PDA

View Full Version : 9mm VS .40

Mykal
01-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Opinions?

I havent fired a .40 caliber hand gun. Im a glock fan. I have heard that the .40 is an unpleasant round to shoot. Some say the recoil bothers them. I was not aware that the ballistics were so different.

Anyone around Morgantown have a Glock 23 I could take a couple shots with in the next few days?
Also looking at an XD 9MM for the girlfriends first carry weapon. Anyone have one of those as well?

This article makes some points that seem valid to me. Thoughts?
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/being-wrong-is-important-and-admitting-it-is-too-or-why-rob-pincus-prefers-the-9mm-over-the-40-for-defense/11563/

Azzy
01-22-2013, 06:17 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/10mmPenetration.jpg

.40 is fine f you want it. I dumped all mine because of issues with my hands and muscle / nerve damage. Much nicer to shoot 100 rds of 9mm, costs less, so more practice, and I can fit 2 more rounds in the gun.

And one other thing... Let your girlfriend pick out her own pistol. not everyone's hads are built the same, make sure it fits her grip, and the angle is confortable. I know some people who cant shoot a glock or an M&P to save their life, but are fine with an XD, and Im the opposite. That all comes down to ergonomics.

DMG
01-22-2013, 06:25 PM
I have a compact (G27) and full size (G22). They are both fine to shoot. If you are going to be near PGH soon you can try them both.

Mykal
01-22-2013, 06:26 PM
And one other thing... Let your girlfriend pick out her own pistol. not everyone's hads are built the same, make sure it fits her grip, and the angle is confortable. I know some people who cant shoot a glock or an M&P to save their life, but are fine with an XD, and Im the opposite. That all comes down to ergonomics.

Agreed. I took her to the 3 local gun shops in our area tonight to put hands on just about every major brand, frame and caliber.

justin'sbig7
01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
I like the .40 but recently I have heard a great argument against it: Its more powerful than a 9mm, but not by a whole lot, magazine capacity wise the 9mm chambered guns will hold 15+ without an extended mag. the .40 is not nearly as powerful as a .45 acp, and the typical magazine capacities are about the same.

I love my .40, either round will be fine. I have based my rationalization on the fact that 9mm is a standard military cartridge, and .40 is a very widely used round in LE and Homeland sec.

So the possibility of finding either in a SHTF scenario is pretty good

Mykal
01-22-2013, 06:39 PM
I like the .40 but recently I have heard a great argument against it: Its more powerful than a 9mm, but not by a whole lot, magazine capacity wise the 9mm chambered guns will hold 15+ without an extended mag. the .40 is not nearly as powerful as a .45 acp, and the typical magazine capacities are about the same.

I love my .40, either round will be fine. I have based my rationalization on the fact that 9mm is a standard military cartridge, and .40 is a very widely used round in LE and Homeland sec.

So the possibility of finding either in a SHTF scenario is pretty good

Magazine capacity is a big thing for myself and her especially.
I agree completely on the SHTF scenario.

2002wranglerX
01-22-2013, 07:42 PM
I like the way .40 shoots.

But I also don't have a vagina.

A friend of mine who knows his stuff (fed level law enforcement) carries .357 sig on the job and .40 in his house.

I personally have been carrying my .45 for in the glove and .40 for iwb. I carried 9mm up till now with 124 graine hollow points. But my wife has since claimed that gun.

2002wranglerX
01-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Ill be through Morgantown Friday if you want to shoot the baby eagle.

Assuming it doesn't blizzard.

ridgerunner97
01-22-2013, 07:47 PM
I have a .40 and a 9mm. The 9mm is a compact carry gun and small and light, Keltec. I don't notice recoil at all and never have. I've always been a fan of the .40-.45 cal firearms, however I don't hate the 9mm. In a typical situation a 9mm will kill em just as dead as a .45 will. My .40 is a full size Ruger P91 don't notice the recoil at all and it sends a 165-180gr round down range with satisfying authority. It all boils down to what feels good in yours and Heather's hands. If your worried about high cap to handle multiple threats w/o reload then go 9mm. I'm a Ruger and Springfield man because they fit my hand, period.

PAFirefighter49
01-22-2013, 08:32 PM
My girlfriend carries a Ruger LC9. Very compact for a 9mm and recoil isn't bad either. It's a long trigger pull, though...my only complaint...but you actually have to Want to shoot something to make the gun fire, so not at all a bad thing.

I conceal a .40

Mykal
01-23-2013, 01:43 PM
I put hands on a G23, G30 and G36 today.
I dont like that the G36 is 6+1.
I do like that the G30 is 10+1.

toss up between the G23 vs G30.
Decisions....

HoodRN
01-23-2013, 11:20 PM
I only see the ones that live long enough to see the ER. Pick a caliber. If you hit someone in the pump/lungs/major vessels (triangle, nipples to nose) they are in trouble. At that point they'll likely forget about attacking you and concentrate on breathing a for a few more minutes, or communicating with their maker. Remember, it's not the arrow, it's the indian.

Mykal
01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I picked up the Glock 30sf .45 10+1
She picked up the XD9mm 3" barrel

Thanks for the input.

Azzy
01-26-2013, 11:55 PM
I picked up the Glock 30sf .45 10+1
She picked up the XD9mm 3" barrel

Thanks for the input.

Good stuff. Any plans for training classes (preferably separate ones)?

Mykal
01-27-2013, 12:04 PM
Good stuff. Any plans for training classes (preferably separate ones)?

WV requires a basic handgun safety course before you can apply for a concealed carry permit. We will both be taking that.
I plan to have her take a few more "classes" as well. Retention will be one of the first.
Ive had most of the "classes" in one form or another in the past due to my work history.
Im comfortable teaching her my part but im getting old so I'd like to just reinforce the basics.