PDA

View Full Version : Open diff - limited slip - locker: pro's & con's in western PA

The_War_Wagon
02-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Trying to figure out how to set up my Ramcharger for both pavement AND off-road. :017:

Yeah, it WILL go off-road in western PA (no south Georgia mud-bogging - no climbing the Moab), but I'm an hour away from "off-road" in ALL directions. So it WILL see pavement, especially in little 1x-2x/weekly short hops, to keep all the fluids churning. And yeah, it WILL see some snow in Pittsburgh.

Would limited slip at BOTH ends be the best compromise? ARB is nice, but a LOT pricier than I wanna go for a toy that won't see 500 miles a year. Feel free to chime in with thoughts and insights (even if ARB is your suggestion - I'm taking notes still... scratching lottery tickets...), as I think about the next stage of this project.

joshs1ofakindxj
02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I would put an Aussie in the front and call it Done. I've been daily driving with one in the front since about 2007. Once you get used to harmless noises its really no big deal. Easy to install. I used to run them front and rear but the front is all you really need for trail riding with all the weight up front. Running in 4wd on the road in snow could get you into a slide when gassing it so I don't run in 4wd unless I need it.

Mykal
02-12-2013, 08:41 PM
I would put an Aussie in the front and call it Done. I've been daily driving with one in the front since about 2007. Once you get used to harmless noises its really no big deal. Easy to install. I used to run them front and rear but the front is all you really need for trail riding with all the weight up front. Running in 4wd on the road in snow could get you into a slide when gassing it so I don't run in 4wd unless I need it.

Agreed even though you are going to get people saying its scary in the snow and not to do it. They are flat out wrong.
Or just weld the rear end since its not a daily driver. Itll be fine.

ridgerunner97
02-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Ramcharger has a CAD front end, a CAD 44, go aussie up front and a posi lock, get 2wd low and easier turning offroad by just throwing the front end in and out. Go Aussie out back or a lock right, I don't know if Aussie makes a locker for the Chrysler 9.25 or not...limited slips bring the gay PERIOD.

DMG
02-13-2013, 12:31 AM
I would weld the rear and put a limited slip up front or just leave the front open. Also, I dont recall if it has hubs. If it doesnt, get them and eliminate the cad.

ridgerunner97
02-13-2013, 05:59 AM
I just remembered, he did put lockouts on it and it still has CAD...

Super Scout
02-13-2013, 08:13 AM
Locker front and rear, what the hell less than 500 miles a year its not a race car. 2 wheel drive low, I love it most of the time on the trail I spend in 2 wheel drive low. Makes turning a breeze. Only had the Scout on the road in 4 wheel drive a few times but it was never scary, just not a race car. I ran it home in front wheel drive once, and the steering just always wants to go straight. Once you aware of that and adjust your driving style you care fine.

The_War_Wagon
02-13-2013, 08:20 AM
I would weld the rear and put a limited slip up front or just leave the front open. Also, I dont recall if it has hubs. If it doesnt, get them and eliminate the cad.

I'll have to confess to being a Philistine on this topic. What does that involve, and what will it do (how will it perform) afterward? Thanks!

Super Scout
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Welding the spider gears. Basically the spider gears are welded together, it will give a fully locked rear end. Never a drove a fully locked rig, but on something as big as a Ram Charger you would probably not even notice it. It will chirp the tires going around sharp bends, and give you great traction.

joshs1ofakindxj
02-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Only downside I've experienced is your back end will slide around a lot more in snow and ice if you gas it.

oros35
02-13-2013, 01:01 PM
I would lock the front, Aussie locker is good compromise between cost and function. It's what I run in my jeep and am very pleased. I would lock the front first, my experience from running just the rear, or just the front, is a locker in the front is more helpful than one in the rear. Plus with lockout hubs, it will be invisible on the street.

A limited slip is better than no traction aid. But I wouldn't spend alot of money on one, just get a full locker and be done.

I wouldn't weld the rear, unless you can't afford a couple hundred for a locker. Welded rear is the cheap way of doing it. An actual locker is much better. Again anything is better than an open diff. Welding it is inbetween open and a locker.

ralandry11
02-13-2013, 01:45 PM
I recently move from New Mexico with my 05 LJ. I have Aussie Lockers in the front and Limited Slip in the rear. I have done a lot of rock crawling back west with that combo. Plus I use my jeep daily. I feel with that combo would work for you. It does snow in New Mexico and I haven't had a problem with the combo, as long you take it easy.

SirFuego
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Locking either end will make a night and day difference. Let's assume you only have the funds to do one axle...

An auto locker is only locked when you are on the gas, so you can "unlock" it by letting off of the gas. If you get an auto locker like an Aussie/LockRite/Spartan/Detroit for the front, you won't really notice it on the road in 2WD -- except perhaps some clacking noise going around turns. In 4wd, you may notice some "understeer" and that it's a bit harder to turn and will create more stress on your steering. Although, you are probably only in 4wd in slick conditions, so it won't stress the steering out as much.

Any type of rear locker is a challenge in the snow/ice in 2wd. Although once you switch to 4wd, you pretty much regain control in the snow. Although a locked rear can be fun in the snow if you are able to get the powerslide/fishtailing controlled with practice.

A welded diff will create additional wear on the tires and you'll probably get used to a chirping sound going around corners. You are also more likely to spin out/fishtail with a welded diff.

Back before most of the guys in our group went big, some of us only locked one axle. I noticed that people with rear lockers GENERALLY had easier times in certain types of obstacles than those with front lockers -- and vice versa. The key word there being "generally", so there will always be the occasional counter-example, but anyways...

- A rear locker is generally better for "high RPM" stuff like mud and hill climbs. "Pushing" is easier than "pulling" (which is why all 2wd musclecars/supercars are rear wheel drive), so you are giving yourself more traction where you are getting your best use of power. This is the type of terrain you are most likely to encounter in Western PA.
- A front locker is generally better for slower stuff, like rocks and dry ledges, where you need to "pull" yourself up the obstacle first then just bump/drag your rear end over. This is the type of terrain you'll see out west and, to a lesser extent, at a lot of the parks within a few hours of Pitt.

DMG
02-13-2013, 11:53 PM
At only 500 miles a year the tire wear from a welded rear will be minimal. Any automatic locker is locked when you are on the gas so I doubt a welded rear will make you more likely to spin out than a Detroit or Lockright, etc.

Toyota 3rd members are the same front and rear. I have an automatic locker in one and one is welded and I tried it both ways. For driving in snow, wet roads, dry roads, anywhere I have found that running welded in the rear is preferable to an automatic locker. YMMV

justin'sbig7
02-14-2013, 06:59 AM
I would wheel it open first. Run it as is, see what you like and learn the rig. Many people don't do this anymore and I truly think if you start out without all the extra goodies it will teach you more off road driving technique. Depending on what type of wheelin you personally enjoy, lockers may not be needed. I know I went many many, places and wheeled a long time before I got lockers.

DMG
02-14-2013, 09:47 AM
I think Justin has it right. Take it out and wheel it without lockers/gears and see what you actually need.

dan58
02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
running welded in the rear is preferable to an automatic locker. YMMV

I'd have to agree here. You never have that mystery unlocking from a detroit.