PDA

View Full Version : My AR-15 Build

HeepH8erTy
02-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Wahooo! Its finally under way lol

Started with an Aero Precision stripped lower

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/hardbodyty/2013-01-29_22-37-31_165.jpg

Then at the gun show this weekend, I got my lower parts kit, a flat top upper reciever, Magpul grip, magpul stock and toob, and the bolt assembly

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/hardbodyty/IMG_20130202_120240_zps8dfcc452.jpg

Spent the rest of the day playing around putting most of it together

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/hardbodyty/IMG_20130202_160940_zps853fd3d8.jpg

I'm pretty damn sure that all I need to get it in firing shape is the barrel and charging handle... and a .22 conversion kit so I can actually shoot it haha

What do ya guys think? Anyone have any of the parts I need? I also need the little spring that helps to hold in the front take-down pin. I tried for about a half an hour to get the spring and the little follower thing down into the hole and put the take-down pin in. After launching the spring and follower across the room about 10 times, I finally managed to phuck up the spring lol So I just need one of them springs and someone to tell me a good way to get the phucker in there. I was thinkin maybe if i got it to go down into the hole, I could maybe use a flat feeler gauge to hold in it while I slide the take-down pin in? I was able to get the rear one in alright, but that one is a lot less tricky

joshs1ofakindxj
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
I snip about 1/8" off that pivot pin detent spring before I even think about putting it in there. Never caused a problem with the shorter spring. They make a special tool that looks like an Allen key with a hole through it for assembly but I found others were just trimming the springs. I'll have to check when I get home if I have an extra spring.

Are you going with a free floating hand guard/quad rail or a standard type? Don't forget about that and your front sight or gas block and the gas tube.

Do you have the armorer wrench?

I like the BCM Gunfighter charging handle with the medium latch.

What's your plan for optics or irons?

The_War_Wagon
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
The forward pop pin, that holds the upper in place? I never had any problem with those before!

Any reputable pin/spring kit should include it... of course, in this crush, I haven't tried to order anything. :icon_eyes: If you have a local shoppe that carries black rifles, they MIGHT have spare spring laying around.

Looks good otherwise - I run a Tactical Solutions dedicated upper on mine (also on an Aero Precision lower, curiously enough!). I would also strongly consider Nordic Systems uppers. When I started building mine a few years, TacSol was da' BOMB, but by the time I finished, Nordic was a quality player in the dedicated .22 upper market.

I've had 0 problems - 0 FTF's - 0 FTE's with my TacSol - I've no plans to replace it, but IF I were building one today, I'd seriously look at Nordic as well.

Here's mine. :047:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_7631.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_7624.jpg

I'm running a Troy rear FBS now - that's the only change since this picture was made.

joshs1ofakindxj
02-04-2013, 07:43 PM
I found a spare detent spring. It's yours free if you come get it. Or if you can get to Bentleyville at 4:30 M-F I can meet you.

toocheaptosmoke
02-04-2013, 08:49 PM
I went through the same thing with that damn spring! It would coil bind before the detent would go in far enough, eventually just said F it and cut it down. :042: I used a dowel pin punch the same dia. as the take down pin to slide over the detent pin from the opposite side, then push out the punch with the pin.

joshs1ofakindxj
02-04-2013, 11:32 PM

hahahahaha

HeepH8erTy
02-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Yea that spring sucks. I ended up cutting the spring off where I bent it (~1/8") and that made it easier. Once i got the detent in the hole, i used a razor blade to hold it place and slide the pin over the blade and in. But I do appreciate it Josh, thanks.

I plan to run maybe a 5x on the top and have flip up iron sights 45deg. off to the right side. When I first get it together, I'll probably end up just slapping on some flip ups until i get the scope. I'd like to save and get a real nice one, but I dont know much about whats out there...but Im in no hurry, i'll get it eventually. Id like to not have any of the sights that are permanently attached to the barrel and run a low pro gas block

So where can I get barrel stuff now? And the floating rail/handguard? Who makes the good sheeiiit? Are you sayin I should be lookin for Nordic parts? Can I get lightweight alum rails? Or do I want steel? I'd like to keep the gun as light as possible. I was playing with my buddy's AR last night and it just seemed a little on the heavy side for what it is.

Sweet AR by the way war wagon, i cant wait to get a bunch of cool stuff on mine lol How do you like that 45deg front grip? i was contemplating trying one of those out

The_War_Wagon
02-05-2013, 09:27 AM
I plan to run maybe a 5x on the top and have flip up iron sights 45deg. off to the right side. When I first get it together, I'll probably end up just slapping on some flip ups until i get the scope. I'd like to save and get a real nice one, but I dont know much about whats out there...but Im in no hurry, i'll get it eventually. Id like to not have any of the sights that are permanently attached to the barrel and run a low pro gas block

Offset sights are a, 'interesting' gizmo, but you'd be better off going with a 1x optic (Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon), and co-witness your BUIS through (this is going to be a dedicated .22LR build, correct?). I DETEST cheap optics, BUT... on a .22LR AR, you'll have NO recoil, and might could get away with a cheaper red dot. Magpul BUIS won't break the bank, and on a .22, you don't have to worry about them melting off your gas block.

So where can I get barrel stuff now? And the floating rail/handguard? Who makes the good sheeiiit? Are you sayin I should be lookin for Nordic parts? Can I get lightweight alum rails? Or do I want steel? I'd like to keep the gun as light as possible. I was playing with my buddy's AR last night and it just seemed a little on the heavy side for what it is.

Nordic Systems and Tactical Solutions both make dedicated .22 uppers. As for rails, you'll still have to do that on your own, as they generally slap A2 handguards on them from the factory. I actually had a set of DD Omega FSX rails laying around, and used them on mine, but at $180 USED :jawdrop:, that might be a bit steep for most folks. Witjh a dedicated .22, I will say, this is the ONE TIME where you can cheap out, and use Airsoft gear on an actual rifle. Mine is all genuine, save for that ARMS 41B folding front sight on mine... it's a $31 Airsoft knockoff! The real one cost $150, but since there is no 'gas block' on a .22, it was a corner I could legitimately cut. Ditto on your rails and furniture.

Sweet AR by the way war wagon, i cant wait to get a bunch of cool stuff on mine lol How do you like that 45deg front grip? i was contemplating trying one of those out

I've run a couple of carbine classes with my 5.56 rifles - I discovered EARLY on, the TangoDown grip does NOT promote a positive grip in MY case (I was 'choking the chicken' with it, and pulling shots low & left). I tried the AVG, in order to promote a better grip, and sure enough - it WORKS for me!

It's fugly, and lot of folks DON'T like them, but it WORKS for me, and THAT'S what matters. Since they're only around $20-$25 a piece (last I priced one), you're not out a lot if you don't like it and sell it used.

joshs1ofakindxj
02-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Give Cory at CDS Arms a call or friend him on facebook to learn more about "good sheeeeeet". I keep my rifles simple.

HeepH8erTy
02-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Well, the gun is not going to be a dedicated .22. I just wanted to get a conversion kit so I could slap it in and poke holes in paper on the cheap. Eventually I would absolutely love to make the upper that am building now be a dedicated .22 upper and then buy a nice dedicated .223 upper and have a scope on each. But for now, .223 with the ability to shoot .22. Thanks for the idea about the airsoft stuff lol never really thought about it. Since I'm building this slowly over time, cost of stuff isn't really that huge of an issue. That being said, I would like a 3 or 5 power on it with the cool ass side sights lol and I think I'll hafta get one of those front grips then. I think the front vertical grip feels weird too.

Josh, I keep hearing about this guy, I'm gonna hafta give him a call or stop by his place when I get my tax return back. I kinda wanna keep this thing simple too, I really dont want to have eleventy-billion add-ons on it. I dont need it and it looks silly imo

joshs1ofakindxj
02-05-2013, 11:16 AM
He doesn't have a store front or posted hours so don't bother trying to stop by.

HeepH8erTy
02-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Well that helps. Yea, I'll give him a call wen I get more $$$$$$$