PDA

View Full Version : Open carry

2002wranglerX
01-15-2013, 05:24 PM
How's it work in PA? does the firearm need to be unloaded with x many steps to load?

how's it work in pa?

Mykal
01-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Does not have to be unloaded.

Lots of info with the code
http://paopencarry.org/open-carry-questions-answers

Basic law
http://www.pafoa.org/law/carrying-firearms/open-carry

Anyone whom can legally own a firearm in the commonwealth can openly carry, on foot, with the exception of court facilities, federal buildings, motor vehicles and cities of the first class (Philadelphia)
Those person possessing a valid License to Carry Firearms are also permitted to carry openly (or concealed) while in a vehicle and in cities of the first

joshs1ofakindxj
01-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Just be prepared to answer questions about the legality of open carry from those who are supportive, confrontational, and the curious/indifferent. I've encountered all three in my travels. Download, print, carry, and distribute the pa carry laws pamphlet you can find on pafoa. Thankfully I have never had police trouble but others have. Plan ahead.

Mykal
01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Agreed. Knowing the code verbatim and/or carrying a copy is a must.

skeebs
01-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Josh & Mykal, can either of you gentlemen post a quick link to the pamphlet(s) so I can do a quick click and print?

joshs1ofakindxj
01-16-2013, 12:48 PM
http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/59762-open-carry-what-you-should-know-before-you-do.html

Tons of info there and link to pamphlet...

http://paopencarry.org/pdfs/Pennsylvania_Gun_Rights.pdf

^Looks like a dead link...see below...

joshs1ofakindxj
01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Looks like that link isn't working and I can't locate it anywhere else so if you post or PM me your email address I will send you a copy.

skeebs
01-16-2013, 02:06 PM
pm sent, thanks Josh!

Yarz
01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Those person possessing a valid License to Carry Firearms are also permitted to carry openly (or concealed) while in a vehicle and in cities of the first

Also allows you to carry when we're under a State of Emergency
And I'm pretty sure it eliminates the 1000' (or 1500' I'm not exactly sure) restriction around school zones

joshs1ofakindxj
01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Also allows you to carry when we're under a State of Emergency
And I'm pretty sure it eliminates the 1000' (or 1500' I'm not exactly sure) restriction around school zones

State of emergency...yes you can carry with LTCF, and we are currently still in a state of emergency in PA thanks to that last big storm.

Your PA LTCF exempts you from the 1000' gun free school zone, BUT only in PA. So you are not exempt in a state that honors your LTCF. Likewise, a Utah or FL carry permit does not exempt you from a gun free school zone in PA.

Places you can not carry in PA:

-ANY court facility
-ANY Federal facility
-State Parks (unless you have the LTCF)
-Detention facilities
-Airport terminals (secure area only)
-Philadelphia public streets (unless you have the LTCF)
-Primary and secondary schools (however, statute allows for "a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful and supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose", Reference 18Pa.C.S.~912)

Carrying a firearm in establishments that sell or serve alcohol IS allowed in PA.

When I last visited KY, they do not allow firearms in establishments that serve alcohol. Boy did I have to chnage my habits.

Super Scout
01-16-2013, 02:30 PM
Question Josh, I was told that you can carry in a Bar, but not drink. And I mean drink, not get hammered. Can a person carrying a firearm goto a bar and have A drink. ?

joshs1ofakindxj
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Not only can you drink while carrying but you can get hammered. I've been doing it for over 3 years now and my drunken gun hasn't jumped out of its holster and shot anyone.

Also in PA you can carry on a college campus. There is no state or federal law against it, just school policy which usually involves suspension or expulsion for students and non students would be asked to leave. If you refuse to comply the police show up and ask you to leave. If you refuse to comply again you get a misdemeanor for trespassing. Same as any other place.

Super Scout
01-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Interesting good to know.

joshs1ofakindxj
01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
With that said, I have gone to the bar with someone that I wish did not bring their gun because they let everyone know they had it. Not smart or responsible. It's not for everyone so self evaluation is critical to keeping our ability to carry. Remember, if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Azzy
01-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Good info Josh.

I would also add that if you do not have a LTCF or a permit from another state that is honored, that you need to brush up on transportation laws. You cannot by law drive to where you are going, load, and OC. (One of those idiotic things FOAC is working on changing this year). AKA, without a LTCF, just purchasing a firearm and then stopping for lunch or say, to show your cousin, is a crime. We do not have the same federal provision that allows for "reasonable stops".

http://foac-pac.org/law/62-section-6106-firearms-not-to-be-carried-without-a-license

(emphasis added)

6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(a) Offense defined.--
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.
(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.
(2) Members of the army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.
(3) The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such firearms from the United States or from this Commonwealth.
(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
(5) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.
(6) Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.
(7) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.
(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
(9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.
(10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.
(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.
(12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.
(13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.
(14) A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).
(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:
(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.
(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.
(16) Any person holding a license in accordance with section 6109(f)(3).

(c) Sportsman's firearm permit.—
(1) Before any exception shall be granted under paragraph (b)(9) or (10) of this section to any person 18 years of age or older licensed to hunt, trap or fish or who has been issued a permit relating to hunting dogs, such person shall, at the time of securing his hunting, furtaking or fishing license or any time after such license has been issued, secure a sportsman's firearm permit from the county treasurer. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be issued immediately and be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years from the date of issue for any legal firearm, when carried in conjunction with a valid hunting, furtaking or fishing license or permit relating to hunting dogs. The sportsman's firearm permit shall be in triplicate on a form to be furnished by the Pennsylvania State Police. The original permit shall be delivered to the person, and the first copy thereof, within seven days, shall be forwarded to the Commissioner of the Pennsylvania State Police by the county treasurer. The second copy shall be retained by the county treasurer for a period of two years from the date of expiration. The county treasurer shall be entitled to collect a fee of not more than $6 for each such permit issued, which shall include the cost of any official form. The Pennsylvania State Police may recover from the county treasurer the cost of any such form, but may not charge more than $1 for each official permit form furnished to the county treasurer.
(2) Any person who sells or attempts to sell a sportsman's firearm permit for a fee in excess of that amount fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.

(d) Revocation of registration.--Any registration of a firearm under subsection (c) of this section may be revoked by the county treasurer who issued it, upon written notice to the holder thereof.

(e) Definitions.—
(1) For purposes of subsection (b)(3), (4), (5), (7) and (8), the term "firearm" shall include any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of the weapon.
(2) As used in this section, the phrase "place of instruction" shall include any hunting club, rifle club, rifle range, pistol range, shooting range, the premises of a licensed firearms dealer or a lawful gun show or meet.

joshs1ofakindxj
01-17-2013, 11:39 AM
^Good point. I often forget/don't pay attention to the additonal rules affecting those without an LTCF because I have mine. I got mine on my 21st birthday. I had that in my hands before I had my first legal drink. Just got my Utah concealed firearm permit. Priorities...

And for those that don't have their LTCF and are planning to get it soon due to current circumstances, I would say take off work and go early or something, because the sheriff's offices are overwhelmed right now. Some have a waiting line all day every day. Some have added additional hours to help out. I went for NFA fingerprints to Westmoreland County Sheriff office and there were a TON of people waiting to do paperwork/picture/background check.

2002wranglerX
01-17-2013, 12:18 PM
^Good point. I often forget/don't pay attention to the additonal rules affecting those without an LTCF because I have mine. I got mine on my 21st birthday. I had that in my hands before I had my first legal drink. Just got my Utah concealed firearm permit. Priorities...

And for those that don't have their LTCF and are planning to get it soon due to current circumstances, I would say take off work and go early or something, because the sheriff's offices are overwhelmed right now. Some have a waiting line all day every day. Some have added additional hours to help out. I went for NFA fingerprints to Westmoreland County Sheriff office and there were a TON of people waiting to do paperwork/picture/background check.

i've had my carry permit since i can't remember. my wife has had hers 2 years. definitely worth having

anodyne33
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
So here's a related question since I've been lurking in this thread the last two days. I have my LTCF from Westmoreland, but recently moved to Allegheny. Does it matter if the issuing county is different than my permanent address (although I still own a home in Westmoreland) and can I continue to renew in Westmoreland or can I renew it in Allegheny?

joshs1ofakindxj
01-17-2013, 01:21 PM
The PA LTCF is reconized state wide. When you change your PRIMARY residence you need to update your driver's license and voter's registration and nothing else as far as I know.

Azzy
01-17-2013, 01:26 PM
It will only matter when you go to renew. I moved right before my last renewal, so no issue. MY current renewal I got to take a 1/2 day off work because of the horrible Washington County office hours. 9-4 and only on weekdays.

Because no one that would need to use their office works during those times.

And a reminder to you folks who travel... check before you go to make sure that the state still honors our LTCF, AG Kane has stated it would be one of her priorities to dismantle reciprocity.

joshs1ofakindxj
01-17-2013, 01:30 PM
And a reminder to you folks who travel... check before you go to make sure that the state still honors our LTCF, AG Kane has stated it would be one of her priorities to dismantle reciprocity.

Or worse, you could leave and have a reciprocity agreement in place and halfway through your trip find out the agreement is null and void.

Super Scout
01-17-2013, 02:13 PM
What is her reasoning for doing this ? I really don't get it.

joshs1ofakindxj
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM

If I recall, awhile ago there was a media/politically generated crises about people prohibited from having a PA LTCF being able to obtain a FL concealed carry permit, so the anti's started a crusade on reciprocity agreements, which didn't matter until Kane, who is anti-gun, was elected with one of her promises to the anti's being that she would tear down every one of our reciprocity agreements.

These guys have some local classes coming up to get you a Utah or Arizona concealed carry permit and they do it at cost...

http://www.concealedcarryus.com/

I took their class and got my Utah permit about 1 - 2 months later.

JeepSteeler
01-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the link Josh. It's time i get off my butt and get the Utah permit...been putting it off too long.

justin'sbig7
01-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the link Josh. It's time i get off my butt and get the Utah permit...been putting it off too long.

me too. looks like a good idea to get.

Super Scout
01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Yup, I gotta get one.

JeepSteeler
01-18-2013, 10:06 AM
me too. looks like a good idea to get.

I went to the site and saw there is a class at the Fairfield Inn in Butler on Monday Feb 11 at 6pm. I contacted them via their website contact form and received a call within about an hour with the details. The price is $85 for the class, if you want them to do the fingerprints and photo id, then it's $100. Plus the $51 for the Utah processing. I signed up both me and my spouse - basically all you have to do is call or email them and you'll be registered. They will call you for a confirmation a few days prior to the class.

Maybe see ya there?

Azzy
01-18-2013, 10:50 AM

If I recall, awhile ago there was a media/politically generated crises about people prohibited from having a PA LTCF being able to obtain a FL concealed carry permit, so the anti's started a crusade on reciprocity agreements, which didn't matter until Kane, who is anti-gun, was elected with one of her promises to the anti's being that she would tear down every one of our reciprocity agreements.

She campaigned on being Ceasefire rated because of her stnace to end the "Florida Loophole". Basically, if you live in philly or that area, and you try to get a LTCF, they can not accept your permit for any number of reasons. My understanding is that if you are young, happen to be of a ethnic background that isnt white, and live in philly, then the police there are very likely to not grant your permit under the "character clause". Or, if you have too many parking tickets, or looked at a cop the wrong way once, or happen to be politically connected in the wrong way.

(Character clauses, not to mention the whole permitting system, dates back to Jim Crow laws and the Sullivan Act in NY, cant have those "undesirables" no matter their character, armed. )

pittim
01-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Another source for classses is Lethal Force, just another option that might have classes closer to you (my case) than offered thru CC US.
http://www.lethalforce.com/classes

Bill
01-20-2013, 11:10 AM
I have to chime in on this one... Open carry is legal, and I support the concept. Let me say that up front.

That being said, sometimes open carry isn't worth the effort. Concealed carry is the way to go in my opinion. (Yes, it is an opinion.) Open carry is sure to get you attention. At times it even screams "I am an attention whore." Its going to get attention from everyone that comes into view, both law enforcement and everyone else good and bad. It is going to scare children, moms and dads, the elderly, and everyone else that has a fear of guns - and in today's society that is a growing number.

I work in plain clothes most of the time and I conceal my weapon the majority of the time. When working, I have a badge positioned right next to my firearm and I still get looks on the rare instances where someone actually catches a glimpse of the gun. Honestly, I would prefer to not have that type of attention out in public. There isn't many times I can recall leaving the house without a firearm. 99% of those times I am concealing that weapon. (When not working) I carry the weapon for self-protection and I don't like or need the attention that comes with an exposed firearm.

If you are going to carry a firearm you need to realize that how you carry it doesn't negate the important factors of possessing a firearm. First and foremost - TRAINING. If your handgun manipulation skills suck I don't care how good of a target shooter you are, it will not matter. If you can't function on a two-way range I don't care how many times you can hit a bullseye on a paper target, it will not matter. If your handgun retention skills are not up to par you may be looking down the barrel of your own gun (even more of a chance if you open carry and use a simple single-retention holster.) There is so much more to having a firearm than shooting at paper target. Some of the best training you can do doesn't even involve firing a single round. Training is key. Train every day, even if it is dry-fire drills, or clearing your clothing while practicing your draw. Do trigger control drills or work on the 5-point draw. None of those will cost a penny in ammo, but will improve your handgun manipulation skills and ultimately your target placement.

2002wranglerX
01-20-2013, 11:57 AM
I was just curious. I don't see myself ever carrying openly but since it is legal I was interested in what's required.

Pa open carry didn't say "you can carry loaded" etc.

I prefer concealed. Like today at the grocery story. No wierd looks. No questions. Nobody knows the difference.

Azzy
01-20-2013, 12:07 PM
As someone who has openly carried for years, I never get any of those looks, and have only been questioned say, 3 or 4 times. Usually those questions are by people who are genuinely interested. (this includes openly wearing a holster while conduction business in an unfriendly (to carry) office environment. No one bats an eye, and i doubt most of them even realize it is on me 1/2 the time)

Support carry of firearms, regardless of if it is covered by a piece of cloth or not.

Plus, we live in a society where our schooling system has educated countless generations that only police and soldiers have the right (and related responsibilities). One of the largest reoccurring complaint about allowing teachers to carry is that kids will think it is alright to carry firearms for protection.

Mykal
01-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Open carry is sure to get you attention. At times it even screams "I am an attention whore."
Its going to get attention from everyone that comes into view, both law enforcement and everyone else good and bad. It is going to scare children, moms and dads, the elderly, and everyone else that has a fear of guns - and in today's society that is a growing number.

Thats more on the end of the person viewing the person with a gun. If more people open carried where it was legal then it wouldnt be out of the "normal".
People are conditioned to think guns are bad and no one has them except police or bad guys.
I open carry on a regular basis. I am not an attention whore.
Again, conditioned to be afraid. Guns are not scary. People that carry them are not scary.
I open carry and I have never noticed a scared person or strange looks. Im pretty good at noticing my surroundings.

If you are going to carry a firearm you need to realize that how you carry it doesn't negate the important factors of possessing a firearm. First and foremost - TRAINING. If your handgun manipulation skills suck I don't care how good of a target shooter you are, it will not matter. If you can't function on a two-way range I don't care how many times you can hit a bullseye on a paper target, it will not matter. If your handgun retention skills are not up to par you may be looking down the barrel of your own gun (even more of a chance if you open carry and use a simple single-retention holster.) There is so much more to having a firearm than shooting at paper target. Some of the best training you can do doesn't even involve firing a single round. Training is key. Train every day, even if it is dry-fire drills, or clearing your clothing while practicing your draw. Do trigger control drills or work on the 5-point draw. None of those will cost a penny in ammo, but will improve your handgun manipulation skills and ultimately your target placement.

Agreed, whole heartedly.

justin'sbig7
01-20-2013, 12:33 PM
I like the idea of OC, and must say that more people carrying openly would help greatly to reduce the shock of seeing a gun as well as desensitize the unfamiliar. however, at times like these IMHO its probably not the best time to start if you choose. I agree very much with Bill, I prefer concealed to keep the eyes away and maintain the element of surprise if needed, ace in the hole if you will. i dont want a crook that is still concealing his "crook-ness" to know i am armed. It would make me the first target or possibly be the gun for him to surprise grab and use.

The rally at harrisburg this wednesday, where we're mixed with Antis, what if an anti grabs someones arm from their holster to prove a point? They have warned that these people have a history of spitting on and heckling pro gun folks, so if an unsecured OC firearm gets nabbed and an anti runs off with it or worse shoots it off were screwed.

Azzy
01-20-2013, 01:00 PM
If someone grabs your firearm, you have 2 issues. one, they are committing a felony (IIRC) that warrants an appropriate response. Two, you have a retention issue. Retention is not a mechanical problem, it is a mindset and training problem.

(Well, its a mechanical problem if you have soem crappy unkie mike's "holster" and a $3 belt from walmart)

Take a good retention class sometime, FIRE Institute has a very good one.

justin'sbig7
01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
If someone grabs your firearm, you have 2 issues. one, they are committing a felony (IIRC) that warrants an appropriate response. Two, you have a retention issue. Retention is not a mechanical problem, it is a mindset and training problem.

(Well, its a mechanical problem if you have soem crappy unkie mike's "holster" and a $3 belt from walmart)

Take a good retention class sometime, FIRE Institute has a very good one.

Very good points that further support and excentuate the responsibility needed for OC.

HoodRN
01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
I had a guy in front of me in line at Panera this morning that was carrying a Glock openly. He had people all around him, no weird looks or questions. I'm normally armed like a Mexican bandit. However, my stuff remains under wraps.

88wd21
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
New to the whole owning a gun thing period (never was against them, just never looked into owning before) so I don't see open carry as something I want to grab attention for as I don't want to spew out bad info and "duh I dunno" probably ain't a good image for those who can give good info to people who I'm sure ask. I commend and support those who responsibly carry openly though, just not for me personally.

busij44
01-20-2013, 03:05 PM
I like the concept of OC. If you look at some states, they actually promote it. People walk city streets and other public areas while carrying and no one blinks an eye, its a culture issue. The culture else where is "guns are bad" and alot of people only associate them with crime and tradagies. We can thank biased media coverage for alot of this type of thinking. People of this mindset don't recognize the crime deterrent that goes along with OC or CCW for that matter. Although its perfectly legal, I wouldn't want to walk down main street here in Butler exercising my right to OC. I'm sure I'd be talking to an LEO before I made it to the other end of town. I have OC'ed (and stiil do) in more rural areas with no issues. Concealed carry has its place, the problem with it is when 99% of the public doesn't see a gun on you, there isn't one.....out of sight, out of mind. I think more OC would start to change the "guns are bad" culture. One of the things I like to tell people who are anti-gun is to think like a criminal. If you are a strung out tweaker, crack head, or pick your junkie of choice (as we have many here in Butler now) and you need money for a fix. How would you feel about trying to rob, mug, or try to pull off any other crime when in the last few days you have seen numerous people openly carrying weapons on them on the same streets you are walking.

As Bill stated, OC to be done responsibly. Training and practice are your friends. There is alot of responsibility and liability that goes along with carrying a firearm, open or concealed. Situational awareness is probably one of the most under rated aspects of avoiding trouble whether you are carrying or not.

joshs1ofakindxj
01-20-2013, 03:18 PM
I open carried all day yesterday at the gun show. Firearm on right side, two loaded mags in mag holder on the left side. They had me unload and zip-lock it at the door. No big deal. They had a special thingy dingy to point your firearm into when you cleared it. No one said anything about it and I wasn't expecting anyone to, but I didn't see many others open carrying. I was surprised how many police were inside the show. After the show, I loaded back up, went to 5 Guys for a burger around lunch time, and it was packed. I saw some people looking indifferently but no one said anything. I usually carry the PA Gun rights flyer but I forgot them yesterday. No one asked any questions anyways.

I've noticed for the most part, 95% of people don't notice. So many people have tunnel vision and just focus on what they're doing and don't pay attention to me. Why would they? I wear plain clothes and act/look average. I can't tell you how many times I went into a store OC and was certain no one noticed.

Maybe I am an attention whore, just a little, but I'm mainly someone that wants the general public to know that it is legal. Also I find it way more comfortable than concealing.

I never have a problem OC at Walmart, Lowes, Advance Auto, Sears, Starbucks, Dino's, Sheetz, etc. In the years I've been carrying in the Ligonier, Greensburg, Belle Vernon, Johsntown areas I have only had two encounters that I even hesitate to call negative. I have also OC'ed in other areas of the state on little trips. I have had only a few more positive encounters, with people complimenting my firearm choice or telling me about theirs.

Agree on the training and situational awareness.

Azzy
01-20-2013, 06:52 PM
I think you could walk down the street with no pants and get more attention than openly carrying a firearm. unless you are openly carrying a long gun, but thats a topic for another thread.

gonecheenin
02-20-2013, 07:20 AM
For reasons I have thought through pretty heavily I was open carrying yesterday.

Went to the Schrecks RV, GetGo in Hyde Park for fuel (Right acrossed from the magistrate's office), and Shultz's sportsmans stop outside Apollo on rt 56 - and never got a second look anywhere but Shultz's (and I'm pretty sure he was just trying to remember what pistol he sold me - Lol)

I'm not saying I'll always OC everywhere I go, but I think the right has more good reasons to exercise it than it does bad and I want to do my part (Along with honestly just feeling it's WAY more comfortable AND rationalizing that it takes the attention OFF my wife who conceal carrys and now has time to step away & get to her weapon if a bad scenerio ever does arise (fingers crossed that never happens in my lifetime))

BTW: If anyone is interested, there are open carry groups in the area that sponsor awareness walks & picnics & such that I'm looking into possibly joining up with myself.

PatF10
02-20-2013, 08:48 AM
Agree on the training and situational awareness.

Thats really just it in anything today people dont pay attention to what is going on around them at all. When you leave a place take a look around and see if something looks suspicious. Most people dont they have that tunnel vision that doesnt believe that there are dangerous people around.

Azzy
02-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Thats the first step of of self defense. Suggested to my wife that whe not try and drown out everyone with the ipod when she goes out walking... because she just threw out 1 entire sense, and has to reply only on sight to identify any sort of issue.

joshs1ofakindxj
02-20-2013, 03:40 PM
For reasons I have thought through pretty heavily I was open carrying yesterday.

Glad to hear you had an uneventful day. That's how they all should be.

DMG
02-20-2013, 04:53 PM
I was out in the woods in the AM with a GP100 in a relatively high-riding pancake holster. I left it on in Panera, Sams club, etc with a T-shirt over it. It is more comfortable than IWB and no one noticed.

gonecheenin
02-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Thats really just it in anything today people dont pay attention to what is going on around them at all. When you leave a place take a look around and see if something looks suspicious. Most people dont they have that tunnel vision that doesnt believe that there are dangerous people around.

You're right - And I honestly think that same awareness will alot of times keep you out of having to deal with trouble in general. If something doesn't feel or look right, go a different way if you can. The best self defense is avoiding the need to defend yourself at all if possible imho.

I'm not saying I wouldn't go through the Hood in the middle of the night if I had a solid reason too (And I've actually done that even before I carried a weapon I might add), but given the choice or time I'd normally go around through an area that feels or looks safer cause I have no desire to deal with a crappy situation if I don't have too (Not that I'm advocating dropping your guard in even a "Safe" area, but the percentages definitely lean more to your favor in better environments).