PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mountain bike

JeepGeneral
01-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Like the title says, I'm looking for a winter ride. Something capable of handling a little bit of snow on the local rails to trails. I ride a road bike all spring/summer/fall and probably won't spend much time on it other than in the winter.

Should I look for a cheap rigid 29" wheel bike or a 26" wheel with better components? Suspension is not a big deal to me as I will rarely actually ride "off-road". Looking to spend around $500 or less. I'm 6'0 and weigh around 200 lbs. I definitely don't mind something pre-owned.

What do you recommend?

Sycotik Skier
01-08-2013, 07:47 PM
nashbar makes a full rigid 29er single speed. Two of my friends along with myself have them. We have not had any problems with them what so ever. I love mine. They have discs front and rear. Although they are a single speed they do have provisions for cables and derailers if you are looking for gears

Sycotik Skier
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
here's a link to it. http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_502354_-1___202341 usually if you google coupon codes you can either get 20% off and or free shipping. Their wearhouse is in Canfield so stuff usually arrives very quickly

cjw94xk
01-13-2013, 11:59 PM
Another recomendation is a Diamondback Overdrive 29er. I bought one a few years ago to see if I would like the whole 29er thing. THe bike has held up flawlessly. I purchased it from Nashbar and I think I got it for under 500 shipped.

JeepGeneral
01-14-2013, 10:36 AM
I did a lot of reading and actually ended up with a Diamondback Overdrive. They have some 2012 models on amazon for $350! I ordered it Thursday afternoon and it was at my door Friday at noon. I took it out for a few miles yesterday and like it so far, the fork sucks I wish it had a lockout. I'll probably upgrade it over time but most decent forks cost as much as the bike did!

cjw94xk
01-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Awesome! The bike itself is very stout but I agree, the componets leave a lot to be desired. My philosophy, ride it unil it breaks. Also, keep an eye on craigslist. I occasionally see some nice 29er forks on there. Reba's, fox etc.

JeepGeneral
01-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Yea I always had the same philosophy. My road bike has mid grade components and I haven't broke anything after 2000 miles.

OverkillZJ
05-15-2013, 01:43 PM
I did a lot of reading and actually ended up with a Diamondback Overdrive. They have some 2012 models on amazon for $350! I ordered it Thursday afternoon and it was at my door Friday at noon. I took it out for a few miles yesterday and like it so far, the fork sucks I wish it had a lockout. I'll probably upgrade it over time but most decent forks cost as much as the bike did!

Hey Tom,

Do you still like it overall? Did you end up upgrading the fork? I'm looking at getting back into biking. I might even be heading to CO later this year to do an adventure race that involves 45 miles of mountain biking (then hiking, then kayaking.) It just looks like too much fun to not try :)

JeepGeneral
05-15-2013, 10:12 PM
For what I've used it for so far it's great. Its basically my "do all" bike when I'm not riding my road bike. I ise it alot on the crushed limestone trails and some light mountain biking. The front fork sucks for climbing hills, I would rather have a rigid fork. I've got it set as stiff as possible but don't do enough real mountain biking to justify spending $200+ on a new fork. For $500 I would have bought locally but for the price I got it for I'm real happy.

If you're looking for a bike locally head to Pro Bikes in Squirrel Hill and see my buddy Aaron. He is a bike nut and can set you up with a bike designed for whatever riding you want to do. I'm no expert and really like having a good relationship with a local bike shop. I just wish he was closer to Greensburg.

JeepGeneral
05-15-2013, 10:16 PM
I may also consider selling my current cyclocross/roadbike if you're looking for a nice bike with mid-level components. I have an offroad set of tires/wheels and a nice set of road wheels/tires. It's definitely not a mountain bike though.

OverkillZJ
05-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info - but no thanks on the cyclocross - still have mine! I'm looking for something that can get me back on the trails.