PDA

View Full Version : Advice for contacting your rep

joshs1ofakindxj
01-04-2013, 02:15 PM
The full read: http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/1aec3e9a2cdb7468efa0b1adad770d68-1128.html

The summary from http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/

Unless they know you personally, the Senator or Representative will never see your letter themselves. It will be read and tabulated by staffers.
Aides are young and idealistic. Be nice to them.
Don't use paper - fax, e-mail, or call. This is due to the anthrax scare of a few years ago.
Don't write a book. Be concise and to the point.
If you aren't a constituent of that particular Representative or Senator, it will be ignored.
Make sure your name and address are in the letter.
Make sure your e-mail has a subject.
Form letters are nearly useless. Don't use them.
Any response you get will be a form letter. It is just the way it is.

joshs1ofakindxj
01-04-2013, 02:16 PM
And once again:

Senator Casey: http://www.casey.senate.gov/contact/

Senator Toomey: http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=contact

Go here to find what district you're in, and then look up your US Rep and PA Rep contact info:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/find.cfm

Azzy
01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
I will say you are more likley to get a call from your local state rep than anyone else. They will call back, usually on their drive home from being in session.

We have to remind Corbett what the PA constitution says, no matter what the AG feels. (PA elected a very anti gun and anti rights AG last election so they could get back at Corbett for some thing with Penn State and him not adding 1 trillion to school budgets. She is 100% CeaseFirePA rated, and plans to eviscerate the carry reciprocity system. )

Super Scout
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
I called Casey's office today, dude I talked to was a dick, could careless. Called Toomey's office and got the reply I wanted "You can count on Senator Toomey"

justin'sbig7
01-04-2013, 08:12 PM
I just got a canned email from pat Toomey, his focus was along the lines of looking into recognizing the mentally ill problems.

justin'sbig7
01-04-2013, 08:14 PM
I will say you are more likley to get a call from your local state rep than anyone else. They will call back, usually on their drive home from being in session.

We have to remind Corbett what the PA constitution says, no matter what the AG feels. (PA elected a very anti gun and anti rights AG last election so they could get back at Corbett for some thing with Penn State and him not adding 1 trillion to school budgets. She is 100% CeaseFirePA rated, and plans to eviscerate the carry reciprocity system. )

I called him today too, he said he was going to look into a law banning gun shows in public places as a response to a radio show caller.

JeepSteeler
01-06-2013, 07:53 AM
I just got a canned email from pat Toomey, his focus was along the lines of looking into recognizing the mentally ill problems.

I just got likely the same one you did.

Thank you for contacting me about the killings in Newtown, CT. I appreciate hearing from you.

Like all Americans, I was horrified and sickened to learn about the mass murder in Newtown, CT on December 14, 2012. As you know, Adam Lanza murdered 26 people that day, including educators and young children at Sandy Hook Elementary School and his mother at her house, before committing suicide. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and the families who were affected.
In response, we need to come together as a nation, carefully reflect on what happened, and have a thoughtful dialogue on how we can improve public safety and protect our children. Of note, this atrocity in Newtown was the direct result of serious mental illness - something we have consistently observed in other mass killings over the years. We therefore need to better protect ourselves from mentally ill individuals who seek to carry out such atrocities. We also need to review and improve how we take care of the mentally ill. I therefore value your input on this issue and look forward to Congress debating which policies should be implemented to improve public safety.
Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.

Sincerely,

http://65.55.157.145/att/GetInline.aspx?messageid=e5e81915-56bb-11e2-b602-00237de3fb08&attindex=0&cp=-1&attdepth=0&imgsrc=cid%3acf25ccddd1c34500d7d5a8779bd5d3ea&cid=66c06c73c36bb496&shared=1&hm__login=cmannozzi&hm__domain=hotmail.com&ip=10.111.84.8&d=d2395&mf=0&hm__ts=Sun%2c%2006%20Jan%202013%2011%3a48%3a06%20G MT&st=cmannozzi&hm__ha=01_64c8c65c3ead6b4f66d21b5da3bba529c5610012 7bd08e459b022f40e11e9e27&oneredir=1
Pat Toomey
U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania

wozz
01-08-2013, 02:20 PM

haha probably the same one I got

justin'sbig7
01-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Sen. Toomey is not particularly the one i worry about. casey has stated he has reconsidered his pro 2a stance.

Azzy
01-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Toomey was endorsed by FOAC. Casey.. not so much.

wozz
01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Just got a caned e mail response from Casey saying he will support a assault weapons ban.

Super Scout
01-09-2013, 11:14 PM
I haven't received mine yet, he will get another email. This is what happens when you vote for a democrat, you have to spend time defending your constitutional rights.

justin'sbig7
01-09-2013, 11:23 PM
I got the canned response that he is very supportive of the second amendment, ya know for hunting and rec. shooting... i informed him that it was for the citizens to protect themselves from a tyrannical govt and also reminded him what happened to the politicians that voted for it in '94. wste of breath, yep. but oh well ill keep calling and writing.

Azzy
01-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Said canned message:

Dear Mr. Xxxxxx:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the tragic shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you about this issue.

As you know, on December 14, 2012, an individual in Newtown, Connecticut forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and opened fire on teachers and staff in the building. In total, the perpetrator murdered 20 students between the ages of six and seven years old, as well as six adults, many of whom heroically sought to stop the shooter and save the lives of children. Like many Americans, I was deeply affected by the scope and brutality of this act. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

The motives that led to this senseless massacre will likely never fully be comprehended. However, I believe that all public officials have a responsibility to work to prevent such an event from occurring again. This incident reflects a complex problem that requires a comprehensive strategy, including funding for law enforcement officers and the mental health care system. Too many individuals with mental illness are not receiving the services they need and tragically, sometimes a small number of these individuals turn violent. I have supported access to affordable and accessible mental health services for all Americans and I will continue to review proposed solutions to improve our mental health system.

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment. Pennsylvania has a fine hunting and sporting tradition, and I will defend the right to bear arms as it is enshrined in our Constitution. However, I also believe that the attack at Sandy Hook Elementary School highlights very serious dangers posed to public safety by the misuse of certain weapons and technology originally developed for warfare. According to reports, the shooter was able to kill many children and adults very quickly because he possessed a military-style semiautomatic weapon. He also allegedly used magazines containing up to 30 rounds of ammunition and carried hundreds of rounds more. After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon.

Our Nation has already begun a critical dialogue as we examine what steps must be taken to prevent this type of tragedy in the future. On December 19, 2012, President Obama announced the formation of an inter-agency task initiative, led by Vice President Biden, to study these issues and recommend possible actions. I look forward to reviewing these proposals, as well to working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to address this complex issue.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

For more information on this or other issues, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I hope you will find this online office a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issues that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator
P.S. If you would like to respond to this message, please use the contact form on my website: http://casey.senate.gov/contact/

IMHO, this man is a traitor, and violates his oath of office. Anyone who believed his positive NRA rating is a fool.

justin'sbig7
01-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Said canned message:

IMHO, this man is a traitor, and violates his oath of office. Anyone who believed his positive NRA rating is a fool.

IMHO, the Democratic Party at least at the core has been infiltrated by the workers world party, aka the communist party. This isn't your fathers JFK party anymore. I never considered voting for him regardless of the NRA rating. This is very sad that we have become so constrained by these folks that we have to worry about losing our rights.

Super Scout
01-10-2013, 09:08 AM
This part is such a bag of shit, he said he supported the ban, within days
"After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon."

I always thought people who voted straight parties were idiots, in the last election I voted straight R. There are few decent republicans left, and a lot of piles of garbage. But every politician who is a Democrat, is scum. Never vote democrat they take your money and your rights.

Azzy
01-10-2013, 10:05 AM
This part is such a bag of shit, he said he supported the ban, within days
"After much reflection and careful study of the issue, I have decided to support a federal assault weapons ban as well as legislation restricting high capacity clips. In light of what occurred at Sandy Hook, these are two measures that will lessen the chances that this will happen again soon."

I always thought people who voted straight parties were idiots, in the last election I voted straight R. There are few decent republicans left, and a lot of piles of garbage. But every politician who is a Democrat, is scum. Never vote democrat they take your money and your rights.

Not true in PA, FOAC endorses many Democrats who are pro-gun. Most times, when a person cannot get on one ballot, they go for the other here. You can run on both if you want. Its screwy. I know personally in my district, Rob Roderick is a good honest guy and pro2A. Was willing to work with him if he got past the primary and won against our current rep Saccone.

JeepSteeler
01-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Is it me or did Senator Casey misuse the term "clip" ? Should have been "magazine".....splitting hairs I know. His flopping on the issue is total b.s....I knew he was sketchy on this stuff to begin with, so i'm not shocked he decided to ride the emotional tide. He is based in the Eastern side of the state, much closer geographically (and therefore the communities are tied a little tighter) to where this took place, so i can see his flopping probably being a saavy political move for votes on that side of the State. This is politics after all...it's your vote, then your rights...in that order...to these people. Well wait, maybe it's your vote, then the lobbyist cash, then your rights, in that order...yeah sounds closer to the truth.

Voting straight ticket is something i rarely do, and only if it happens that everyone i have chosen to support happens to be on the same side. I can't remember the last time that happened. There are good guys and bad guys on both sides of this issue, regardles of if they have an R or D next to their name.

I'd like to see some civil discussion covered in the media. I'm seeing mostly fire-up-the-crowd speeches for one way or the other. This isn't a vote with you heart on your sleeve issue. It's complex, and needs civil, calm, cool headed insightful discourse. And pigs will fly, I know, I know.....

Azzy
01-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Is it me or did Senator Casey misuse the term "clip" ? Should have been "magazine".....splitting hairs I know. His flopping on the issue is total b.s....I knew he was sketchy on this stuff to begin with, so i'm not shocked he decided to ride the emotional tide. He is based in the Eastern side of the state, much closer geographically (and therefore the communities are tied a little tighter) to where this took place, so i can see his flopping probably being a saavy political move for votes on that side of the State. This is politics after all...it's your vote, then your rights...in that order...to these people. Well wait, maybe it's your vote, then the lobbyist cash, then your rights, in that order...yeah sounds closer to the truth.

Voting straight ticket is something i rarely do, and only if it happens that everyone i have chosen to support happens to be on the same side. I can't remember the last time that happened. There are good guys and bad guys on both sides of this issue, regardles of if they have an R or D next to their name.

I'd like to see some civil discussion covered in the media. I'm seeing mostly fire-up-the-crowd speeches for one way or the other. This isn't a vote with you heart on your sleeve issue. It's complex, and needs civil, calm, cool headed insightful discourse. And pigs will fly, I know, I know.....

Splitting hairs with clip and magazine right now... not going to do you any favors. its in the lexicon. Just like any offroad vehicle is a Jeep (must drive the Yota guys nuts).

JeepSteeler
01-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Oh I know. It's a personality flaw (mine). Some days the OCD creeps out.

wozz
01-12-2013, 03:51 PM
http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

For anyone who has not looked up reps, It doesn't get easier than this.