PDA

View Full Version : AR advice?

Sloth_Fratelli
12-17-2012, 10:09 AM
So I just got into shooting a few months ago and I'm looking into buying an AR and was wondering if anybody had any input, as I don't know sh!t. Looking for a mid range (not cheap but not $2000) ar in 5.56, I'd like to keep it under a grand.

pittim
12-17-2012, 10:26 AM
I dont have a AR, but I know quite a few people that are happy with their Spikes lowers, and they make complete rifles for ~$900 so it might be worth looking into.

pittim
12-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Check this out too, might find a decent deal

http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype=arms&category=3&subcat=5

joshs1ofakindxj
12-17-2012, 10:50 AM
If you want to build an AR, call Cory at CDS Arms and he can get you the best price on a stripped lower with a $20 transfer. He also builds and sells rifles of any make. He's a certified armorer and builds full autos for police all the time so he knows his stuff.

Don't be afraid to assemble your own lower. All you need is a small hammer, some punches, pliers, etc. Very easy. The upper requires some special tools so save some money and buy a complete upper.

Here is some good info and terminology. More than you need to know but it's a nice read: http://forums.officer.com/t81462/

ridgerunner97
12-17-2012, 12:22 PM
^ Josh speaks the truth. Cory does awesome work and is a nice guy. Josh's buddy Donnie put his AR together with a write up off the internet and a small hammer and punch and just locked a complete upper in and was ready to go, took less than an hour to do it i'd say.

Super Scout
12-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Whatever you do, you better do it fast.

Sloth_Fratelli
12-17-2012, 03:44 PM

That's why I'm looking for quality not an entry level ar

chux72vette
12-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Also Fred, start stocking up on mags and ammo and anything else you can think of pertaining to it. Try to find a titanium firing pin or 3. All else should be good. See if you can find an M-16 bolt. A little tough to find but who knows after the 1st. You should always be able to get most of the other parts since these are current production weapons and even a grandfathered in like most things are. You have to do the research like I have for over 30 years, trends and big brother. Don't advertise what you get also as just sound advice. A grand should get you a descent shooter with all the other things you need to go with it. I have built over 20 over the last years of all different styles so feel free to ask.

The_War_Wagon
12-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Colt 6920. At less than $1200, you can have a rifle ready to GO, out of the box. Add furniture, sling, and optic to taste, buy one shiiteload of mags and ammo, and you'll be GTG.

joshs1ofakindxj
12-17-2012, 08:24 PM
I was browsing around to see who has lowers in stock right now. One of the few I found was the DSA ZM4 Spartan lower is in stock. DSA is good stuff. $130 for the lower, $6 shipping, and $20 transfer. They're are plenty cheaper out there like Rguns, but they're taking back orders and don't expect to get to them until early February and that is a guess they gave me.

pittim
12-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Going off of DSAs site, if I got a complete upper (http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-A3-Upper-Receiver-With-16-M4-Barrel----ZM4CBUM4PARKRL/productinfo/ZM4CBUM4PARKRL/), and complete lower (http://www.dsarms.com/Model-ZM4-Complete-Lower-Receiver-With-Mil-Spec-Stock-Assembly---ZM4R8988-A/productinfo/ZM4R8988-A/), what else is needed? bolt, charging handle?

busij44
12-17-2012, 09:01 PM

+1

HoodRN
12-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Colt 6920. At less than $1200, you can have a rifle ready to GO, out of the box. Add furniture, sling, and optic to taste, buy one shiiteload of mags and ammo, and you'll be GTG.

Good advice here.

joshs1ofakindxj
12-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Going off of DSAs site, if I got a complete upper (http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-A3-Upper-Receiver-With-16-M4-Barrel----ZM4CBUM4PARKRL/productinfo/ZM4CBUM4PARKRL/), and complete lower (http://www.dsarms.com/Model-ZM4-Complete-Lower-Receiver-With-Mil-Spec-Stock-Assembly---ZM4R8988-A/productinfo/ZM4R8988-A/), what else is needed? bolt, charging handle?

If you buy those parts, just saying if you don't know: you have to ship the lower to an FFL (like Cory at CDS Arms) and he charges $20 for the transfer which is a good rate.

Then you will need a charging handle and a bolt carrier group like you said. Don't forget a pile of ammo and mags. Right now ammo is being gobbled up. My buddy that buys it as he shoots is pissed every weekend when he can't find any regular ammo at walmart.

pittim
12-18-2012, 12:13 AM
If you buy those parts, just saying if you don't know: you have to ship the lower to an FFL (like Cory at CDS Arms) and he charges $20 for the transfer which is a good rate.

Then you will need a charging handle and a bolt carrier group like you said. Don't forget a pile of ammo and mags. Right now ammo is being gobbled up. My buddy that buys it as he shoots is pissed every weekend when he can't find any regular ammo at walmart.

Gotcha.

Not sure if spending $800+ on an AR15 is worth it, as that could be spent on 2000 7.62x39 rounds + 1000 .40 rounds.

joshs1ofakindxj
12-18-2012, 12:16 AM
The only regulated part is the lower receiver, so you could buy one or two of those and threw them in a gun safe for re-sell or future builds. Thats a cheaper option.

pittim
12-18-2012, 12:29 AM
The only regulated part is the lower receiver, so you could buy one or two of those and threw them in a gun safe for re-sell or future builds. Thats a cheaper option.

Good point. Might run up to Tim's place and see if he sells lowers by themselves.

Azzy
12-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Good luck finding mags and ammo at a decent price. I cannot say enough good things about Freedom Munitions, great reman ammo, great prices, damn accurate.

Sloth_Fratelli
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Got a line on a NIB 6920 I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on for 950. Does anybody have any info on how soon the poo is gonna hit the fan? I don't have enough cash to buy it outright yet and don't really wanna put it on plastic

joshs1ofakindxj
12-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Got a line on a NIB 6920 I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on for 950. Does anybody have any info on how soon the poo is gonna hit the fan? I don't have enough cash to buy it outright yet and don't really wanna put it on plastic

Who knows...we might have an AWB in a year or nothing might come of this. I'll play my had pessimistically. DSA has two less lowers in stock now. :067:

Super Scout
12-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Feinstein said she will push the bill the first day of the new congress. Which is in January now they move slow and have a lot of other things to attend too but Liberals are screaming about this right now so they may move fast. Also BAMA wants to take another look at that UN arms Treaty in March. I think the 28th. I would say you got till feb to be safe. Keep in mind if it looks like a ban will roll thru than prices will sky rocket. Its gotta pass the House which is republican controlled. Call your senators and reps tell them how you feel. We need to stand firm on this.

joshs1ofakindxj
12-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Regardless of what legislative action will or will not happen, the demand for complete ARs and lowers is going crazy right now. Happy holidays!

Super Scout
12-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Hahahah yup I gotta get on the AK train ASAP

Super Scout
12-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Stopped at a few gun shops tonight, holyeeee sheeeet. ARs and AKs were flying off the shelf, 4 in my area were completely sold out. With no clue when they would be getting more in. Esp true for AKs. Better get them now.

tceraso
12-18-2012, 06:34 PM
got two ak's during bush 1 was a good investment. Not that I'm ever looking to part with them!!

PAFirefighter49
12-18-2012, 07:49 PM
I also literally know nothing about any kind of assault weapons...but I'm looking to buy an AR. Buying my girlfriend a CC pistol first, but it's next on my list.

toocheaptosmoke
12-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Been wanting to get into an AR build for the last year or so, really glad I kept putting it off...

joshs1ofakindxj
12-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Here is a deal on lowers, best deal and in stock that I can find

edit: sold out

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver
(http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver)

HoodRN
12-18-2012, 09:54 PM

For 950.00, buy it. Buy two. Put them on plastic. After this past weekend, it's tough to find any kind of AR/AK/M1A/FAL, you name it. Mags doubled or tripled in price since Friday, and ammo is getting scarce. I'm sure the run on ammo will cool, but if there is any kind of ban coming like the '94 AWB, rifles and high-cap mags will remain scarce and expensive.

toocheaptosmoke
12-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Here is a deal on lowers, best deal and in stock that I can find

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/shop/ar15-stripped-lower-receiver

Thanks for the link, got one ordered, hopefully they actually have them in stock. They've sold almost a hundred since I started looking on their site! :103:

joshs1ofakindxj
12-18-2012, 11:42 PM
They sold almost 400 since 6pm. They will be out of stock soon.

Edit: sold out

Azzy
12-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Word from distributors is that this past weekend, one sold 70,000 Pmags. People are spooked.

ridgerunner97
12-19-2012, 06:12 AM
CCW permits according to local news outlets have doubled in application/issuance since friday as well.

Super Scout
12-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Yup, called Murphy this morning, he will vote against any added gun control. Hope fully other reps feel the same. I think its great that people are taking arms. This is exactly how are fore fathers wanted it. Like I said I was at Johnsons yesterday and it was packed. My dad is buying an AR or AK today, for no other reason that the expected ban.

pittim
12-19-2012, 01:31 PM
might just get a lower, since buying the whole thing is pointless considering ammo is nonexistant pretty much

joshs1ofakindxj
12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Ammo should cool down, rifles, lowers, magazines are what I anticipate staying hot over the next few weeks.

Today the news says Obama is putting Biden in charge of a gun control task force. Great.

Super Scout
12-19-2012, 02:10 PM
It still has to pass the house, but I don't have a good feeling about this considering politicians are all assholes. Call your reps. Let them know how you feel. Liberals in this country cheered when that shooting happened. I have never witnessed a group of people more excited for mass murder than this week, it makes me want to vomit. Why actually address the problem when you can use a terrible tragedy to push your liberal agenda.

Super Scout
12-19-2012, 02:13 PM
We got 3 weeks. Forget the fiscal cliff: BAMA wants this done now.
http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/3164754-74/gun-obama-president#axzz2FKtr1OGZ

pittim
12-19-2012, 02:57 PM
Went up to Security Military Depot...in the few times that I've been to his shop, I've never seen his walls more bare. No ARs, a couple unconverted Saiga rifles, and a couple AKs. Hell, even his "C&R rack" was pretty empty as well as his hunting rifles.

Sloth_Fratelli
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Was about to droll the cash and now I can't find one that isn't spoken for

Ronin152
12-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Bought an S&W M&P 15 Sport a couple weeks ago for $630. Already selling for $800-$1000 on gunbroker.

Azzy
12-20-2012, 12:02 AM
This stuff may have to pass the house, unless the do it through ATF regulation or interpretation of "sporting pourpose".

The_War_Wagon
12-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Today the news says Obama is putting Biden in charge of a gun control task force. Great.

Joe Biden couldn't find his ass in broad daylight with BOTH hands. :disgust: I feel the MOTHER of all SCHMUCKUPS impending...

Azzy
12-20-2012, 12:32 AM
this is Ace as of tonight: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/67323_2631974376541_902469763_n.jpg

The_War_Wagon
12-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Day - ummmmm... :jawdrop:

sethman15210
12-20-2012, 04:15 AM
holy crap, empty shelves batman

HeepH8erTy
12-20-2012, 08:38 AM
awww man! I knew I should have bought one a while back when I had the dough... reading this thread when I got into work today....really brought me down...

Super Scout
12-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Like I said, it will have to pass the house, unless BAMA weasels it thru somehow. CALL YOUR REPS, it does and can make a difference. Let your voice be known, just don't sit hear and mope. Call them, email them. Let them know they lose your vote if the agree to this. The house of represitives is still republican controlled, they sure as hell better all vote NO.

sethman15210
12-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know if there's gonna be any ralleys held locally. I read online of a few hosted by the NRA, but none of them are local. Attending a ralley or a protest is probally the best way to get the facts, unless you wanna read through hundreds of pages of government jargle.

joshs1ofakindxj
12-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Keep an eye on the PAFOA forum under the politics section.

Maybe Azzy will chime in with some FOAC action?

Personally, I don't have time to make a trip to Harrisburg where previous protests have taken place.

Leady
12-20-2012, 02:15 PM
gander mtn had a bunch of ammo and about 5 p mags yesterday. Only saw one or two ar's though

JeepSteeler
12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Dang. I couldn't find 30 round PMAGs yesterday online that were in stock, and settled for some steelies instead. Ammo orders for .223 that i could find were limiting to 500 a day. I'm glad i have the S&W 15-22 for plinking now so I don't have to use up as much ammo on its big brother.

Azzy
12-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Does anyone know if there's gonna be any ralleys held locally. I read online of a few hosted by the NRA, but none of them are local. Attending a ralley or a protest is probally the best way to get the facts, unless you wanna read through hundreds of pages of government jargle.

Next FOAC meeting is Jan 13th, in Whitehall. Keep an eye on our facebook page and twitter feed (@FOACPAC) The yearly 2A rally in Harrisburg (a very effective event) is happening in April, I'll post up details when I have more.

Keep an eye on the PAFOA forum under the politics section.

Maybe Azzy will chime in with some FOAC action?

Personally, I don't have time to make a trip to Harrisburg where previous protests have taken place.

I felt the same way, that is until i saw a bit more of the fruits of that effort. It shows to our lawmakers that we are a group who will stand behind a cause. You dont have to drive to every event like a lot of us, heck, there are buses from a lot of spots that are local for the event. But I think it is worth a vacation day.

Dang. I couldn't find 30 round PMAGs yesterday online that were in stock, and settled for some steelies instead. Ammo orders for .223 that i could find were limiting to 500 a day. I'm glad i have the S&W 15-22 for plinking now so I don't have to use up as much ammo on its big brother.

Some of the stores are limiting purchases to 2 mags.