My buddy is on a YZ450F

http://youtu.be/Dnhu5N7uhCw
(excuse my winey bitching at the end haha I wanted to ride and my buddy and his girlfriend wanted to piss around too much haha)

JeepGeneral
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Making it street legal in PA is a titling nightmare. Not to mention a 2 stroke may not hold up very long being run at high RPMs for a long period of time. Buy a second, road-legal bike and save the money and frustration.

MSchneid
11-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Making it street legal in PA is a titling nightmare. Not to mention a 2 stroke may not hold up very long being run at high RPMs for a long period of time. Buy a second, road-legal bike and save the money and frustration.

x2 Buy a dual sport and you will never go back. You don't have to trailer to the trails and there are tons of local trails that you can't park a trailer or truck at.

97V10MN
11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
I had an 2001 and loved it, they're different from the typical two strokes as the have some low end power, they'll rev just like any two stroke but the power was mostly midrange, I rebuilt mine in 06 in votech mainly as a project and the cylinder still looked great. Kawasaki should sell a direct lighting kit as my cousin had an identical bike to mine but his was street legal from the factory, if the bike is stock do your self a favor, throw the air box lid away, its junk and not needed, ill post a couple of links for you once I get my home to my laptop. I loved my bike and miss it,

HoodRN
11-19-2012, 06:58 PM
I had a 92 KDX for about 10-12 years. It was a great little bike. Wish I still had it.

YZEATER
11-19-2012, 09:50 PM
the kdx is a woods/trail 2 stroke bike. it won't need rebuilds like regualr 2 stroke race bikes. you could go for years without. ride a real 2 stroke bike and you'll really see the difference, like the modern race 4 strokes. the kdx will suit you fine for pokin around on the trails, perfect for a beginner, it's closer to a 4 stroke with it's low end power.

HeepH8erTy
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
eh, sucks about how big of pain it would be to get it titled. I figured it would be sweet to take it to work everyday on my 3 minute commute lol I'd prob get a few looks riding a loud ass screamer into a nice office wearin nice clothes haha i see it as being pretty funny.

I had an 2001 and loved it, they're different from the typical two strokes as the have some low end power, they'll rev just like any two stroke but the power was mostly midrange, I rebuilt mine in 06 in votech mainly as a project and the cylinder still looked great. Kawasaki should sell a direct lighting kit as my cousin had an identical bike to mine but his was street legal from the factory, if the bike is stock do your self a favor, throw the air box lid away, its junk and not needed, ill post a couple of links for you once I get my home to my laptop. I loved my bike and miss it,

I'm still waitin on them links! haha

the kdx is a woods/trail 2 stroke bike. it won't need rebuilds like regualr 2 stroke race bikes. you could go for years without. ride a real 2 stroke bike and you'll really see the difference, like the modern race 4 strokes. the kdx will suit you fine for pokin around on the trails, perfect for a beginner, it's closer to a 4 stroke with it's low end power.

Yea, I'll have to agree. The bike seemed almost happy with me riding it like I was use to riding a four stroke...I just tried to keep her revved a teeny bit more and she was happy. The power also felt about the same to me as the last time I rode one of the newer 250 4's. I wouldn't say its perfect for a beginner though. I always rode XR's and my last bike was a CRF230...those are perfect beginner bikes... enough power to get you through whatever you want, but not enough to really get you into trouble. I got myself into trouble a couple times on the KDX lol The reason I think its perfect for me is has enough power to make me happy (not too much like a 450 that makes me shat my pants wayyy to often) and whiles its not too heavy, its still got some weight to make up for my little ass so that back tire will actually grab something lol

97V10MN
11-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Sorry bud im still stuck at.work, ill get them as soon as I can.

97V10MN
11-21-2012, 06:54 PM
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/ http://www.frpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm These are the websites I usually looked at when I had mine. Like I said before and the website says it also, under the hop up guide on justkdx.com is to remove the air box lid and use it as a frisbee, I also added a pipe and silencer, air filter, and mine was awesome to ride. I would love to have another.

HeepH8erTy
11-26-2012, 11:20 AM
nice man, thanks for the links, I appreciate it! I was playing around the bike cleaning it and what not yesterday and went to take the air box lid off. Well when I removed the seat, I found it already was lol. The bike also has a pro circuit pipe on it (i don't recall the model name tho) with the factory silencer. It has plenty of enough power for me at the moment... but I know I will eventually get use to it and be bored with the power it has... I'll start looking into hopping it up when that happens.

Just glancing around on those sites, I saw some stuff about running KX forks... this looks like something worth investigating. I'd love to have inverted forks.

ridgerunner97
11-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm cutting the headset off my 86 KX and putting CR forks on it to get the better suspension and brakes, should be a fun swap.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-26-2012, 05:43 PM
I would of extended a token invite to you to go riding like I do to all the other 2 wheel jokers on here for the annual Thanksgiving morning ride, and I'm sure you wouldn't have shown like the rest of them! haha

I did 30 miles and saw a black bear. Good time.

Let me know if you're going riding. I'll blow the dust off my antique. 87 Honda XR600R. Runs beter than ever since I ran it out of oil at Indian Creek.

From Thanksgiving morning on top of the world by Johnstown...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/luvherinmyjeep32/IMG9534891.jpg

HeepH8erTy
11-27-2012, 09:02 AM
I'm cutting the headset off my 86 KX and putting CR forks on it to get the better suspension and brakes, should be a fun swap.

Man, I dont want to do any cutting lol is there a lot involved in that? I've been looking into swapping in KX125/250/500 front end for mine. I guess the 500 front end has the least amount of work with using the triple clamps, so thats what i'd really like to find. I've heard finding someone just selling the front end isnt very easy... so I guess I'll start the search now lol

I would of extended a token invite to you to go riding like I do to all the other 2 wheel jokers on here for the annual Thanksgiving morning ride, and I'm sure you wouldn't have shown like the rest of them! haha

Let me know if you're going riding. I'll blow the dust off my antique. 87 Honda XR600R. Runs beter than ever since I ran it out of oil at Indian Creek.

From Thanksgiving morning on top of the world by Johnstown...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/luvherinmyjeep32/IMG9534891.jpg

And nice Josh, I'm down almost anytime to hit the trails, like I said earlier, I forgot how much fun it is to ride. I wanna come out your way sometime and ride those trails. Where do you ride out there? Like were we use to take the trucks behind BiLo? All up in there?

You'll have to come out my way sometime too, we discovered how to get to all of our favorite trail systems from my house, so its a good time!

ridgerunner97
11-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Man, I dont want to do any cutting lol is there a lot involved in that? I've been looking into swapping in KX125/250/500 front end for mine. I guess the 500 front end has the least amount of work with using the triple clamps, so thats what i'd really like to find. I've heard finding someone just selling the front end isnt very easy... so I guess I'll start the search now lol

Hell I have no Idea we haven't looked into if anyone has done it or not. My middle brother is a hell of a fabber, my youngest brother is a dirtbike fanatic and races it was his idea so we're just carving it off LOL

JeepGeneral
11-27-2012, 01:51 PM

Good to know that Jon didn't show either, you should know that 6AM on a holiday is way to early for me. Sorry I didn't call though, I left my phone at work over Thanksgiving.

As always, I'm up for 2 wheel riding any Sunday or Monday.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
And nice Josh, I'm down almost anytime to hit the trails, like I said earlier, I forgot how much fun it is to ride. I wanna come out your way sometime and ride those trails. Where do you ride out there? Like were we use to take the trucks behind BiLo? All up in there?

You'll have to come out my way sometime too, we discovered how to get to all of our favorite trail systems from my house, so its a good time!

Yup, we ride all those trails up behind the Bilo.

Good to know that Jon didn't show either, you should know that 6AM on a holiday is way to early for me. Sorry I didn't call though, I left my phone at work over Thanksgiving.

As always, I'm up for 2 wheel riding any Sunday or Monday.

No worries Tom, it's a lot to ask of myself even. I was three sheetz to the wind and half kicked in the ass Wednesday night so the only reason I made it riding is that I slept in my ex-girlfriend's basement in Seward which is basically the trail head for the day's adventure.

joshs1ofakindxj
11-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Hell I have no Idea we haven't looked into if anyone has done it or not. My middle brother is a hell of a fabber, my youngest brother is a dirtbike fanatic and races it was his idea so we're just carving it off LOL

So three Pechunkas workin on it...hmm...should look something like this when done...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/11853LowRiderShot.jpg

ridgerunner97
11-28-2012, 09:27 PM
haha screw you Josh where the hell do you find something like that?

joshs1ofakindxj
11-28-2012, 09:32 PM
adv rider of course

HeepH8erTy
12-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, this time of the year (well the fall atleast) is by far my favorite time of the year to ride around here. All the leaves fall, you can see everything, no new brush growing in on the trails, its a little more on the cooler side... its great. I went out yesterday and rode for a few hours behind my house, here are a couple pics I snapped off:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/hardbodyty/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-12-09_14-16-12_556.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/hardbodyty/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/FB_IMG_13550814487716493.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/hardbodyty/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/2012-12-09_14-02-09_642.jpg

I moved out of my parents house a few months ago and my new house already had a trail that starts directly outside of my garage. From there, I have already hit 3 totally different major trail systems and I know I can get to more. I really lucked out with this place! Most of the trails that are the closest to my place are all new to me, so I was exploring yesterday. Found a lot of fun new stuff! If anyone wants to come along for a ride sometime in Houston, let me know, I'm always trying to get out every chance I get.