PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Transfer Question

Ronin152
01-07-2013, 05:34 PM
My grandfather used to deer hunt and had a .270 Remington rifle. When he passed away my uncle held on to it with the intent to pass it down. My uncle wanted to give me the rifle. Is there any type of background check/registration/paperwork that needs to be completed for him to give me the gun?

Azzy
01-07-2013, 05:54 PM
We have no registration in PA. Well, legally we dont. Long gun transfers party to party are OK in PA, as long a neither of you are a prohibited person.

Pistols can only be transfered without an FFL in state as long as it is going from grandparent to grandchild, or parent to child, or vice versa. Uncle, brother, etc, not applicable for pistols.

hyperbuzzin
01-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Pistols can only be transfered without an FFL in state as long as it is going from grandparent to grandchild, or parent to child, or vice versa. Uncle, brother, etc, not applicable for pistols.

So you're saying that a pistol needs to be transfered by ffl if I received a pistol from my uncles estate (not willed)?
My father was the executor of the estate.... does that make a difference?

Azzy
01-08-2013, 12:36 AM
So you're saying that a pistol needs to be transfered by ffl if I received a pistol from my uncles estate (not willed)?
My father was the executor of the estate.... does that make a difference?

By my understanding of the law, yes. Your uncle would be the owner, and you would be the transferee. Most estate attorneys don't understand the law, that would be something to talk to a good one that understands how it all works. But, IANAL.

http://www.foac-pac.org/law/220-section-6111-sale-or-transfer-of-firearms-

Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s), as defined under 18 Pa.C.S. § 6102 (relating to definitions), listed on this application/record of sale? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person, unless you are legitimately acquiring the firearm as a gift for any of the following individuals who are legally eligible to own a firearm:
(1) spouse;
(2) parent;
(3) child;
(4) grandparent; or
(5) grandchild.

Long guns, you can gift it to whomever the hell you want, heck, we can just play hot potato with an unloaded AR15 all day long yelling "I own it now" when we catch it. (odd kids party games)

joshs1ofakindxj
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
In addition to the above, just FYI, when a long gun is transferred across a state border there is supposed to be a FFL 4473 transfer done. Often overlooked and forgotten.